Arts management and marketing
- Tel: ➤ Login/Register to view the contact details.
I have extensive and diverse experience and success in all aspects of arts management, marketing, programming, facility management and fund development.
M.F.A in Arts Administration from the Institute of Arts Administration at the University of Utah
B.A. in Liberal Arts from Raymond College at the University of the Pacific in Stockton, California
Numerous workshops, seminars and education in all aspects of arts administration.
• Professional expertise in management, marketing, public relations, communications programming, funding and expanding non-profit arts organizations, creative arts centers, government, educational, non-profit institutions.
• Extensive success creating and expanding integrated marketing, communications, public relations, advertising, branding, target marketing, and media relations strategies and campaigns for multiple arts organizations.
• Successful building of internal and external relationships and partnerships
• Skilled presenter to internal and external audiences
• Extensive experience planning, marketing and managing multiple successful small to large community and fund raising events drawing up to 40,000 people
• Development and implementation of visionary strategic plans
• Creation and maintenance of balanced budgets and prudent financial management
• Excellent oral, writing, editing and proofreading skills
• Successful leadership, management and collaboration with staff, volunteers and Boards
• Proven results soliciting and receiving individual and business contributions, business and foundation grants, organizational and government grants and support
• Recognized for broad and multi-functional knowledge and abilities
• 31 years university teaching including marketing, PR, communications and management
Insights to Success, Sacramento, California (2006- )
EXECUTIVE CONSULTANT. Consultant in marketing, organizational communications, public relations, organizational management, strategic planning, organizational and board development and grants for non-profit organizations. Conduct workshops on marketing, public speaking, Board development and training, exceptional customer service, developing partnerships, non-profit management.
City of Davis, Davis, California (2008-2011)
CIVIC ARTS COORDINATOR. (Part-time position) Liaison with Civic Arts Commission. Planning and management of Art Contract Competition grant program. Planning, marketing and coordination of annual City of Davis Juried Art Show. Oversight of Public Art maintenance, promotion, and new projects.
• Updated information, revised format, printed and distributed new Gallery and Public Art Guide.
• Increased number of applicants to arts grant program by 57% for 2011 cycle.
• Creation of regionally networked on-line arts event calendar
• Scheduled and facilitated collaborative resource meetings with area arts organization representatives
Yuba Sutter Regional Arts Council, Marysville, California (2007-2010)
EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR. (3/4 time position) Professional management and growth of the only bi-county arts council in California. Program development and management including visual arts gallery, arts facility rentals and programming, literary programming, performing arts presentations, advocacy for all arts organizations in the county. Expanded marketing, public relations, image and identity in the community and region. Successful grant writing, fund raising and contribution solicitations. Development of Board of Directors. Staff and volunteer management.
• Secured the first two National Endowment of the Arts grants in organization’s 28-year history and a two-year marketing development foundation grant.
• Secured multiple contributions and grants from local and regional individuals, businesses, and government agencies and funding organizations.
• Significantly increased community visibility and media coverage of the organization.
• Increased participation in multiple organizations (including Marysville Rotary Board, Chamber of Commerce, California Arts Council, State-Local Partner Program, United Way, VSA Arts California Board, Sutter Performing Arts Association Board, county libraries, schools).
• Added over 50 partnerships with local organizations and businesses.
City of Fairfield; Fairfield, California (2001- 2006)
ARTS AND COMMUNITY EVENTS DIVISION MANAGER, COMMUNITY SERVICES DEPARTMENT. Management of Division’s 8 programs, budgets of $1.8 million, arts and cultural facilities, and staff of 25. Management, programming and marketing of Fairfield Center for Creative Arts, annual 10 to 12 event Performing Arts Series, Student Audiences Series, Cultural Arts Awards Grants Program, visual arts programs, public art program, and community special events. Liaison with Community Services Commission and City Council. Budget and funding requests to City Council. Planning and execution of fund raising events for public art commissions and other projects.
• Expanded number of Performing Arts Series shows by up to 20% and performances up to 90%.
• Achieved 85%+ capacity for Performing Arts Series annually and exceeded income budget for four years.
• Increased uses and rentals of multi-use facility.
• Created, marketed, and managed Veteran’s Day Parade from 62 entries to 103 entries in 4 years.
• Received City Manager’s Commendation in 2002 for leadership of staff.
• Managed multiple and diverse community events that attracted up to 40,000 people.
• Appointed Chair of City of Fairfield Centennial Celebration Planning Committee.
• Appointed City representative on the Doolittle Raiders Reunion event committee at Travis Air Force Base, a 3-day national event.
Sacramento Ballet; Sacramento, California (1998-2000)
MARKETING DIRECTOR. Created and expanded marketing and public relations for professional dance company. Developed new and increased audiences. Planning and management of multiple community outreach events and special events. Liaison with city-owned performing facility.
• Significantly increased organizational visibility in community.
• Increased single ticket income for “The Nutcracker” 40+% in two years to highest in company history.
• Surpassed income budget for “Romeo & Juliet” by 120% in 2000.
• 1998/99 ticket revenue $45,000 over projections.
• 1999/2000 single ticket sales $144,000 over budget projections.
• Increased program ad revenue by 30%.
• Increased subscription income by 24% from 1998 to 1999.
• Improved image and graphics in printed materials.
Sacramento Theatre Company; Sacramento, California (1997-1998)
MARKETING DIRECTOR. Optimized marketing and public relations campaigns for professional theatre company. Coordination with Development Director on marketing and funding proposals.
• Marketing and visibility of organization increased with 30% decrease in budget over previous year.
• Single show attendance increased over 3% with 30% decrease in budget.
• Two 1997/98 shows in top ten best selling single sales in theatre history.
• Subscription renewal rate increased 20% over previous years for 1998/99 season.
Held positions at Theatre Three Repertory Company, Utah Shakespearean Festival, Tacoma Actors Guild, Napa Valley Stage Company (Founder/Managing Director), Fallon House Theatre, University of the Pacific, California State University Fullerton, Idaho Public Theater, Repertory Dance Theatre, and Oregon Shakespearean Festival in management, marketing, development, and/or patron services.
Taught courses in marketing, public relations, public speaking, organizational communications, and oral communications for undergraduate & graduate degree programs at University of Phoenix over 15 years. Taught Techniques of Marketing and Public Relations, Public Speaking, Arts Administration and/or Customer Service Management at Sierra College, Non-Profit Resource Center, Clovis Adult School, Southern Utah University, CSU Fullerton, University of the Pacific Department of Drama and Dance.
- Marketing, promotion, audience development, media and public relations (35 years)
- Enhancement of organizational image, identity, visibility and reputation (38 years)
- Community outreach program planning and execution (39 years)
- Special event planning/management (37 years)
- Fund raising, grant writing and contribution solicitations (40 years)
- Arts and nonprofit management (30 years)
- Business, financial and budget management (37 years)
- Staff training, development and management (37 years)
- Short and long range planning (36 years)
- Programming and program management (36 years)
- Facility programming and management (20 years)
- Board of directors development (20 years)
- Volunteer management (37 years)
- Fund raising and grant Administration (34 years)
- Teaching arts administration, marketing, PR, management, communications, human resources management (30 years)
- Board development, Community outreach, Fund raising and grants, management, marketing, Public relations, Public Speaking, Strategic planning, Teaching, Team Management