Full-Time Art Sales Manager
The Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts (PAFA) is seeking an Arts Sales Manager to manage and oversee the sale of artwork produced by PAFA students, alumni, faculty and the Brodsky Center at PAFA.
This individual will be responsible for analyzing business opportunities and enabling the sale of PAFA art. In addition to an active external facing sales-driven role, key activities may include new business opportunity analysis, current business performance evaluation, peer/industry analysis and benchmarking, and customer acquisition and retention initiatives. The Arts Sales Manager is expected to work collaboratively and cross-functionally with the key departments at PAFA including Marketing & Communications, the School, and the Museum to effectively communicate the results of his/her findings in an effective manner.
This person will work 100% in tandem with Director of the Brodsky Center with an appreciation of production deadlines, artworks content, artists’ needs and priorities, the Brodsky Center at PAFA’s mission, and the details of selling editions. He/she has a direct reporting relationship to the Chief Marketing Officer.
- Generate and influence sales from the outset to closing.
- Manage, deepen, report and increase relationships with a portfolio of clients to sell PAFA’s work.
- Translate social connections and relationships within the community into business opportunities and transactions.
- Address and anticipate clients’ needs and become a trusted advisor to priority clients.
- Develop a thorough understanding of clients’ collecting interests to facilitate and leverage the breadth of PAFA’s art sale opportunities
- Track, analyze, and report sales regularly and accurately.
- Build strategies to advance client relationships and increase engagement with PAFA.
- Identify and cultivate prospective clients.
- Create visibility for PAFA within the relevant art communities
- Drive transactions through auction, private sale, art fairs, and e-commerce opportunities and deliver on determined revenue targets.
- Generate business opportunities through organized visits with galleries, museums, art fairs, and individual collectors, interior designers and corporations.
- Identify and attend relevant social and art world events in the region and make recommendations for participation.
- Maintain and update various web pages dedicated to PAFA’s art sales.
- Bachelor’s degree in Art, Art History, Museum Studies, or other related fields with at least 2-5 years related museum or gallery art sales experience.
- Pro-active self-starter who demonstrates leadership and initiative.
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills, and ability to develop successful working relationships with colleagues; a team player with a ‘can-do attitude’ and flexible approach who works closely with colleagues to complete tasks and activities.
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize; excellent time management skills.
- Strong organizational and problem-solving skills with the ability to plan ahead.
- Understanding and awareness of contemporary art, and a strong ability to discuss artwork with an informed client base.
- Experience at selling works of art at art galleries and art fairs to collectors and museum curators.
- Existing relationships within regional, national, and international collectors and art museums curators and directors.
- Knowledge and understanding of the highest professional and ethical standard in selling works of art.
- Comprehensive understanding of the art market and of the visual arts.
- Prior business development and management experience preferred.
- An entrepreneurial spirit coupled with a high level of self-motivation.
- Demonstrated track record of meeting & exceeding monthly goals.
- Ability to master multiple technical devices and systems.
- Ability to handle property in a skillful and careful way with a good working knowledge of operating procedures.
- Security conscious with exceptional attention to detail.
- Calm and patient under pressure with the ability to deal with ambiguity and manage expectations.
- Able to work extended hours when required.
How to Apply
Apply online at: https://www.pafa.org/careers/employmentJob Categories: Museum and Gallery. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: arts, education, fine arts, manager, and sales. States: Pennsylvania.
Please Share the Art Sales Manager job: