Iulia Gherghescu- scenic design
|Career Status:||Actively looking|
|Willing to relocate:|
|Willingness to travel:||Willing to travel|
. This spring I will complete my first year as MFA in in Design and Technical Production at the School of Liberal Arts at Tulane University, and I am eager to take my first steps to a career as a professional designer in USA. Through my years in the art school, in Romania and USA I was fortunate to receive a well-rounded exposure to many different ways of aproaching design for set and costumes for theatre and film as well. In addition, I’ve worked for the past four years with a few of the most important theatres in Romania, which gave me an excellent background in working with theatre professionals and important directors. Although I began as assistant designer, within a few months I was given responsibility for all design-related duties : designing props, drafting sets, designig posters, designing costumes and sets. At Tulane University, I had the opportunity to take several classes which helped me to get familiar with the american modern theatre design and working in the scene shop for different productions i had the chance to better understand the way of working in a theatre scene shop.
With my background in design , I am confident that I would make a very successful and creative designer. Having worked for the several theatre and film companies, I have been exposed to a number of aspects of this world. My experience as a designer demonstrates my capability of working with others through the creative process of production while meeting the challenges presented to me.
New Orleans, USA, 2011-2014
MFA in Design and Technical Production (scenic design)
The Caragiale University of Theatrical Arts and Cinematography Bucharest, Romania, 2010
MFA in Scenography
The Caragiale University of Theatrical Arts and Cinematography Bucharest, Romania 2007
B.F.A. in Scenography
– as a designer: I handled set and costume designing for theatre and film projects, interior design, set designs for TV shows and commercials, design for different indoor/outdoor events, costume designing for contemporary dance shows. I was responsible for researching and the execution of detailed drawings of the set or costumes, drafting, scene painting and creating props. I was responsible for overseeing the construction of the set and costumes, fitting, acquisition and rental of all wardrobe items.
– as a graphic designer : I was responsible for designing and producing artwork for posters and flyers, illustrations, layout design for web pages and carried out designing projects for promotional materials as freelancer and on contract basis
Scene shop assistant
Tulane University – Department of theatre and dance, New Orleans , USA
aug. 2011- may 2014
– helping at the construction and painting of the sets for Tulane theatre and dance productions
– responsible for preparing the prop breakdown and budget, for selecting, positioning and maintaining all props.
Set and costume designer
Radu Stanca National Theatre, Sibiu, Romania
dec. 2010- feb. 2011
– set and costume designing for 2 theatre productions „Gingerbread lady ” and „The Star-Spangled Girl” by Neil Simon
Set and Costume design
The Caragiale University of Theatrical Arts and Cinematography, Bucharest
sept. 2010- jan. 2011
– set and costume designing for the production of „A street car named desire ” by Tennessee Williams.
Comedy Theatre, Bucharest
may 2010- oct. 2010
– Assistant designer for ”Who’s affraid of Virgina wolf” by E.Albee
„Ion Dacian” National Theatre Opera, Bucharest
– costume designing for „Story from Soho” a musical based on Bertlot Brecht’s „Three penny opera”.
Metropolis Theatre, Bucharest Romania
march 2009 – june 2009
– set and props designing, scene painting for theatre production „Tarelkin” a russian comedy by A.V. Suhovo-Kobilini
Realitatea Media, Bucharest, Romania
sept. 2008-sept. 2010
– set designing for TV shows.
– I worked closely with producers and directors to determine how they see the show and then by choice of colors, textures, and materials determine the overall “look” and the emotional tone of the show. I was responsible for supervising the search of locations, designing the sets, oversee the building and dressing of all sets.
Bucharest National Theatre ”I.L.Caragiale”
jan. 2008- april 2008
– assistant designer for set and costume for the production of ”Great Ecatherine” by G.B.Shaw
aug. – sept. 2007
– assistant designer and Costume designer for ”Vienna Music Film Festival 2007” an out door cultural event .
Set and costume designer
Comedy theatre, Bucharest
– set and costume designing for the production of ”Zoo Story ” by E. Albee
– Works selected for the Romanian National Exhibition in the Countries and Regions Section at ”The Prague Quadrennial” 2011 edition
– scenography exhibition at the Scenofest , a section of Prague Scenography Quadrenniale 2007
– Scenography exhibiton at “Sibiu International Theater Festival “ the 13th edition, Romania 2006
- – Adobe Dreamweaver,Adobe Photoshop, Image Ready , Illustrator, Microsoft Visio, Vector Works,
- CSS , HTML, Microsoft word, Microsoft Excel
- Basic French, English, romanian