Culture and arts leader
- Tel: ➤ Login/Register to view the contact details.
With a life-long, passionate, devotion to the advancement of art and culture in society, my professional career has been committed to senior leadership roles within the creative industries, at the BBC, Tate, DACS and Kings Place.
It has been characterised by innovating commercial revenues from cultural assets and resources in order to fund and promote world-class artistic expression.
I thrive on organisational transformation and have made profound, successful, improvement in all of my roles. Building close, highly-effective partnerships with my team, stakeholders and collaborators has been at the heart of my professional practice.
1987–1990 Wimbledon School of Art, BA (hons) Fine Art Painting (2:1)
1985–1987 South Notts College of Further Education, Nottingham
B’Tec National Diploma, General Art and Design (distinction)
1979–1985 Nottingham Bluecoat School, Nottingham: 7 ‘O’levels, grade C and above
Kings Place Music Foundation
March 2017 to May 2020
Kings Place is a multi-award-winning performance and conference venue, with a critically acclaimed artistic programme, in Kings Cross London. The venue has two main auditoria, a studio space, a visual art gallery, concert bar, café and restaurant. King Place is home to three prestigious orchestras and ten national arts companies. My role is to lead a team of 35 full-time and 120 variable hour staff, producing 300 corporate events a year and over 650 performances, across one-off concerts, festivals and thematic strands. I am personally responsible for a turnover of £4.6m.
- Led the company through its most successful period, reaching record numbers of audiences, media coverage, critical acclaim and industry awards
- Established a strong, sustainable, business model. Eliminated an inherited deficit of -£750k to a break-even budget within three years, through a combination of increasing tickets sales, external fundraising strategy and commercial, conference, income
- Equipped the company, for the first time, with a clear, agreed definition of its purpose, articulated with a vision, mission, set of company values and boilerplate
- Commissioned and implemented a, holistic, brand and visual identity project, applied across all physical and digital design elements, giving the company a compelling visual representation of its identity
- Carried out a comprehensive digital transformation project to improve audience experience and business processes. This encompassed launching a new streaming platform, KPlayer, re-platforming and mobile optimising the website, e-ticketing, contactless donations, interval drinks app, automated emails, migrated all core IT systems to the Cloud
- Used data driven analysis to create an Audience Development Strategy. This has increased average occupancy from 55% to 68%, tickets sales by 20% and social media followers by over 35%, through a company-wide, tactical, approach
DACS (Design and Artists Copyright Society)
Chief Operating Officer
June 2014 to March 2017
The UK’s leading visual rights management organisation. I was responsible for the distribution of over £25m a year to artists and visual creators through the management of their IP and royalties. I managed all business and digital development activities and all operational departments including Governance (managing a Board of 15 and 5 sub-committees), Finance, Legal, Facilities, HR and IT.
- Led the development of digital, new business, initiatives including a self-service, commercial, online picture library called Art Image and Art 360, an online resource to make archiving and cultural preservation skills available to all
- Reduced operational overheads by over £450k (33%) through a systematic review of all costs, business processes and modernising the IT infrastructure
- Developed a capital fund raising strategy to grow external investment, grants and sponsorship to £500k per year. This included a successful Arts Council grant of £250k to support Art 360.
- Set up a charitable arm, DACS Foundation, to support young and emerging visual artists
- Managed a £5m capital project to relocate the company to new purpose-built offices in East London. Co-ordinated all contractors and suppliers in delivering the move, on time and on budget
Tate Enterprises Limited
Sep 2006 to May 2014
The commercial arm of Tate Gallery and one of the most profitable cultural trading companies in the world, with a turnover in excess of £25m, serving millions of customers online and across its national estate. I oversaw digital, online and IT development, logistics, distribution and customer service.
- Increased revenue from e-commerce to over £1.5m in three years. Solely responsible, from concept to implementation, of outsourced, world-class, e-commerce platform to sell Tate merchandise, membership and books. This is now used as the primary platform Tate uses to sell exhibition tickets and membership
- Launched a number of innovative digital projects including Tate’s e-commerce Picture Library, its first commercial app, QR code selling and custom-made ‘art on demand’ prints
- Led a number of critical capital projects, worth £2.5m, to modernise Tate Enterprises’ logistics and distribution, IT virtualisation and infrastructure
- Led Tate’s ‘going green’ initiative, gaining ISO14001 accreditation for sustainable management
BBC and BBC Worldwide Operations Manager, Business Manager and Head of BBC Retail Jan 1998 to Sep 2006 The commercial arm of the BBC, financing and commercially exploiting BBC IP across numerous markets and platforms. I was responsible for developing the Direct to Consumer market through physical and online retail activity.
- Created and built a new BBC Retail business unit
- Implemented an expansion and growth strategy through new stores and B2C e-commerce
- Developed new products and services in partnership with BBC brands and programmes
HMV UK Ltd.
Jul 1990 to Dec 1997
Promoted numerous times, from roles in store management to the Marketing dept. at Head Office
- Commercial acumen
- leading large teams
- business transformation
- setting strategy
- budget and financial planning
- managing complex stakeholder and client relationships
- digital and technology innovation fundraising and development
- Board and committee management
- Capital projects