Full-Time Job Technical Director – Stage Operations
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
Technical Director – Stage Operations
The Technical Director is one member of a three-person production management staff that oversees all stage operations at The Joyce Theater. In conjunction with the Director of Production and the Lighting Supervisor, the Technical Director – Stage Operations is tasked with making sure that all stage needs of any production at The Joyce Theater are fully satisfied. This person works closely with the Director of Production in order to schedule all crew calls, makes decisions regarding the adaptation of a company’s production, and ensures The Joyce equipment is maintained in good working condition at all times. Supervision of the Joyce Theater stagehands (IATSE-Local One) is a large part of this position.
• Excellent hands-on theatrical technical knowledge and skills, with an emphasis on stage operations, rigging and carpentry. Electrics, sound, and video knowledge are a plus.
• Strong organizational, communication and scheduling skills.
• Experience in advancing productions.
• Experience in supervising show operations.
• Experience working with and supervising IATSE stagehands.
• Precise record keeping skills.
• Working knowledge of computers, Mac and PC.
o Vectorworks and Office (Word, Excel, Outlook) are a must.
• Bilingual in French and/or Spanish a plus.
The Technical Director reports to the Director of Production.
GENERAL DUTIES INCLUDE:
• Overseeing onstage operations and managing full-time (IATSE) and over-hire stage crew.
• Assisting the Director of Production in gathering production requirements from incoming companies, and determining how to facilitate their needs.
• Assisting the Director of Production in planning work calls for engagements and maintenance.
• Sharing performance supervision responsibilities with the Lighting Supervisor/Technical Director.
• Distributing pertinent technical information of the resident company to the house crew.
• Booking over-hire staff as scheduled by the Director of Production.
RECORD-KEEPING DUTIES INCLUDE:
• Creating and maintaining accurate show records, company files, house crew files, and over-hire call list.
• Maintaining, and creating as needed, accurate inventories of all stage equipment and supplies, and advising the Director of Production of purchase and repair needs.
• Maintaining accurate specifications of the theater/stage.
Due to the theater’s extremely busy schedule, the Technical Director must be able to work quickly and efficiently to serve the needs of visiting companies in a polite and helpful manner. The Technical Director must always ensure that work onstage is done in the safest environment possible and to the high standards of The Joyce Theater. The Technical Director will work with the Director of Production, Lighting Supervisor and Facilities Manager to ensure the proper upkeep of the backstage area. In the absence of the Director of Production, the Technical Director and Lighting Supervisor will be fully responsible for the smooth running of the production department.
This is a full-time salaried position, benefits included. EOE/AA
To apply, please send cover letter, resume, and references to email@example.com
subject line: Technical Director. No phone calls please.
|• Job Title:||Technical Director – Stage Operations|
|• Job Type:||Full-Time Job|
|• Employer:||The Joyce Theater Foundation, Inc.|
|• Location:||New York, New York, United States|