Theater Arts Manager
|Career Status:||Actively looking|
|Willing to relocate:|
|Willingness to travel:||Fairly willing to travel|
- Tel: ➤ Login/Register to view the contact details.
5 years of stage production experience: technical, set construction, stage manager, assistant stage manager, stage director, actor. Shakespeare enthusiast. Almost ten years experience as Director of Operations/Director of IT of a not-for-profit. Almost 7 years Customer Service Manager and supervisor. Acted in National Geographic production. Published poet with seven books. Former Web Developer with 12 years total experience. Freelance writer. Former member of art council. Former Board member of poetry book publisher.
Warren Wilson College
BA Fine Arts/Theatre
Poet/The Life and Death of King Edward – Forever Press, Somerville MA
Under pen name Joshua Gray, published poems in many magazines and journals, including collaborations with figurative and abstract painters, as well as books with poetry book publishers.
- The Life and Death of King Edward (2017, Forever Press) is about the man who wrote the works of Shakespeare. Also Included in the book are Shakespeare’s sonnets, which I reduced to quatrains, originally published on Twitter using the #Bard154 hashtag.
- 3 Marys (forthcoming, Unbound Content).
- Symposium (2016, Red Dashboard Press)
- Steel Cut Oats (2015, Red Dashboard Press)
- Mera Bharat (2014, Red Dashboard Press)
- Principles of Belonging (2013, Red Dashboard Press)
- Beowulf with Young Children in Mind (2012, Zouch Six Shilling Press)
Principal – Joshua Prentice Consultancy, Washington DC
2000-2003, 2012 – 2015
- Designed and developed an MS-SQL Database for Financial Standings Planning Board, Ltd., including the user interface (web applications) designed for report generation and database maintenance.
- Designed a module that allowed various survey responses to the same question to be compared and read from multiple responses on the same page.
- SQL Database restructuring using a front-end content management system that allowed for a national licensing organization (CIDQ) to improve its certification exam.
- Designed and developed a browser-based multimedia CD-ROM on community mobilization for Save The Children. Video media, Flash welcome screen and client-side search engine included.
- Designed and developed website for local yoga center that included Flash welcome screen.
- Re-designed the front-end to an existing web site. Created and developed a database-driven search engine and a discussion board.
- Designed and built Website for client in women’s makeup industry. The site includes a shopping cart and ecommerce section for online purchasing.
- Web site, banner and logo design for various clients, including local nonprofit NGO in southern India, real estate Website in Thailand, and an alternative health therapy Web site.
Director of Operations/IT – National Council for Interior Design Qualification, Washington DC
August 2003 – May 2012
- Mediated poor employee relations resulting in improved customer morale.
- Created a document of ideas for ways to decrease expenses and increase income while providing better customer service.
- Managed operations and developed procedures for small apprenticeship program to expand number of participants.
- Documented procedures for operations related to the registration and Certificate renewals processes.
- Served as buyer for all IT-related needs: telephone systems, copiers, meter machines, printers, servers, computers, and other hardware/software.
- Assisted Executive Director with budgeting and strategic planning
- Worked with office manager/bookkeeper on daily expenditures, if any, in Operations department as well as any HR needs
- Managed hard filing system restructure from last name to ID number of approximately 12000 files
- Vetted, hired, and managed two venders
- Managed whole office facility operations. Contacted building manager with office concerns including but not limited to lighting, plumbing, temperature control.
- Installed, managed, and operated security system for office.
- Developed a grading program for Section 3 of the NCIDQ Examination.
- Designed and developed organization’s internal Web site, including discussion boards and timesheet program.
- Designed more user-friendly applications to improve efficiency and productivity.
- Moved and restructured main database from FoxPro to SQL.
- Created online application so members can update personal contact information themselves.
- Developed interim process for apprenticeship program from paper entry to online entry.
- Moved paper processes online, including but not limited to exam application and registration
- Assisted event planners/coordinators with any operational needs
Board Member – The Word Works Publishing, Washington DC
2012 – 2014
The Word Works is a publisher of poetry, and I was elected to the Board in part because of my background in Information Technology, Part of my job was to investigate ebooks as a potential revenue stream, as well as rebuilding the organization’s Web site.
Council Member – Takoma Park Arts Council, Takoma Park MD
January 2012 – May 2012
I was elected to the arts council because I was runner-up to the newly appointed Poet Laureate of Takoma Park, and because I had an interest in promoting poetry as an art form, which was a missing component of the art council. Unfortunately I was not a council member for long, because we ended up moving out of the country for work.
DC Poetry Examiner – Examiner.com, Washington DC
Wrote articles on local DC area poetry scene, reviewed poetry books, interviewed local poets in 200-300 words or more.
- Book reviews include Deborah Ager’s Midnight Voices and Kim Robert’s Animal Magnetism.
- 2011 AWP Bookfair and Conference attendee and promoter
- Wrote article on campaign sponsored by Split This Rock Poetry Festival to get local newspapers to review more books of poetry.
Theater Crew – Warren Wilson College, Asheville NC
Theater crew member: built and painted sets, ran lighting and sound boards, catwalk work, props, almost everything related to production.
Twelfth Night – Warren Wilson College, Asheville NC
Stage manager for this production of the Shakespearean comedy that rivals as my favorite. Was selected as stage manager because of my organizational abilities.
Assistant Production Manager – Source Theater, Washington DC
Assisted with administrative duties with regard to the production. Assisted with production, such as hung lights, light and sound board settings, ran light and sound boards, and more. Assisted with production nights wherever necessary, including house and box office management, concessions.
Lithuania – Warren Wilson College, Asheville NC
Directed one-act play by Rupert Brooke.
Ten minute plays and Lysistrata – Source Theater, Washington DC
Directed multiple ten-minute plays, including The Red Button, The Meeting, and One More Zero. Directed a staged reading. Assistant Stage managed Lysistrata by Aristophanes.
Energy – National Geographic Society
A film about energy. I was one of two actors.
- pretty much all things IT
- freelance writing
- web development
- customer service management, Relationship building, supervisor experience, Team management
Groups & Associations
- Berea Arts Council, Kentucky State Poetry Society
- Conversational Italian, English