Full-Time Curatorial Assistant – Painting and Sculpture
• Assists senior curators in all areas of responsibilities, including administrative work in the context of curatorial functions such as research for exhibitions and publications, loans, acquisitions, collections records, bibliographic and biographical records and files, and general curatorial inquiries.
• Assists senior curators with all aspects of research, planning, organization, and realization of upcoming exhibitions.
• Writes, edits, and assists in the production of Museum publications and exhibition-related materials, including wall texts and extended object labels.
• Researches and catalogs the Museum collection and archives as they relate to the exhibition project.
• Answers related inquiries.
• Performs exhibition support functions, including bibliographic and checklist research, loan correspondence, publication research and production, website development, and public program planning.
• Assists in the maintenance of the collection and loans, and expedites arrangements for custodial, registration, conservation, and preparation work as required in the gallery, study, and storage areas. Functions as a liaison with outside persons and organizations, and with other departments within the Museum.
• May assist in research and preparation for potential acquisitions for the collection, including biographical and bibliographical research, maintaining files, and communicating with dealers, galleries, collectors, and artists, as necessary.
• Keeps informed of current activity in the area of departmental interest through gallery and museum visits, publications, etc., and makes recommendations to senior staff.
• Conducts daily collection gallery inspections and daily inspection of works on view in temporary exhibitions and assists with follow-up arrangements in the event of damage, deterioration, etc.
• Answers inquiries and conducts gallery tours as necessary for visitors, etc.
• Any other duties reasonably related to the functions described above. Reports to senior curatorial titles.
• Master’s degree in art history. Expertise in history of modern and contemporary art, 20th century to the present.
• Additional expertise in new media and media theory is helpful but not essential.
• Superior research and writing skills essential. Strong knowledge of at least one foreign language.
• Additional requirements include strong organizational skills and attention to detail and working knowledge of MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint and other standard office procedures and skills.
HOW TO APPLY
The Museum of Modern Art job application guidelines
If you would like to submit your resume and cover letter for consideration, please choose one of the following options:
By email: email@example.com (most preferred option)
By fax: (212) 333-1107
By mail: The Museum of Modern Art
The Department of Human Resources
11 West 53 Street
New York, NY 10019
If submitting by email, please send us your resume and cover letter as one document in PDF format.
Please be advised that due to the high volume of applicants, we are able to contact only those candidates whose skills and background best fit the needs of the open positions.
Thank you for your interest in employment opportunities at The Museum of Modern Art.
The Museum of Modern Art is an equal opportunity employer and considers all candidates for employment regardless of race, color, sex, age, national origin, creed, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or political affiliation.
Please Share the Curatorial Assistant – Painting and Sculpture job: