Full-Time Curatorial Assistant – Architecture and Design
Job Title: Curatorial Assistant – Architecture and Design
• Assist the department’s senior design curatorial staff in all areas of their responsibilities, including acquisitions, collections records, bibliographic and biographical records and files, research for design exhibitions and publications, loans, and general curatorial inquiries.
• Performs work in relation to the care of the collection and arranges for custodial, registration, and preparation work as required in the maintenance of the collection in gallery, study, and storage areas.
• Performs research for exhibitions including research on artists, periods, styles, etc.; on specific works; on locations of works; on photograph sources; etc. Assists in preparing catalogues and checklists.
• Coordinates and schedules work to be done within the Museum and without, in such areas as conversation, photography, public information, matting and framing, construction, lighting, etc.
• Assists with the preparation and installation of wall labels.
• Conducts daily inspection of the works on view in temporary exhibitions and assists with necessary follow-up arrangements. Answers general inquiries and conducts some gallery tours as necessary for visitors and department-related committees.
• In addition to working on large-scale loan exhibitions, works closely with senior staff on collection-based exhibits from MoMA’s contemporary design collection, for the 2019 reopening of the Museum and beyond.
• Reports to The Phillip Johnson Chief Curator of Architecture and Design and the Department Manager, and works closely with assigned curators.
• Master’s degree required, ideally in design, design history, art history, or a related field. Some relevant work experience is also required, as is competence within area of departmental interest.
• Expertise in contemporary design with a global perspective is preferred, but not required.
• A keen interest in the history of the display of design objects at MoMA as well as a curiosity to develop new models of display for contemporary design are strongly encouraged.
• Strong writing and research skills, as well as exemplary organizational skills and attention to detail are essential. Working knowledge of MS Word, Excel, and other standard office procedures and equipment.
• Reading knowledge of one or more foreign languages.
HOW TO APPLY
The Museum of Modern Art job application guidelines
If you would like to submit your resume and cover letter for consideration, please choose one of the following options:
By email: firstname.lastname@example.org (most preferred option)
By fax: (212) 333-1107
By mail: The Museum of Modern Art
The Department of Human Resources
11 West 53 Street
New York, NY 10019
If submitting by email, please send us your resume and cover letter as one document in PDF format.
Please be advised that due to the high volume of applicants, we are able to contact only those candidates whose skills and background best fit the needs of the open positions.
Thank you for your interest in employment opportunities at The Museum of Modern Art.
The Museum of Modern Art is an equal opportunity employer and considers all candidates for employment regardless of race, color, sex, age, national origin, creed, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or political affiliation.
Apply for this Job