Part-Time Job Library Page – Library for the Performing Arts
• Job ID: 10100
• Job Location: Manhattan, New York
• Job Type: Part-Time
• Department: PACIRC LPA Circulating Collections
Do you love books and love helping people? The New York Public Library has been an essential provider of free books, information, ideas and education for all New Yorkers for more that 100 years. As a Library Page at The New York Public Library you will do that and much more. A Page position is meant to give you knowledge about what it means to work within a library system. You will have access to a wealth of knowledge and experience which will allow you to decide if the library is where you want to begin your career. We are looking for candidates that demonstrate a strong work ethic, are reliable and possess excellent written and verbal communications skills. You will be expected to be an ambassador for the library, so a friendly demeanor goes a long way.
The library page position is scheduled for 19 hours per week, including evenings and Saturdays. Schedules are variable based on library needs and may be subject to change.
Under the direction of a Page supervisor, Library Pages are responsible for a variety of tasks within the library, including:
• Retrieving and shelving print and non-print materials.
• Shelf reading and helping maintain the organization and general appearance of the library.
• Preparing and processing new material for circulation.
• Providing basic assistance to patrons on the use of computers and other technology or software.
• Preparing the library for opening and/or closing by performing such assignments as rearranging/ straightening chairs and tables, picking up materials for shelving, and replenishing depleted supplies. (e.g. pencils, pads, printer and photocopy paper)
• Photocopying and messenger work.
• Assisting with library programs and outreach initiatives.
• Performs other related duties as required.
• Accountability and Professionalism – Demonstrates enthusiasm for and commitment to the position and accepts responsibility for personal actions.
• Customer Service – Commits to meeting the expectations of internal and external customers. Listens and responds effectively to customer questions; resolves customer problems to the customer’s satisfaction; respects all internal and external customers.
• Collaboration and Teamwork – Supports a positive team environment in which members participate, respect and cooperate with each other to receive desired results.
• Job-Specific Knowledge and Skills – Plans, prioritizes, and organizes work effectively to produce measurable results; keeps current with and effectively applies new work methods, skills and technologies to complete work.
NYPL Core Values
• Attention to detail
• Strong communication skills
• Current enrollment in an approved degree program at an accredited educational institution.
• Must possess good communication and interpersonal skills and the ability to maintain and foster cooperative and courteous working relationships.
• Must demonstrate strong attention to detail, speed and accuracy in carrying out duties.
• Ability to sort efficiently in alphabetic, numeric or alphanumeric order.
• Strong computer skills, including working knowledge of Microsoft Office programs, the Internet and e-mail programs.
• Demonstrated ability to work with a team and on independent projects.
• Demonstrated flexibility and reliability
• Customer service experience preferred
• This position is located in a research library
• This position requires frequent lifting and carrying of library materials; pushing and pulling of book carts; and frequent stooping and reaching.
Minimum Salary (with 2 years of NYPL service): USD $13.00/Hr.
Hours: 19 hours a week.
Preferred work schedule: Mon-Fri 10:00am-3:00pm
Union / Non Union: Non Union
HOW TO APPLY
To apply for this job position please follow the link and search for job ID 10100
|• Job Title:||Library Page – Library for the Performing Arts|
|• Job Type:||Part-Time Job|
|• Employer:||New York Public Library|
|• Location:||New York, New York, United States|