Part-Time Job Marketing & Audience Development Manager
Marketing & Audience Development Manager Position Description
About The Mendelssohn Choir of Pittsburgh
The Mendelssohn Choir of Pittsburgh (MCP), the region’s premiere symphonic chorus and oldest continuously performing arts organization at 109 years young, occupies a unique position in the Greater Pittsburgh arts landscape: it is an independent arts organization that simultaneously has been the choral partner of the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra (PSO) for more than 90 years, a relationship that has become MCP’s defining characteristic in recent years. However, with the assistance of a three-year Greater Pittsburgh Arts Small Arts Capitalization grant, MCP will re-brand itself through bold, innovative self-productions and robust marketing to position MCP as a vibrant, artistic organization for the 21st century in its own right, and to expand and cultivate new streams of revenue to support MCP’s artistic ambitions long-term.
MCP seeks to make a fundamental shift in its approach to programming by creating concert events that immerse the listener in a complete experience in ways unique to the choral arts, break down the walls of accessibility to classical music, and provide opportunities to engage community partners, especially nonartistic partners. Last year’s productions of “The Music of Downton Abbey” and “Annelies” and the recent “Serenity Now” concerts were the first steps towards this goal. January’s world premiere of Steven Hackman’s “The Times They Are A-Changin’” at Mr. Smalls, a nationally known rock venue, will further demonstrate MCP’s versatility and help to evolve MCP’s new artistic model.
In addition to performances with the PSO and self-produced concert events, MCP operates the Junior Mendelssohn Choir of Pittsburgh, Western PA’s premiere young adult chorus for talented youth in grades 8-12.
About This Position
The Marketing & Audience Development Manager will play a key role in determining MCP’s successful implementation of its new artistic vision. Specifically, the Marketing and Audience Development Manager will assist in the development of a comprehensive strategic marketing plan for MCP, have overall responsibility for implementing all program marketing and communications including digital and social media, and have overall “stewardship” responsibility for patrons.
This is a new position that is funded by a three-year grant from the Greater Pittsburgh Small Arts Capitalization Program. It is an exciting opportunity to help MCP tell its story in compelling ways to attract and engage new audiences for a beloved arts organization seeking to redefine its identity in its second century of song. Continuation of the position beyond the initial granting period will be contingent on MCP’s success at expanding and generating new revenues.
The Marketing & Audience Development Manager is an exempt, part-time position averaging 25 hrs per week (.625 FTE) with a flexible work schedule that requires some evenings/weekends. Reporting to the Executive Director, the Marketing & Audience Development Manager will work closely with the Artistic Director, consultants, and community stakeholders.
Essential Roles and Responsibilities
Strategic Leadership & Communications
• Work collaboratively with the Executive Director, Music Director, and marketing/artistic consultants to develop a comprehensive institutional and program marketing strategy for MCP to meet new business model revenue goals.
• Develop and implement annual marketing plan/schedule and oversee the creation and dissemination of effective messaging and communications to patrons via print, digital, advertising, and ticket sales campaigns.
• Design and execute a digital communication strategy ensuring timely and thoughtful engagement with participants/users.
• Ensure brand consistency for all materials and communications.
• Ensure that all media placements, event listing deadlines, and print deadlines are met.
• Working with MCP’s graphic designer, create all marketing communications materials including but not limited to direct mail, concert programs, signage, and advertising.
• Regularly update and maintain MCP website and manage relationship with outside firm providing web hosting and maintenance.
• Design and disseminate all electronic and social media communications (e.g. Constant Contact, Facebook, Twitter).
• Develop ticketing and discount policies; manage and update MCP ticketing site (Ovationtix).
• Manage all appropriate external resources for photography, videography as needed.
• Purchase radio underwriting/advertising as needed.
• Manage all reciprocal marketing with the PSO, concert partners, and arts organizations.
• Track, analyze and report on online engagement metrics including website and social media analytics.
Audience Development & Earned Revenue Responsibilities
• Work with Executive Director, Music Director, and other MCP staff to plan and implement audience engagement activities such as previews, pre-talks, talk-backs, or other ancillary programming designed to complement the concert experience.
• Design and manage MCP audience data collection methods such as audience surveys. • Provide stewardship to patrons (e.g. responding to queries, problem solving) to ensure their MCP experience is positive.
• Serve as MCP’s Accessibility Coordinator to handle all patron inquiries regarding venue accessibility, and recommend and implement strategies to make MCP self-produced events more accessible.
Front of House Responsibilities
• Coordinate with venues, partners, and other MCP staff for front of house logistics for selfproduced concerts including Junior Mendelssohn.
• Oversee and manage front of house volunteers involved in ticket sales and ushering.
• Develop an annual marketing budget in consultation with the Executive Director and manage expenditures accordingly.
• Comply with requests for data (e.g. concert attendance, ticket sales analyses, etc.).
Required Skills, Education, and Experience:
• Bachelor’s degree required. A degree in arts management is desirable but not necessary.
• 2-5 years arts marketing experience.
• Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite; knowledge of Word Press or willingness to learn.
• Experienced with social media.
• Strategic thinking and analysis skills combined with the ability to be detail oriented.
• Strong writing and editing skills; strong verbal, writing, and editing skills; ability to communicate with a range of stakeholders.
• Effective organizational and time management skills with the ability to multi-task.
• Ability to work both independently and collaboratively as needed.
• Possess a passion for the arts, a sense of curiosity, and the ability to be flexible.
• MCP operates a virtual workplace so employees are required to maintain a home office (i.e. computer/printer, internet, phone).
Hiring range is $26,000-$28,750 (based on a FTE salary range of $42,000-$46,000) plus paid vacation and holidays.
Submit resume, cover letter, and two short writing samples (e.g. eblast copy, press release, social media posting, etc.) to firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications will be reviewed on an on-going basis.
MCP is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status, or other characteristics protected by law.
At the time of employment, you must present documentation that you are legally authorized to work in the United States.
|• Job Title:||Marketing & Audience Development Manager|
|• Job Type:||Part-Time Job|
|• Employer:||The Mendelssohn Choir of PIttsburgh|
|• Location:||Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States|