Full-Time Job Technical Director
TCT’s mission is to educate, entertain and engage audiences of all ages through professional theatrical productions and arts education programming. We fulfill our mission through three primary programs:
• TCT MainStage at the Taft Theatre – We welcome 107,000 children, teachers, and family members from across the Tri-State, to one of our four family-friendly and professional musical theatre productions at the historic Taft.
• TCT Showtime Series at Red Bank – New in 2017-2018, TCT will offer two Showtime Series productions annually. Fully-produced yet smaller, longer-run productions through which we can expand the age ranges of children we are reaching.
• TCT On Tour – We see over 60,000 children and their families at one of our touring performances or during an arts-integration workshop or residency.
• TCT Academy – Over 600 children will be provided fine arts instruction, including the group that participates in the four-week intensive summer NKU STAR Intensive where we offer professional musical theatre training to some of the region’s most talented youth.
Vision: To awaken a lifelong love of theater in children and the young at heart.
• We believe in the power of theater to enrich lives and create deeper understandings of people, cultures, and perspectives.
• We believe that our audiences deserve high quality experiences that are rich with wonder, honesty, compassion, joy, and wisdom.
• We believe that the arts and education are not mutually exclusive.
• We believe that the art we create must respect the diversity of our community.
• We believe in the power of integrated arts education to enrich our lives and our communities.
The ideal Technical Director (TD) is a skilled theater professional who is highly knowledgeable in all aspects of scenic construction, is familiar with lighting, sound and AV, and will effectively navigate the complexities of a multifaceted work environment with an ambitious production calendar.
The Technical Director is responsible for overseeing all technical/scenic operations of The Children’s Theatre of Cincinnati’s productions, including lighting, sound, props, set design and construction.
The Technical Director maintains technical spaces and equipment and develops and enforces practices that ensure safe, efficient, and effective operation of the scenic operations of The Showtime Stage, The Scene Shop(s) and the Taft Theatre. The role directly supports the success of the scenic operations for 4 MainStage productions, 2 Showtime Stage Series Productions, and 4-5 touring productions per year. The Technical Director reports to the Managing Director & CEO, and works alongside the Producing Artist Director and in conjunction with the Resident Scenic Designer and the Production Stage Manager. The Technical Director assists in identifying and prioritizing needs and initiatives, finding creative solutions to achieve goals while conserving resources.
• Maintain and safeguard all technical assets of Showtime Stage facilities, including lighting, sound and communications equipment.
• Determine technical needs for MainStage, Showtime Stage and touring productions – technical specifications, schedules, budget and assisting in determining IASTE crew sizes. Order materials and manage scenic design budgets. Coordinate the stage and equipment logistics; including the loading and unloading of trucks with crew. Work with the carpenters and designers to determine build and maintenance schedules. Hire and supervise over-hire technicians.
• Approve designs with regard to safety, compatibility, feasibility and scheduling considerations. Create technical drawings and plans and oversee and build sets. Coordinate transportation of scenery to and from the theaters, coordinate the load-ins/strike and storage all sets, props, TCT’s lighting and sound equipment after the end of the shows.
• Advise the members of the production team on technical aspects of each theatrical project.
• Supervise and assist in the technical aspects of all shows, establish technical schedules for all productions; attend technical rehearsals. Ensure safety.
• Maintain technical spaces and equipment in the shops and theater spaces; monitor the condition of equipment and perform preventive maintenance; inspect equipment on a regular basis; develop a replacement and upgrade schedule for tools and equipment and arrange for the repair and replacement within budgetary constraints. Work with the Operations Manager to orient facility users to the safety, technical elements and other areas of the facility’s operations. Create and maintain inventories of technical supplies and equipment. Oversee the process of checking scenic elements in and out for rentals.
• Develop and enforce practices that ensure safe, efficient and effective operations of all theater facilities and the Scene Shop.
• Make recommendations regarding capital purchases of technical equipment.
Current 2017-18 Season:
• Young Abe Lincoln (Tour): Build Begin: August 1; Rehearsal: August 7-18; Run: Sept-Nov
• Dr. Seuss’s The Cat in the Hat (Tour): Build Begin: August 1; Rehearsal: August 21-Sept 2; Run: Sept-May
• Peter Pan JR. (MainStage): Build Begin: August 21; Rehearsal: Sept 18-Oct 20; Load-In: Oct 16; Run: Oct 21-30
• Cinderella (MainStage): Build Begin: October 23; Rehearsal: Nov 5- Dec 8; Load-In: Dec 4; Run: Dec 5-18
• Celebrate the Season (Tour): Build Begin: August 1; Rehearsal: November 8- 22; Run: Dec
• Maya: A Writer’s Legacy (Tour): Build Begin: December 5; Rehearsal: January 2 – 12; Run: Jan – May
• Madagascar: A Musical Adventure (MainStage): Build Begin: January 2; Rehearsal: Jan 8 -Feb 9 ; Load-In: Feb 5; Run: Feb 10-19
• Polkadots (Showtime Series): BUILT; Rehearsal: Feb 5 -21; Load-In: Feb 16; Run: Feb 21- Mar 26
• Mary Poppins JR. (MainStage): Build Begin: Feb 22; Rehearsal: March 5 – April 6; Load-In April 2; Run: April 7- 16
• Bachelor’s Degree in Technical Direction with experience in a professional or educational environment, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Working knowledge of techniques, methods and procedures of theatre, dance, and music productions and presentations including stage, set, sound and lighting design and implementation; stage management; computerized lighting systems; appropriate safety precautions and procedures and ability to analyze and evaluate the need for technical support for various events and performances.
• Working closely with a tight knit, passionate, and dedicated staff.
• Working knowledge of PC and Mac based productivity software, as well as functional familiarity with industry standard theatrical software and able to learn other software as needed.
• Prior supervisory experience of a team in a dynamic environment and in management of direct reports. Experience advising and training students preferred.
• Excellent problem solving and communication skills, both written and oral. Establish and maintain effective working relationships with various groups.
• Valid Driver’s License.
• Able to lift, push or pull objects up to 100 pounds using appropriate tools, safely climb stairs and ladders, and use Genie lifts.
• Able to maintain a flexible work schedule, which may include irregular and extended working hours.
Compensation & Benefits:
• Salary range: Competitive
• Health, vision and dental benefits available, partially subsidized by employer contributions, after a waiting period
• 403(b) retirement plan participation available, after a waiting period, with eligibility for an employer match after one year of credited service
• Generous PTO based on years of service
• Generous paid holiday schedule
To apply, send your cover letter, resume, and any reference letters to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please use the subject: “Technical Director Submission”
|• Job Title:||Technical Director|
|• Job Type:||Full-Time Job|
|• Employer:||The Children’s Theatre of Cincinnati|
|• Location:||Cincinnati, Ohio, United States|