Full-Time Theatre Design & Technical Theatre Faculty Position
Belhaven University, a Christian university committed to the ministry of integrating biblical truth and learning, is searching for the ideal candidate for Theatre Design & Technical Direction who has a heart for Christ Jesus and students, to be a part of a dynamic theatre department, in an environment of collaborative servant artistry concentrating on developing the voice of the next generation of theatre artists at the Jackson, Mississippi traditional campus.
The Theatre Designer/Technical Director shares responsibility for all technical operations in both the Center for the Arts Black Box Theatre (mainstage) and Barber Auditorium (studio).
This individual is also responsible for designing, building and implementing the sets and lights for Theatre program productions along with supervising student workers in the same areas and mentoring student designers in sound and props. In addition, the position includes responsibility for student instruction in technical theatre (typically one class per semester) serving the needs of the Theatre program at Belhaven University.
This position is responsible for:
• Designs sets and lights for Theatre program productions
• Coordinates with colleagues for construction, painting, rigging, lighting, sound, properties, and set pieces
• Supervises students with technical responsibilities, serves as mentor to students
• Develops strategies for meeting theatre productions’ needs within budget
• Teaches classes in technical theatre (typically one class per semester), including but not limited to Stagecraft, Stagecraft II, Scene Painting, Introduction to Theatre Design, and Stage Props
• Coordinates set-up and technical requirements of events and performances held in the Center for the Arts Black Box Theatre
• Communicates effectively with BU students, staff, and public
• Participates in on-going assessment activities for the program and the university
M.F.A. required, in theatre design or technical direction or related field; Ph.D. considered with extensive experience in theatre design or technical direction; previous college teaching experience preferred; record of ongoing professional and/or academic activity in theatre design or technical direction; ability to teach and mentor students; experience with working in unique theatre spaces is desirable.
Applicants must be able to fully support the University vision, mission and statement of faith and contribute to the spiritual and academic fellowship of the University.
Compensation and rank are commensurate with qualifications and experience.
The University supplements major medical insurance.
A 403b retirement plan is available for eligible employees to contribute pre-tax dollars with Belhaven University matching up to 8% of annual salary.
– Letter of intent, including explanation of your interest in Christian higher education, and how your
background fulfills each of the Responsibilities and Qualifications described above
– Three to four paragraph statement of how you would integrate the Biblical worldview into all
– Please prepare a brief account (no more than 750 words) of your spiritual pilgrimage including the time
and circumstances surrounding your becoming a believer in Christ, your current relationship with
Christ and describe your personal faith in a non-creedal form. Please click on this link – http://www.belhaven.edu/belhaven/employment_pdfs/LetterOfEmploymentCommitment.pdf
– to review Belhaven University’s Commitment Statement including our employee expectations.
Should you receive a job offer you will be asked to sign accepting this commitment.
– Describe how you are active currently in a local church
– Names of four references (including your local pastor) – please provide phone numbers, addresses and
nature of relationship
– Official transcripts (all undergraduate and graduate)
– List any licenses or certifications
Send to: Lori Farmer, Executive Assistant to the Senior Vice President at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Apply for this Job