Full-Time Job Education Coordinator, Youth Technology
Job ID: 2017-9725
Job Location: Manhattan, New York
Job Type: Full-Time Regular
Department: YES Youth Education Services
The Education Coordinator of the NYPL’s Youth Technology pilot initiative is responsible for assisting the Manager in the establishment of a strong practice of technology education in NYPL branches for grades 1 – 12. These programs aim to facilitate development of essential computer skills like coding, as well as broader informational literacy and digital literacy skills, provide opportunities for youth to engage in creative, interest-driven technology-based learning, and promote civic engagement by encouraging youth to engage with their communities through technology.
The Education Coordinator will be responsible for creating curricula and trainings, as well as supporting branch staff, under the supervision and guidance of the Manager.
• Creates curricula for Youth Technology drop-in workshops, long-term tech clubs, tech-based Programs in a Box, and other tech-based programming for children and teens under the supervision and guidance of the Youth Technology Manager
• Creates and implements staff training modules
• Coordinates purchasing of materials, organization, distribution, and tracking of all tech materials
• Communicates with branch staff through phone calls, email, Skype/Google chat and an online platform such as Google + to create a supportive community of practice
• Visits tech clubs and drop in workshops to provide pedagogical guidance and support
• Helps Manager liaise with internal stakeholders such as IT, Digital, TechConnect and Purchasing
• Related duties as required
Managerial/ Supervisory Responsibilities:
This position may supervise CUNY interns
• Accountability and Professionalism – Demonstrates enthusiasm for and commitment to the position and accepts responsibility for personal actions.
• Customer Service – Commits to meeting the expectations of internal and external customers. Listens and responds effectively to customer questions; resolves customer problems to the customer’s satisfaction; respects all internal and external customers.
• Collaboration and Teamwork – Supports a positive team environment in which members participate, respect and cooperate with each other to receive desired results.
• Job-Specific Knowledge and Skills – Plans, prioritizes, and organizes work effectively to produce measurable results; keeps current with and effectively applies new work methods, skills and technologies to complete work.
Addional Skills and/or Competencies:
• Experience with some of the following technologies:
• Computer Programming (Python, Java, Scratch)
• Digital Media Production (Video, Audio, DJing)
• Student engineering tools (LEGO robotics, Arduino, 3D printing)
• Bachelor’s Degree in related field, Master’s preferred
• Minimum of three years’ experience teaching K – 12 in a formal and/or informal setting
• Enjoys using technology with children and teens
• Experience writing curriculum used by other staff
• Experience working collaboratively on educational projects
• Ability to work well both independently and collaboratively across many different Library departments
• Ability to coordinate work with many different external constituencies
• Ability to work well under pressure, meet deadlines and wear many different hats
• Excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills, including the ability to serve as an enthusiastic ambassador for the Library
• Excellent organizational skills
• Commitment to diversity and inclusion
• Experience teaching technology skills to youth or adults (programming, computer basics, digital media production, engineering, or web)
• Experience running trainings for fellow educators
• Experience with program and project management
Work Environment: Branch libraries and 39th street office space
Union / Non Union: Non Union
HOW TO APPLY
To apply for this job position please follow the link and search for job ID 2017-9725 Education Coordinator, Youth Technology.
|• Job Title:||Education Coordinator, Youth Technology|
|• Job Type:||Full-Time Job|
|• Employer:||New York Public Library|
|• Location:||New York, New York, United States|