Experienced Arts Administrator
- Tel: ➤ Login/Register to view the contact details.
20+ years experience producing/presenting the arts. Created highly-successful fund raising and marketing campaigns. Skilled at collaborating with diverse community stakeholders.
Doctoral studies (“ABD”), City University of New York Graduate Center
Master of Music, State University of New York at Stony Brook
Bachelor of Music, New England Conservatory of Music
Continuing Education: “Developing a Comprehensive Annual Giving Program;” Rice University; “Major Gifts and Planned Giving: The Fundamentals,” Rice University; “Technology Strategies for Nonprofit Leaders,” NPower/Seattle
Areas of Expertise include:
→ Arts Programming → Marketing, Communications, PR
→ Fundraising & Sponsorships → Building New Revenue Streams
→ Community Partnerships → Fiscal Oversight & Administration
→ Arts Education → Team Leadership
Arts Management Consultant (2016 – present)
Projects include: fundraising campaigns; grant writing; donor research; marketing campaigns; design of collateral materials; public relations; programming; education projects; strategic planning; board development; interim management.
Albany Symphony Orchestra, Albany NY. (2014 – 2015)
Provided overall leadership for the orchestra including administrative, operating, strategic and financial aspects. Managed $2.2 million budget. Supervised staff of 9.
• Performed 30 concerts annually in 6 venues.
• Created new marketing and communications strategies.
• Increased number of subscribers by 23%.
Opera in the Heights, Houston TX. 2011 ̶ 2013.
Directed all audience development, fundraising, education and community engagement initiatives for Houston’s second largest opera company. Produced 4 productions/28 performances annually. Managed $950,000 budget. Supervised staff of 4.
• Created two highly-successful year-end fundraising appeals.
• Implemented new, expanded subscription marketing campaign. Increased
number of subscribers by 11%.
• Streamlined and improved budgeting and financial reporting practices.
• Balanced budget two consecutive fiscal years.
Director of Development
Evergreen City Ballet, Renton WA. 2008 – 2011.
As company’s first-ever development professional, developed and implemented all fundraising and marketing activities for dance company and school. Built relationships with business leaders, elected officials, community stakeholders.
• Researched and prepared foundation, corporate and government grant proposals.
• Secured 15 new grants and first-ever multi-year corporate sponsorship.
• Successfully launched first-ever capital campaign for new facility.
• Raised $215,000+ in new money.
Bellevue Philharmonic Orchestra, Bellevue WA. 2003 – 2008.
Responsible for overall leadership including administrative, operating, strategic and financial aspects. Produced classical, education, runout and special concerts. Principal liaison with music industry, community groups. Managed $800,000 budget. Supervised staff of 7.
• Expanded concert season and education programs.
• Created new fundraising campaigns.
• Increased corporate giving 68%. Increased foundation giving 85%. Increased
individual giving 30%. Increased government giving 149%.
• Raised $839,000, of which $420,000 was new money.
• Secured largest-ever foundation grant and largest-ever corporate sponsorship.
(Both were first-ever multi-year grants for the Philharmonic.)
• Devised new advertising and publicity campaigns.
• Increased number of subscribers by 121%. Improved subscription renewal rate 46%.
• Created and monitored annual budgets. Balanced budget 4 consecutive fiscal years.
• Reduced administrative costs 15%.
General Manager & Artistic Administrator
San Antonio Symphony Orchestra, San Antonio TX. 2000 – 2002.
Programmed and produced 100+ classical, pops, education, runout and special concerts annually in multiple venues. Selected repertoire, guest artists, guest conductors. Supervised education program. Volunteered to assist board and staff in fundraising.
• Managed artistic/operations budget of $5.7 million. Supervised staff of 10.
• Raised new money from city government for endowment.
• Secured new national corporate donor for education program.
• Wrote first-ever successful NEA grant for education program.
• Supervised international music director and assistant conductor searches.
Orchestra Manager & Artistic Administrator
Little Orchestra Society of New York, New York City. 1995 – 1999.
Programmed and produced 75 concerts annually for New York City’s largest per-service orchestra. Managed all production elements at multiple venues. Selected repertoire, guest artists. Oversaw education program.
• Managed artistic/operations budget of $2 million. Supervised staff of 5.
• Negotiated two multi-year union collective bargaining agreements.
• Connected audiences to unique, non-traditional concert formats by writing
program notes and scripts for pre-concert lectures.
ADDITIONAL CAREER HIGHLIGHTS
• Program Coordinator & Adjunct Lecturer, New York University Program in
Fundraising and Nonprofit Management
• Faculty member, New England Conservatory Preparatory School
• Adjunct Lecturer, College of Staten Island (City University of New York)
• Cultural Tourism Consultant, New York City Department of Business Services
• Contributor, New Grove Dictionary of American Music, 1st edition
• Director of Marketing & Public Relations, Lower East Side Tenement Museum,
New York NY