Internship Job Spring Internship – Design Studio
• Design Studio Internship, Spring 2018
• Department: Content Strategy and Digital Engagement, Graphic Design
• Job-type: Part-Time, Internship
• Job ID: # 23719
Founded in 1935, SFMOMA was the first museum on the West Coast devoted to modern and contemporary art. From the outset, the museum has championed the most innovative and challenging art of its time, and we continue to exhibit and collect work by both modern masters and younger, less-established artists. By embracing the challenge of the new and unexpected, we hope to encourage fresh ways of seeing, thinking, and engaging with the world. SFMOMA’s internship program offers insight into the operations of one of the country’s leading art museums and allows interns to gain valuable hands-on experience.
The Design Studio has one unpaid intern opportunity available. 3-5 days per week, 7 hours per day.
The SFMOMA Design Studio is responsible for all visual communication for the museum, both print and digital, including branding, exhibition graphics, publications, sfmoma.org, open space, digital screens, and more. The department plays an integral role in content strategy and communicating the museum’s voice to onsite and offsite visitors.
Duration of Internship: February – April 2018
• Skills gained:
Studio experience working on an in-house team, knowledge of the inner workings of a world class arts institution, various production methods
• Projects worked on:
Assistance on a wide range of projects as well as one larger, ongoing project which will be led by the intern, and guided by the Design Studio
• Transferable Skills:
Studio experience, content strategy, design critiques, project management
• Jobs this internship prepares someone for: a junior designer or designer position in a design studio or on an in-house design team
Under the close supervision of the Senior Designer, the intern(s) will be responsible for:
• Assistance on a wide range of projects, help with organization, archiving and documentation design studio projects, ongoing work on their own project and participation in department meetings and design critiques
• Interns will be required to attend regular classes to further their understanding of museum careers.
• Student (graduate or undergraduate) in Graphic Design or similar
Highly proficient in Adobe Creative Suite
• Ability to clearly communicate and present ideas and designs, set priorities and meet deadlines.
• Intern must be available to work every Tuesday or Thursday, and Friday
• Knowledge of HTML, CSS, or motion graphics
HOW TO APPLY:
Before applying, please visit the Internships Section of our website at
You will apply online for an internship opportunity.
We are happy to work with your educational institution to provide credit for this internship.
Internship application on our website
Cover letter detailing how your background/coursework will contribute to this department and what you wish to gain from this internship
Letters of Recommendation (one personal/professional and one academic) in a confidential, sealed envelope with the recommenders’ signature across the seal
Portfolio showcasing relevant graphic design work. This can be submitted as a PDF or a URL to an online portfolio
The San Francisco Museum of Modern Art is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to diversity among its staff.
|• Job Title:||Spring Internship – Design Studio|
|• Job Type:||Internship Job|
|• Employer:||San Francisco Museum of Modern Art|
|• Location:||San Francisco, California, United States|