Full-Time Job Technical Director
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
The Human Race Theatre Company, Dayton, Ohio
Technical Director position
The Technical Director is responsible for overseeing all aspects of set construction along with the coordination of the load-in/strike schedule with other departments. A high level of interaction with designers is required in this position. The Technical Director also becomes the de facto representative for the venue when other organizations rent or use the facility.
Duties and responsibilities
• Act as liaison with Scenic, Lighting and Sound Designers and determine with the Associate Artistic Director, the technical and budgetary feasibility of scene, prop and lighting designs.
• Supply technical information and budget estimate for each design.
• Determine construction methods, schedules, materials and mechanics for the building and painting of each set
• Recommend and work with designers to adjust the design, if necessary, due to budgetary concerns
• Supervise and assist in the construction of the set
• Assist in the painting of the set
• Produce construction drawings as needed
• Supervise the installation and striking of each set, including all rigging and mechanical devices. Insure proper functioning and safety of all moving scenic elements
• Maintain and enforce schedules for all builds, load-ins and strikes
• Operate, maintain and safeguard all the technical aspects of the theatre and shop, including shop tools.
• Attend technical week rehearsals, in order to supervise and assist in the technical aspects of mounting the show
• Maintain Creativity Center (light bulbs, stage floor etc.)
• In the absence of a master electrician, coordinate with the lighting designer on all electrical needs for the show having to do with scenery.
• Assist as necessary when any other organization is present in the Loft Theatre
• Be on call during all performances in case of technical emergencies
• Inventory and order all supplies needed in scene shop
• Work with Stage Manager to make sure all drawings are supplied and explained
• Track and approve all scenic receipts for expenditures for shows and supplies
• Read and analyze scripts for future possible shows
• Attend weekly staff meetings, Production Meetings, Meet & Greets, Opening Nights and staff functions
• Hire and supervise any over-hire labor needed for production
• Serve as contact person for groups wanting to rent or purchase scenery
• Maintain relationships with community partners exchange of goods and services
• Monitor Performance Reports and address any technical issues before next performance
• Educate and instruct stage management, run crew and actors to use specialized scenic elements
• Move and set up offsite shop, as needed, for construction
In addition to the duties listed above, the Human Race Theatre Company expects the following of each employee: adheres to theatre’s policies and procedures; works in a safe manner; performs duties as workload necessitates; maintains a positive and respectful attitude; communicates regularly with supervisor about department issues; demonstrates efficient time management and prioritizes workload; demonstrates regular and consistent attendance and punctuality; meets department productivity standards; participates in HRTC events as needed or required; and completes other duties as assigned.
• Five years’ theatrical construction experience working in a professional theatre and a bachelors degree in technical theatre or a related field
• Minimum of two years technical supervisory experience
• Proven ability as a carpenter, draftsman, welder and theatre technician with experience in rigging and utilizing standard mechanical devices (electric winches, turntables, pneumatic cylinders, etc.) is required
• Ability to communicate effectively with guest artists and colleagues
• Ability to bid accurately and execute designs within a specific budget and schedule
• Good communication skills and the ability to organize and direct crews
• Proven skills and aptitude with Microsoft Office programs
• Understanding of basic budgeting and bookkeeping practices
• Ability to work at the conceptual level as well as the implementation phase
• A genuine interest in and knowledge of the theatre
• Proven organizational skills and ability to multi-task
• Proven ability to work independently and collaboratively in a fast paced, rapidly changing environment
• Ability to work long hours and to manage an irregular schedule including weekends and holidays
• Able to work successfully under pressure and meet deadlines and goals
A high degree of physical ability is associated with the Technical Director position. S/he must be able to
• Stand throughout the work day with walking, bending, stooping and kneeling.
• Heavy lifting (at least 75 pounds)
• Work on a lift or ladder from heights up to 30 feet
• Ability to work in an environment with a moderate to loud noise level
• Sit for 2 or more hours at a time
• Climb 3 flights of stairs
Head Carpenter/Charge Artist, Prop Master & Costume Shop Manager and various independent contractors
Full Time/Exempt Position. Salary negotiable based upon experience. Benefits package includes: Medical & Dental coverage (employee pays 50%).
Send letter of interest, resume and at least three references to:
Tara Lail, Associate Artistic Director
The Human Race Theatre Company
126 N. Main Street, suite 300
Dayton, Ohio 45402-1766
|• Job Title:||Technical Director|
|• Job Type:||Full-Time Job|
|• Employer:||The Human Race Theatre Company|
|• Location:||Dayton, Ohio, United States|