Part-Time Art Gallery Teacher
Part-time job: San Jose Museum of Art, San Jose, California
Gallery Teachers are responsible for facilitating inquiry-based gallery visits and leading hands-on art activities to K-12 students.
Duties and Responsibilities include but are not limited to
- Conduct inquiry-based gallery visits and activities for students in grades K-12 that offer students the opportunity to develop visual arts literacy through viewing and talking about works of art.
- Lead hands-on art lessons and activities as part of on-site programs such as 2-Part Art, and Community Day.
- Participate in all exhibition training sessions, staff meetings, continuing education sessions, as well as other training sessions.
- Conduct independent research on artists and artworks in Museum exhibitions and the Museum’s Permanent Collection.
- Design and implement grade-appropriate tours.
- Perform other tasks that pertain to the responsibilities of the Museum Experience and Education Department, as assigned by the Manager of K-12 Curriculum and Instruction and/or the Director of Education.
- Coursework or degree in Fine Art, Studio Arts or Art History or related field, preferred.
- Studio Art or Museum Education related experience, preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Experience working with groups of children and teachers, in formal and/or informal educational settings.
- Experience making art and/or leading hands-on art lessons.
- Basic understanding of educational theories or techniques, Visual Thinking Strategies (VTS), age/grade characteristics, and/or child developmental stages, desirable.
- Excellent communication and writing skills.
- Interest in modern and contemporary art.
- Ability to work independently, with little supervision, and uphold Museum’s policies.
- Bilingual in Spanish or Vietnamese, a plus.
- Creativity and flexibility.
- Fingerprint clearance and background check, required.
- Ability to work some evenings and weekends, as required.
Schedule varies according to school tour requests.
Monday-Friday, mornings and afternoons, 6-10 hours/week.
Founded in 1969 by artists, SJMA presents modern and contemporary art exhibitions and programs; international in scope, it celebrates the cutting-edge vision of California and Pacific Rim artists. Given its location in the heart of Silicon Valley, the Museum has a substantial commitment to showing and nurturing visionary work in new media: initiatives include an experimental gallery-as-laboratory for artists called Beta Space, and the “New Stories from the Edge of Asia” exhibition series. SJMA is accredited by the American Alliance of Museums and is located near the Plaza de César Chavez in downtown San José. The Museum serves 100,000 people a year, including 45,000 school children, and is the largest provider of arts education in Santa Clara County.
Applicant must receive a favorable background check.
We are an equal opportunity employer. At SJMA, we value the diversity of individuals and the ideas, perspectives, insights, and values they bring to the workplace.
Apply online: sjmusart.org/about >> Employment
Job Categories: Museum and Gallery. Job Types: Part-Time. Job Tags: artist, arts education, gallery, and teaching. States: California.
Please Share the Art Gallery Teacher job: