Full-Time Acting Faculty
The Alexander W. Dreyfoos School of the Arts in West Palm Beach, Florida is seeking a full-time acting teacher to begin August 2019.
The award winning DSOA Theatre Department takes pride in educating the next generation of theatre artists. Our mission is to provide students with the comprehensive theatre arts studies and practical experiences necessary to enter prestigious college, university and conservatory programs as well as the professional industry. Based upon a track system, students audition for admittance into the department in Acting, Musical Theatre, or Technical Theatre. DSOA Theatre annually produces both a straight play and a musical in our mainstage theatre, a straight play and a musical in our black box theatre, as well as several student showcases. Our rich history over the last 25 years includes alumni that have been seen on Broadway, Film/TV, national tours, cruise ships, and regional theatres across the country. Graduates of DSOA Theatre are consistently accepted into the top theatre programs at the conservatory and university level.
The available acting faculty position will be responsible for leading and creating a progression of pre-professional acting training from the freshman to senior year. Demonstrated experience in teaching several of the following are necessary: theatre history, various methods of acting technique, Shakespeare, scene study, ensemble building, devised theatre, improvisation, and/or directing. Significant professional experience performing and/or directing are preferred. This is a full-time position employed by the Palm Beach County School District. This employee must be eligible for or willing to promptly pursue certification as a secondary teacher as specified by the Florida Department of Education.
- Teach five classes in acting technique and theatre electives
- Direct department productions and showcases
- Coach competition and college audition pieces
- Adjudicate jury exams and freshman admission auditions
- Work collaboratively with faculty in production and curriculum development
- Assist in growing and building our guest artist series of master classes
- Communicate goals and needs to students and families of the department
- Mentor, encourage, and nurture young talent at varying stages of growth
- BA/BFA in Acting, Directing or Theatre Studies
- Strong evidence of teaching young artists (high school or college teaching experience preferred)
- Significant professional training and experience in acting and performance
- Substantial experience as a director of musical/non-musical theatre at the professional and educational level
- Ability and desire to work with teenagers in a fast-paced and rigorous theatre program
- Bonus specialties in voice and speech (Linklater, Fitzmaurice, etc.) and/or non-dance movement training (Alexander, Lecoq, Viewpoints, etc.) a plus
- Member of AEA or SSDC a plus
Please email the following by April 22, 2019 to email@example.com:
- Letter of intent outlining skills and appropriateness for the position
- Current CV including teaching and professional acting and directing experience
- Contact information for three references who can speak to your professional expertise and ability to teach theatre students
Please Share the Acting Faculty job: