Part-Time Arts Reach Teaching Artist – Museum
• Job Type: Part Time Job
• Job Location: New York, NY
The Museum of Arts and Design seeks an experienced Teaching Artist for its in-school program, Arts Reach, which provides opportunities for New York public school students to learn about arts, craft, and design through hands-on projects that reflect MAD’s current exhibitions. The program is presented in partnership with the Manhattan Alternate Learning Centers (ALC) and Bronx Alternate Learning Centers (BALC), a division of the New York City Department of Education that supports middle and high school students serving short- and long-term suspensions.
The ALC’s administration views these suspensions as an opportunity to reach students who are in severe danger of being left behind by their peers and to expose them to positive influences. The primary objective of the Arts Reach in-class workshops, which are led by the Museum’s Teaching Artists, is to provide a positive environment that nurtures innovative critical thinking and creative problem solving and encourages students’ self-confidence. For additional program information, please visit: madmuseum.org/learn/arts-reach.
This part-time position reports to the Manager of Education Programs, but will work collaboratively with other artist educators and the Groups Coordinator.
• Teach in schools and at the Museum, with responsibilities extending to Arts Reach, MADlab, and Teachers’ Professional Development activities.
• with the MAD Education Department in the design and implementation of interactive gallery talks and activities, including creating detailed lesson plans.
• all training sessions and meetings as scheduled by the Manager of Education Programs.
• MAD’s collection and special exhibitions.
• Document and reflect on your own teaching.
• Undergraduate or Master’s degree in Studio Arts, Art Education, or Education; a background in studio art preferred. Practicing artists are encouraged to apply.
• Strong lesson-planning and writing skills as well as knowledge of art, craft, and design; art, craft, and design history; art-making processes; and artistic development (grades K–12). Knowledge of National Core Arts Standards, New York State Teaching Standards, and the New York City Blueprint for Teaching and Learning in Visual Arts required.
• Demonstrated experience teaching students in school programs and/or special needs audiences.
• Experience working with a diverse group of students at the middle and high school levels.
• Knowledge of learning and cognitive theory a plus.
• Familiarity with best practices for children with special needs a plus.
• Experience working in a museum or cultural setting.
• Enthusiasm, creativity, flexibility, and the ability to work in a fast-paced class environment.
• Ability to make a commitment of at least one year.
• Candidate must register with the New York City Department of Education’s Personnel Eligibility Tracking System (PETS), a security clearing system; the NYCDOE requires all staff working directly with children to be fingerprinted and undergo a criminal background check.
Please submit cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Arts Reach Teaching Artist” in the subject line. No phone calls, please.
MAD is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in the hiring of personnel on the basis of race, creed, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, gender, age, Vietnam-era veteran or disabled veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, or any other protected status as provided by law.
Please Share the Arts Reach Teaching Artist – Museum job: