Full-Time Act Two at Levine, Managing Artistic Director
Levine Music is seeking an experienced and enthusiastic Managing Artistic Director to oversee the operations of Act Two at Levine, Levine Music’s multi-generational music theater education program. Act Two at Levine has become a premiere musical theatre training program in the Washington, DC metro area. This position represents an exciting opportunity for a candidate interested in realizing Levine’s vision to increase its music theater program in the tri-State region, adding productions, and recruiting and retaining a corps of directors (including the candidate) who can be called on to direct one or more productions each season. Currently, Act Two currently provides training to more than 100 students per season through three distinct programs:
• theBridge: A collaborative semester-long training program for students of all ages. This multi-generational program gives students an opportunity to present one full-scale production guided by Levine’s Act Two faculty with support provided by area professional guest artists. The program currently rehearses at Levine’s Silver Spring (MD) campus, and performances take place in the Kogod Cradle at Arena Stage.
• First Act: A year-long training program for middle school aged students, performing 2 black-box productions per year. The program currently rehearses at Levine’s Strathmore (MD) campus and performances take place in the black-box theater at Strathmore.
• Pre-Professional: A unique year-long comprehensive training program for high school music theater students that trains students through three productions per year. Students actively participate in the creative process both on-stage and off. Rehearsals currently take place at Levine’s Strathmore (MD) campus, and Arena Stage Kogod Cradle; Woolly Mammoth Theater, Round House Theater, and the Theater at THEARC have also been featured host presenters.
• Secure and supervise all directors, music directors, vocal coaches, production and technical staff, along with artistic teaching partnerships required for each program. Develop a corps of directors for the program. The candidate may direct one or more performances consistent with other responsibilities
• Secure Master Class and guest artist clinicians for the program.
• Supervise the production manager and hire and supervise all technical contractors;
• Secure performance venues for each production
• Arrange audition schedules and artistic judges
• Develop and implement a collaborative strategic vision for the program across the region, taking advantage of Levine’s faculty and campus staff if appropriate; develop partnerships with local theaters and music theater companies to further support and implement the curriculum.
• With support from Levine’s CFO, develop and manage departmental budget.
• With support from Levine, manage the rights applications for each production.
• Develop a comprehensive rehearsal schedule in collaboration with directors, campus and technical staff to ensure that space and equipment are available, as required
• With support from Levine’s Marketing department, oversee marketing efforts for the program;
• Oversee information for Levine’s website, registration system, catalogs and publications as required.
• Oversee communications with parents and students
• Serve on Levine-wide action teams, task forces, and attend administrative meetings as required, including Levine’s Faculty Council.
• Supervise the pre-professional apprentice training program.
• Supervise vendors to support set building, costuming, properties and other material goods for productions
• Supervise the technical team on sound and lighting needs for each program.
• Supervise load in, tech, and strike (various duties)
• Support Production Manager and campus staff on front of house needs.
• Bachelor’s degree (preferably in music or theater education) or equivalent experience preferred;
• Administrative experience managing theater programs with a broad range of abilities and backgrounds;
• Ability to work collegially, but independently;
• Strong ability to adapt plans under pressure to meet goals;
• Strong creative sense;
• Ability to multi-task and think strategically;
• Excellent communication, conflict resolution, and problem-solving skills;
• Experience with Windows-based computer systems, Microsoft Office Suite products, Virtual Stage Management, Google Docs & online database management systems preferred.
How to Apply
Applicants for this position should submit a cover letter of application, curriculum vitae, names and contact information for three references. Electronic applications are encouraged as well as hard copies accepted.
(Please note application materials will not be returned).
Please Share the Act Two at Levine, Managing Artistic Director job: