Temporary Art Installer/Handler
Montalvo Arts Center is seeking and experienced Art Handler to assist with the installation of 10 works of light, projection, sound and digital media, by internationally renowned Light Artist, Bruce Munro. The installation will be composed of site specific light based installations throughout Montalvo’s Historic Grounds and Villa.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Support the preparation of staging areas prior to the artist teams’ arrival.
- Participate in the planning, implementation, and installation of all 10 works, and any related exhibition signage and additional elements.
- Some supervision responsibilities with installations.
Installation support and coordination:
- Implement and facilitate the preparation, installation and de-installation of on-site, outdoor installations, including some team coordination and planning, lighting, art handling, transportation, art packing and crating, possible fabrication, exhibition construction, and technical and equipment operation.
- Purchase supplies, equipment, and archival materials for installations, and de-installations.
- Pick-up supplies and materials from local vendors with personal vehicle.
- Maintain and meet installation and de-installation schedules for the exhibition.
- Provide regular and timely communication to the Director of Lucas Artists Programs.
The ideal candidate will have the following qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in art-related field required.
- At least 3-5 years of Art handling/Installation experience.
- Experience working in light based/electronic mediums, sound, projections or digital media.
- Fine arts handling experience and sensitivity to object care.
- Knowledge of art handling, packing, and shipping methods required.
- Knowledge of basic carpentry tools and machinery, and basic understanding of materials used in the construction of museum exhibits.
- Experience leading collaborative exhibition or museum exhibits planning processes.
- Must be creative, team-oriented, collaborative-minded, self-motivated, conscientious, a flexible problem-solver, and must take pride in own work and be willing to share knowledge.
- Requires strong communication skills.
- Some supervisory skills may be required – must exercise patience with team, and in training volunteers and interns.
- Physically able to lift/and or carry up to 50 pounds.
- Valid CA driver’s license and clean driving record required. Must have reliable transportation.
Working Conditions & Physical Tasks:
Job functions performed both indoors and outdoors. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to sit; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, and depth perception. Employee will operate/drive a golf cart on hilly terrain. A background check is required.
The dates of employment are Sept 10 – Oct 31, 2018 and then Mar 18 – Apr 30, 2019. Working hours will be 8:00am – 4:30pm, Monday through Friday, with flexibility in the schedule as necessary.
Salary: $25 per hour
To apply, submit a cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls about the position, please.
For more detailed information about Montalvo Arts Center visit our website at www.montalvoarts.org/.
Montalvo Arts Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Applicants who contribute to the diversity of our organization are encouraged to apply.
Please Share the Art Installer/Handler job: