Full-Time Senior Manager of Member Services
Youth Singers of Calgary is seeking a Senior Manager of Member Services, responsible for overseeing our active, engaged member base.
Who Are We?
Youth Singers (YSC) is one of Calgary’s premiere performing arts education organizations for youth and adults. We have over 500 members, ranging in age from 3.5 to senior citizens, and offer music and dance training in 15 different divisions. Various YSC divisions and choirs rehearse or hold classes 5 days a week and on many weekends, and we produce 2 shows at the Jubilee Auditorium each year, in addition to over 75 performances throughout the community each season.
All told, our volunteers (predominantly consisting of our member families) contribute over 25,000 hours annually in areas ranging from rehearsal and performance chaperones to special event planning to theatrical design and production (wardrobe, props, sets, etc.) to organizing our music library to serving on our board of directors and so much more. Additionally, we have one of the largest bingo programs in the province, which in conjunction with regular casinos provides a substantial portion of our operating funds.
We have an administrative team of 9 to 11 people amounting to 7 FTE, as well as an artistic team of 50 part-time contract choral directors, choreographers, accompanists, theatre arts instructors, composers, arrangers, theatre technicians, and more.
We are a non-profit organization with a strong culture of collaboration and creativity. We have many specialists, in both our administrative and artistic staff, but we all pitch in to make things happen, whether that’s helping a co-worker with a big project, answering the phones, taking out the recycling, or calling up a contact or vendor that may be slightly outside of our purview. We are an arts organization that takes great pride in our artistic process and product but understands that our success is underpinned by a strong business sense and administrative backbone. We are a frugal company, looking to stretch our donors’ dollars to the maximum, while still providing a world-class program and experience for both our singers and the professionals who work with them.
The Senior Manager of Member Services is a part of the 5-person senior management team working toward the ongoing health, growth, and development of the organization. Core responsibilities include:
• Volunteer Role Management – collecting the volunteer needs of every department, recruiting volunteers to fill these positions, working with our administrative team and departmental volunteer managers to track members’ volunteer hours and ensure that members have completed their required hours, and offering leadership to the volunteer councils for each division.
• Volunteer People Management – managing the volunteer force and their relationships with each other, their roles, and the staff. We want our volunteers to feel that they are in the right role, ranging from challenging and interesting to manageable and low-stress, depending on their desire and needs. There are many ways for people to be involved at YSC; we want them to fit into the right place.
• Volunteer Resource Management – ensuring that all our volunteers have the training, tools, and skills to do their jobs effectively. This may include updating job descriptions, researching and developing policies and procedures, or ensuring that physical resources are available.
• Member Support – providing support to our members and families in a guidance role, in conjunction with the CEO and other senior staff members as appropriate. This role is the first point of contact if there are disciplinary issues that need to be escalated beyond the rehearsal hall, or if there are conflicts among volunteers or between the volunteers and staff. Additionally, we often become confidants to our members’ lives and homes. We are not counsellors but can help point people in the right direction when they need assistance. This role draws on compassion, training in working with youth and children, and resources available in the community to help our members succeed outside of Youth Singers’ doors. A wide range of issues may come across your desk, such as helping an individual find resources for mental illness, assisting with carpool arrangements for a singer whose parents are unable to provide the support necessary for the program, or providing support for a genderfluid or transgender singer as they navigate their gender identity in the context of their membership at YSC.
• Oversee the general health and safety of our membership, in compliance with our governance policies. This includes tasks such as interpreting and enforcing our family handbook ( http://www.flipgorilla.com/p/23837411469469855/show ); maintaining our first aid supplies and safety procedures; and adhering to organizational policies, including those around child protection, our adopted Best Practices relating to Sexual Orientations & Gender Identities ( https://education.alberta.ca/media/1626737/91383-attachment-1-guidelines-final.pdf ), and other policies laid out by our Board of Directors and our senior staff.
• Senior Leadership – The Senior Manager of Member Services is a member of YSC’s Senior Management team, one of 5 individuals each overseeing a full department which includes numerous contract staff members, several direct reports, and many key volunteers. The senior management team contributes strongly to long-term organizational planning, vision-casting, succession planning, and other big-picture leadership of the organization.
• Supervise a part-time administrator reporting directly to you, and between the two of you, oversee the following tasks and groups:
o Bingo Volunteer Management – overseeing the bingo and gaming schedule, recruiting volunteers to work over 150 bingo events each year, tracking members’ bingos worked, and being on call during events (in conjunction with our volunteer bingo managers).
o Rehearsal Support – a member of this team needs to be on-site during all rehearsals unless otherwise arranged, answering members’ questions, problem solving in the moment when other staff may not be available, and being available to assist where needed.
o Event Support – we produce 2 mainstage shows, perform upwards of 50 times in the community, and run 2 major fundraising events each year. A member of this team is on-site for the mainstage shows and fundraising events, and at other events as needed (typically all events in which singers in grade 12 and under are involved, and some beyond that).
o Office/Admin Support – the Member Services department is a key part of YSC’s administrative team and will pitch in when necessary (i.e. answering phones, helping with fundraising campaigns, etc.).
o Member-Driven Fundraising Support – this office works closely with the Development Department to execute member-driven fundraisers (i.e. raffle tickets, Purdy’s chocolate sales), connecting with families during rehearsals and arranging for volunteer support to run these campaigns.
o Board of Education Program Support – We are accredited with Alberta Education to offer high school credits and have a CBE staff member on site to facilitate this program during rehearsal. You will ensure that she has the resources she needs, ensure our compliance with the Alberta Ed administrative requirements, and liaise with the Artistic Director if our curriculum ever comes into non-compliance with their curriculum requirements.
Who Are You?
The traits of a successful applicant boil down to a few key points. If this job is for you, you are:
• A friendly people person, able to build relationships and trust with our families (and significantly, our parents, who volunteer as a part of their child’s musical education).
• Organized and able to multi-task. You are responsible for overseeing many work hours and individuals, and you work with staff across all departments of the organization. It’s imperative that both the organization and our members are served well, and that many people’s priorities are handled appropriately. This position requires excellent time management skills, seeing the big picture of an entire season, and prioritizing your duties to ensure that the minutiae doesn’t fall between the cracks.
• Strong interest in volunteer management as an area of expertise and growth. We are looking for someone who wants to grow and who has a passion for volunteerism and helping our volunteers and our organization to work together to thrive. Whatever experience you bring to the role, the ideal candidate has further to go in their excitement for this sector of the non-profit world.
• Forward-thinking and interested in breaking new ground. In the past couple of years, many facets of YSC have moved forward, including online registration, online information dissemination (rather than paper handouts), and other methods of communication and efficiency. The volunteer department is primed to take advantage of these tools, and your input into our next steps is valued and desired. An interest in and aptitude for using technology and web tools to make work more efficient is a must.
Skills & Qualifications
• Priority will be given to candidates with a Certification in Volunteer Administration ( http://www.vmpc.ca/certification.html ). Short-listed candidates who are not CVA Certified will be asked to consult the CVA Documentation of Eligibility ( http://cvacert.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/2018-CVA-Documentation-of-Eligibility.pdf ) as a baseline for job requirements.
• Substantial experience in the education system or another related field working with children/youth and their families in a guidance role, whether as a staff member or as a volunteer yourself.
• Experience as a significant contributor to the research, development, and implementation of policies and procedures within an organization.
• Experience working in the performing arts is an asset but not required. A love of music and enthusiasm as a patron of the arts is an important quality in our team.
• Up-to-date police check or willingness to acquire prior to employment being confirmed.
• Excellent written and verbal communication, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills. This position works with a wide cross-section of individuals and needs to communicate effectively with many different learning styles.
• This is a full-time position requiring you or your team to be available most weekday evenings, Saturday mornings, and occasional weekends (September through May; summer hours can be more flexible). Specific hours can and will be negotiated with your assistant for rehearsal coverage. Your department’s core hours are approximately 1 PM – 8:30 PM Monday to Thursday and 9:00 AM – 12:30 PM Saturdays, with flexible Friday hours. Add some extended weekends beyond Saturday morning (average of 2/month – more during our busy performance season; fewer during our slower months) to bring the position to full-time hours. Overall, hours worked can and will be adjusted to meet the needs of the organization. Outside of the on-site or on-call needs of the organization your hours can be flexible to your needs.
• Comfortable working autonomously. The Senior Manager of Member Services is a part of a large, vibrant team, but often works without direct supervision and must be a self-starter.
• Vehicle ownership for use at off-site events is a significant asset.
• Cell phone that you are willing to use for work purposes is a significant asset.
Compensation & Benefits
• Salary range of $40,000 to $60,000 annually, commensurate with experience.
• Flexible schedule: YSC utilizes a “lieu time” model of hours tracking and overtime. There are peaks and valleys to the demands on your time. Some weeks demand more than others, and you will be expected to work until the job is done; however, using your accrued lieu time is expected and encouraged to maintain a healthy work-life balance and to balance out your hours when there are slower periods (lieu time accrues at 1.5x after 44 hrs/wk, per provincial requirements).
• High level of trust for senior employees: the default mindset is a Results Oriented Work Environment — we trust you to manage your hours, schedule, workload, location, and task list, so long as your work is being completed in a high-quality, timely manner.
• Remote work capability and flexibility for ad-hoc or scheduled work from home
• Significant YSC program tuition discounts for immediate family members – commensurate with salary/contract size
• Discount on facility rentals for personal events
• Casual dress code
Please send a resume and cover letter to Shirley Penner at email@example.com
Applications will remain open until April 20 at 5:00 PM or until a suitable candidate is found.
Please Share the Senior Manager of Member Services job: