Full-Time Job Visitor Services Manager – Museum
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
This position manages a team of Visitor Service Associates (VSAs) and oversees the visitor experience on initial entry to the Museum. The Visitor Services Manager is often the first direct point of contact for member and non-member visitors, school and tour groups, Trustees and other VIP guests. The Manager is expected to be deeply knowledgeable about the current and upcoming exhibitions and programs and to be well trained in safety and security protocols for The CJM. The position requires a warm and outgoing demeanor, and sound judgment and diplomacy in all interactions with Museum visitors, professional colleagues, and partner organizations.
Essential Job Responsibilities
Build and manage a team
• Hire and manage Visitor Services Associates and Visitor Services Supervisor for all duties at the Shenson Welcome Desk. Assign VSA scheduling for all open hours of The Museum.
• Design and deliver job training to VSAs on ticket and membership sales, and all patron services functions.
• Ensure that VSAs clearly understand and are comfortable and effective in explaining the mission of the Museum to visitors. Coordinate opportunities for VSAs to learn about exhibitions and programs directly from other CJM teams. Prepare briefings for the VSA teams on museum-wide information.
• Provide guidance and performance feedback to VSAs.
• Update training and reference manuals for all visitor services functions.
• Work with Volunteer & Docent Coordinator to ensure coverage of volunteer shifts and occasional training.
Deliver exceptional visitor experience
• Greet visitors, answer questions and solve problems with the goal of exceptional customer service. Continually seek ways to improve service; document visitor feedback and develop recommendations for improvements. Evaluate and prioritize visitor comments and complaints, and ensure that appropriate staff and department directors are informed.
• Relieve VSA positions when needed, and perform all ticketing and other related duties.
• Oversee appearance of the Shenson Welcome Desk, coat check and surrounding areas. Ensuring the cleanliness, safety, and organization of these are maintained and that materials and signage are appropriate and current.
• Develop recommendations for materials (print, media, digital, etc) to enhance The CJM visitor experience.
• Participate in the development and implementation of audience research.
Provide attention to visitor safety and security
• Ensure appropriate traffic flow into the building, and throughout the lobby and galleries.
• Liaise with Security team, Programs or other departments as necessary for support during busy times or special events.
• Ensure that The Museum is clean, safe and well maintained. Work in coordination with Facilities and Security Managers.
• Act as eyes and ears for Museum security.
• Provide leadership in emergency preparedness for The CJM.
• Participate in weekly logistics meetings to stay informed of programs, special events and facility rentals.
Manage systems and provide financial data and analysis
• Oversee ticketing system: work with Patron’s Edge and Raiser’s Edge software to build events and track visitor data; administer on-line ticket sales in coordination with the Public Programs team.
• Supervise cash handling and control, recordkeeping and data entry for admissions and other sales transactions. Maintain financial and data integrity.
• Oversee the opening and closing of sales areas at the Shenson Welcome Desk.
• Prepare regular admissions reports for the Director of Marketing and C communications and for the Museum management team.
• Utilize and input data in organizational data dashboard.
• Develop and manage visitor services expense budgets and provide quarterly/mid-year forecast reporting.
• Prepare voicemail system content, including exhibition and program information.
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent, preferably in management, communications, arts administration, or other related area.
• 3 – 5 years supervisory experience including managing customer service or public contact positions.
• Familiarity with the museum field preferred.
• Knowledge of ticketing and point of sales systems.
Skills and Abilities
• Ability to problem solve and plan strategically.
• Strong conflict resolution skills and ability to work with a diverse public, perform multiple tasks simultaneously, and represent The Museum to visitors in a positive and professional manner.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Self-motivated with the ability to initiate and follow through on projects independently.
• Ability to motivate others and to supervise.
• Ability to be on feet and or sit for at least six hours each day.
• Physically capable of responding to public emergency situations.
• Understand and respond to staff and customer requests in a loud environment.
• Intermittent physical activity including walking, standing, twisting, sitting, bending, stooping, lifting, and climbing stairs, isometric contraction.
• Must be willing to work weekends, holidays, with some evenings required.
HOW TO APPLY
Send cover letter, and resume to
The Contemporary Jewish Museum
Please use “Visitor Services Manager” for email subject line
The Contemporary Jewish Museum is an equal opportunity employer
|• Job Title:||Visitor Services Manager – Museum|
|• Job Type:||Full-Time Job|
|• Employer:||The Contemporary Jewish Museum|
|• Location:||San Francisco, California, United States|