Full-Time Job Assistant Director, Selection, BookOps
• Job ID: 2017-9527
• Location: Long Island City, New York
• Job Type: Full-Time Regular
• Department: CAD, Cataloging Administration
BookOps is a shared library technical services organization that serves the Brooklyn Public Library and the New York Public Library. The BookOps Selection department acquires library materials in all formats for children, teens, adults and world language users in accordance with the strategic goals and initiatives of New York Public Library and Brooklyn Public Library.
Under the general supervision of the Deputy Director of Collection Management, the Assistant Director of Selection:
• Leads a team that coordinates, manages and develops the print, media and digital collections for the circulating collections of the BookOps member libraries
• Responsible for the centralized selection of newly published and replacement materials in print, non-print, electronic, and other emerging formats for the system-wide collections of the BookOps member libraries, including Brooklyn Public Library (BPL) and the circulating collections of the New York Public Library (NYPL).
• Formulates a recommended materials budget allocation for each library by format and age level following the strategic collection goals and annual materials budgets of the member library, including a recommended “expenditure pattern” designed to address publication cycles, special projects, and end-of-fiscal-year goals.
• Develops, implements, and monitors a department work plan that sets out the goals of each team lead and their staff—including the use of distribution templates, autoship plans, and other tools and services designed to allow individual selectors to more easily and effectively select materials for community libraries.
• Selects, appoints, leads, evaluates, and directs the BookOps Selection staff.
• Actively collaborates with appropriate units at member libraries in areas of materials selection, especially in support of capital, legislative, and grant funded collections projects.
• As invited, participates in the planning, decision making and implementation of member libraries’ policies around collections and collections use.
• Participates in member libraries’ staff training related to collection management.
• Maintains contact with member libraries’ Collection Liaisons and other staff on issues or needs pertaining to collection development.
• In conjunction with the Assistant Directors for Acquisitions and Cataloging and/or BPL and NYPL Collection Liaisons, reviews and recommends licenses and/or contracts with materials vendors and publishers for the acquisitions of library materials in all formats or related services.
• Keeps abreast with current trends, emerging technologies, issues and research in library collection development.
• Represents BookOps, and by extension, member libraries, in professional and public forums.
• Ensures the appropriate expansion and/or integration of technology into the materials selection process and procedures.
• Documents and implements procedures and instructions for improved workflows.
• Maintains statistics and produces reports.
• Performs related duties as required.
Managerial/ Supervisory Responsibilities:
• The Selection Department has 15 employees. The Assistant Director of Selection has 7 direct reports: 4 Coordinators and the 3 person Ordering Team.
• ALA-accredited Master’s degree in Library or Information Science.
• Minimum 3 years of supervisory experience.
• Demonstrated long-range strategic planning and budgeting skills.
• Knowledge of publishing industry trends and library vendors.
• Demonstrated ability to develop staff, to work with and communicate with diverse groups and individuals.
• Demonstrated flexibility, reliability, punctuality and attention to detail.
• Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a team environment.
• Strong organizational skills and the ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
• Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills, including those necessary to participate in interviews, presentations, or publish articles on collection development.
• Knowledge of activities and tools associated with the acquisitions, cataloging, processing, collection arrangement, promotion, and weeding of public library materials.
• Experience with opening day collections.
Work Environment: Office environment
9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Evenings and weekends as required
Schedule subject to change
Union / Non Union: Non Union
HOW TO APPLY
To apply for this job position, please follow the link:
Search for Job ID 2017-9527
|• Job Title:||Assistant Director, Selection, BookOps|
|• Job Type:||Full-Time Job|
|• Employer:||New York Public Library|
|• Location:||New York, United States|