Full-Time Job ESOL Assistant Coordinator – Library
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
• Job ID 2017-9956
• Job Location: Manhattan, New York
• Job Type: Full-Time Regular
• Department: ALC Adult Learning Centers
The Adult Learning Centers (ALCs) are the direct service providers of ESOL and adult literacy instruction for the Library. They use professional teachers to offer free instruction to adult patrons in reading, writing, speaking and listening from a 0 to 8th grade level. Through formal classes in language and literacy, as well as elective offerings such as English conversation and citizenship preparation groups, ALCs have taken on the charge to expand ESOL instruction in the Library.
This position supports the ALC Coordinator in the operational and logistical processes needed to enroll and track students that includes:
• Data and required student files for over 6,000 students per year.
• Student intake, assessment and registration events four times a year across the system for 184 classes per cycle.
• Providing outreach materials (fliers, updating webpage)
• Managing program materials and purchases
• Collaborates with the ALC Coordinator to administer system-wide ALC recruitment/registration/intake, including planning information sessions, registering students across all ESOL sites, preparing class rosters, and student assessment.
• Prepares outreach materials and programming updates (fliers, brochures, distribution lists, NYPL ALC web pages, etc.), coordinates branch logistics for intake and testing, coordinating branch staff for 42 locations
• Manages purchasing activities through Workday by producing requisitions, tracking purchase orders, processing invoices for payment, managing use of procurement cards, coding invoices from vendors, and verifying vendor payments are processed, Monitors, orders and distributes office supplies, annual renewal of maintenance contracts
• Responsible for the oversight of NYS Dept. of Education program compliance requirements for maintaining 1,400 individual student files (writing samples, test scores, ADA consent forms, etc.) in accordance with the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA) audit expectations.
• Creates and updates a guard coverage schedule for formal/informal classes, working with Library managers, Hub Managers, and the Library’s security department to resolve scheduling conflicts
• Creates and maintains a statistical template each cycle to track monthly class attendance, shared with NYPL’s Strategy department.
• Provides day-to-day administrative support for the ALC Coordinator including: sets up meetings, including preparation of agendas, maintaining program calendars, organizing and managing files, distributing mail, photocopying, and directing paperwork requiring approval signatures to appropriate individuals and offices, receives incoming telephone calls, takes messages and refers callers to appropriate staff
• Performs other duties as required
• Accountability and Professionalism – Demonstrates enthusiasm for and commitment to the position and accepts responsibility for personal actions.
• Customer Service – Commits to meeting the expectations of internal and external customers. Listens and responds effectively to customer questions; resolves customer problems to the customer’s satisfaction; respects all internal and external customers.
• Collaboration and Teamwork – Supports a positive team environment in which members participate, respect and cooperate with each other to receive desired results.
• Job-Specific Knowledge and Skills – Plans, prioritizes, and organizes work effectively to produce measurable results; keeps current with and effectively applies new work methods, skills and technologies to complete work.
• Bachelor’s degree and successfully demonstrated administrative experience
• Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills, including the ability to respond effectively to phone inquiries and to deal tactfully and effectively with Library staff and the public
• Demonstrated proficiency in the use of technology, including: NYPL’s Google suite that includes document and spreadsheet management, presentation software; email, and online calendars
• Demonstrated ability to perform detailed work with speed and accuracy
• Excellent organizational skills
• Strong commitment to high quality and productivity
• Successfully demonstrated ability to work independently with minimal supervision in a collaborative team environment; exercise good judgment, discretion, and initiative, and meet deadlines
• Spanish language proficiency preferred
• Certification in Best Plus test administration
Will work throughout NYPL system in branch library sites during student intake and registration events but primarily in the Bronx Library Center. Attends centralized meetings in various branch sites.
Union / Non Union: Non Union
HOW TO APPLY
To apply for this job position please follow the link and search for job ID 9956
|• Job Title:||ESOL Assistant Coordinator – Library|
|• Job Type:||Full-Time Job|
|• Employer:||New York Public Library|
|• Location:||New York, New York, United States|