Theatre Artist & Writer
- Tel: ➤ Login/Register to view the contact details.
Big picture thinker. Producer, designer, playwright and arts leader. Over ten years of experience planning, designing, developing and implementing large scale productions, including creating and managing budgets, writing and negotiating contracts, hiring and supervising personnel, facilitating effective communication, evaluating and selecting programming, managing facilities, recruiting creative collaborators, writing effective grants, and creating set and prop designs.
Mike Lawler – Madison, Wisconsin
Western Oregon University, B.S. – Theatre Arts 2003
– Strong liberal arts education, with broad learning experiences. Minor in Anthropology
– Currently earning a certificate in Facility Management
Associate Artistic Director/Production Manager, Children’s Theater of Madison October 2007 – Present
– Over the course of ten seasons, duties have included contracting of seasonal and permanent staff, creating and managing budgets (annual budget under direct supervision is approximately $500,000), coordinating and creating schedules, overseeing safety of productions, working closely with venue staff (including technical, security, IATSE, and administrative), providing expertise and advice to members of production teams as needed, scheduling venues, tracking and managing operational areas of company (including insurance, facilities, utilities, IT concerns, rental operations, and group health plan). Duties broadened when named Associate Artistic Director in 2016.
Co-Artistic Director, Theatre LILA March 2014 – December 2015
– Producer on No Child…, A Midsummer Night’s Dream and two original works: The Suitcase Dreams, and TRASH. Specific duties included hiring and contracting all personnel, creating and managing budgets and scheduling, assisting in the selection of artistic and outreach programming, casting, fundraising, grant writing, and general creative guidance of the young organization. Also was the company’s resident scene designer.
Co-Founder, Wisconsin Story Project 2008-2011
– Co-founder and co-producing artistic director of company founded to “creatively share the stories of Wisconsin.” With WSP, co-wrote Cancer Stories in 2009, and authored Uncivil Disobedience in 2011. Both pieces are grounded in oral history coupled with historic research, and are written using verbatim or theatre of testimony techniques. WSP also hosted monthly “Storyshares” and encouraged communities to record and share stories in new and accessible ways.
Freelance Scene Designer 2010 – Present
– Recent projects have included designs for Theatre LILA, Forward Theater Company, Children’s Theater of Madison, and others.
Freelance Writer January 2005 – Present
– Projects have included one book, Careers in Technical Theater, as well as dozens of articles on the theater for publications such as American Theatre, Dramatics, Stage Directions, DramaBiz, and others. Works for the stage include Cancer Stories, Uncivil Disobedience, and short pieces included in The Suitcase Dreams, TRASH, and Out of the Fire: The Banned Books Monologues.
- Scenery and properties design
- Budget creation and tracking
- Contract negotiation and management
- Proficient in multiple software platforms, including: AutoCAD, SketchUp Pro, Qlab, Microsoft Office, Tessitura, Scrivener
- Grant Writing and fundraising
- New work development
- Event Producing, Grantwriting, Playwriting, project management, set design