Full-Time Job Scene Shop Supervisor
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
Steppenwolf Theatre Company is seeking candidates for the full-time position of Scene Shop Supervisor.
The Scene Shop Supervisor reports to the Technical Director and assists them in supervising the carpentry staff, technical design/engineering, construction, installation, and maintenance of scenery for a season of 7 Steppenwolf mainstage productions and 2 Steppenwolf for Young Adults productions, plus special events across three stages. This position also plays a leadership role in equipment maintenance, facilities planning, and for ensuring workplace health and safety.
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications:
• Significant professional experience in scenery construction techniques, CNC Routers, theatrical rigging, mechanical design, automation, and drafting
• Leadership skills in a scene shop environment
• Ability and commitment to working with diverse groups in terms of gender expression, race, sexual orientation, religion, ability, age, class and immigrant status
• AutoCAD drafting skills (both 2D & 3D)
• Problem solving skills and an ability to research and develop new techniques/materials
• Demonstrated ability to work on multiple and on-going projects to achieve the highest standards
• Experience with production transfers nationally (including Broadway) and internationally
• Thorough knowledge of scenic automation theory, system design, installation, and troubleshooting. Experience with winches, elevators, hydraulics, and pneumatics involving complex integration across axes
Five or more years of professional working experience in scenic carpentry is preferred. Candidates with equivalent experience and expertise will be considered.
This is a scene shop-based position but regularly works in other Steppenwolf locations such as the rehearsal hall, theatre, and at various vendors all across Chicagoland. Candidates must have a current, valid driver’s license, clean driving record, their own car, and the ability to drive company vans and 24’ trucks.
Responsibilities, in support of the Technical Director:
• Supervise, train, and mentor carpentry staff, apprentices, and overhire in implementing scenic designs
• Ensure construction that achieves design goals, adheres to production schedules, and is structurally sound
• Review, interpret, and troubleshoot design and working drawings to assess practical feasibility and to ensure necessary information is communicated to scenic carpenters
• Collaborate with Technical Director to creatively assess appropriate materials and construction methods
• Promote preventive maintenance as a strategy in maintaining hand and power tools as well as gas and electric welders by performing and directing the routine maintenance and cleaning of all tools and equipment in the scenery shop.
• Monitor and maintain inventory of materials and hardware to ensure efficient workflow
• Devise a long term plan for layout/workflow and capital improvement of the Scene Shop physical plant in collaboration Technical Director, Facilities Director, and Director of Production
• Adhere to strict health and safety guidelines and play a leadership role in maintaining a safe work environment
Steppenwolf Theatre Company, recognized in 2009 as a Top Small Workplace by The Wall Street Journal, is where great acting meets big ideas. The theatre’s passion is to tell stories about how we live now; its mission is to engage audiences in an exchange of ideas that makes people think harder, laugh longer, feel more. The theatre celebrates and honors the core values of ensemble, innovation and citizenship. Steppenwolf has a commitment to diversity and equity, and the organization has a focus on diversifying the artists, audiences, staff and board who make Steppenwolf great.
As a not-for-profit, ensemble-based theatre company operating in the city of Chicago, the company’s activities include a wide range of artistic programs including a seven play subscription series, non-subscription mainstage productions, new play development and visiting companies, national and international tours, Steppenwolf for Young Adults play series, professional leadership programs, educational programs, new play commissions and workshops. Steppenwolf seeks to engage its community in a spirited dialogue around today’s issues, which results in more than 200 events produced throughout the year. The company owns five different facilities housing its three theatres, production facilities, offices and other support facilities and is managed under the leadership of Anna D. Shapiro, Artistic Director and David Schmitz, Executive Director.
Compensation will be commensurate with qualification and experience, and is competitive with prevailing compensation for similar positions within the non-profit performing arts industry. Excellent benefit package offered, including medical and dental insurance, short-term and long-term disability insurance, vacation pay, paid sick leave, and a 401(k) matching retirement program.
Steppenwolf Theatre Company is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. We strongly encourage applications from people of color and members of underrepresented groups.
How to apply:
Interested and qualified candidates should submit a cover letter, resume, and three references by July 27th to firstname.lastname@example.org
Materials should be addressed to Mike Donohue, Technical Director.
Please list Scene Shop Supervisor and your last name in the subject line of your e-mail. Please note in your email where you found out about this job.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.
|• Job Title:||Scene Shop Supervisor|
|• Job Type:||Full-Time Job|
|• Employer:||Steppenwolf Theatre Company|
|• Location:||Chicago, Illinois, United States|