Full-Time Job Technical Director
Sacred Fools Theater Company, a California 501 (c)(3) located in Hollywood, is dedicated to creating and fostering a dynamic, empowered artistic community in Los Angeles. The company is run solely by the member artists in a volunteer capacity. We have an ongoing commitment to the development of new plays and projects which challenge traditional expectations of the theatrical experience.
The Company is currently seeking a full-time Technical Director, and this position would be the only role receiving a salaried compensation within the organization.
The Technical Director is the individual hired by and reporting to the Managing Director to maintain the functionality of all the technical equipment in the theater complex, as well as the scheduling, contracting and execution of all technical aspects of Sacred Fools productions. The position would also be responsible for the overall organization of the facility. Position is exempt; $45k+DOE
• Maintain technical equipment and inventory and keep well-stocked all technical and build supplies for each space
• Advise on technical capacity and capabilities of each space
• Research upgrades and, in consultation with the Design Committee, make recommendations to Managing Director on potential technical upgrades.
• Attend all Sacred Fools production meetings
• Create and supervise deadlines for technical designs.
• Contract, support and supervise labor during builds, strikes, and tech.
• Upon delivery of the initial design (and any subsequent changes), immediately communicate to designers any issues regarding feasibility, both technically and financially, and suggest revisions where needed.
• Alert Production Manager and Managing Director to any financial concerns regarding submitted designs.
• Make sure design elements are safe for patrons and artists.
• Be available onsite or in an advisory capacity, during builds, hangs, and other aspects of tech week and help with build and tech when needed.
• Open spaces for rentals and give tours to potential renters when necessary
• Train rental production board ops when needed.
• Supervise initial load-ins of rental productions.
• Make sure easy-to-follow light plots are created for each production for the use of secondary programming.
• Maintain list of furniture, etc. used by rentals & where it is stored in each space.
• Make sure easy-to-understand start up/shut down instructions are posted for each space and that house & work lights are fully functional.
• Sufficient education or training to demonstrate ability to be responsible for maintaining a professional technical theater experience in a multi-disciplinary performing arts facility. BA or BFA in technical theater production is preferred but not necessarily required.
• Prior experience as a resident or freelance technical director in a professional capacity is required.
• Knowledge and skills regarding carpentry and computerized lighting and audio systems.
• Well-organized and able to change work focus quickly and constantly throughout the day, as well as determine priorities with minimal supervision.
• Must be able to work evenings, weekends and long days as necessary for productions.
• Valid California Driver’s license
Physical Requirements and Work Environment
• Must be physically able to safely lift up to 40 lbs. regularly and 60 lbs. on occasion.
• Occasionally work hours beyond 8 hours in a day to complete work for a production.
• Turns, bends, reaches, crawls, stoops and occasionally uses a ladder.
• Works at a desk and computer screen for some periods of time.
If interested, please apply by sending a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please include “Tech Director” in the subject line.
The position offers competitive compensation and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. There are currently no benefits associated with the position, though paid vacation is negotiable. Pre-employment background screening is required.
|• Job Title:||Technical Director|
|• Job Type:||Full-Time Job|
|• Employer:||The Sacred Fools Theater|
|• Location:||Los Angeles, California, United States|