Full-Time Job Manager of Diversity and Inclusion
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
The School of American Ballet (SAB) seeks to fill the position of Manager of Diversity and Inclusion. Founded in 1934 by George Balanchine and Lincoln Kirstein to train dancers for professional ballet careers, SAB is a constituent organization of Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts and is the official—yet independent—school of New York City Ballet. SAB conducts summer and winter training programs for almost 900 students annually and maintains a professionally staffed on-site residence for non-local students attending the 10-month Winter Term and 5-week Summer Course.
The Manager of Diversity and Inclusion plays a principal role in SAB’s efforts to both recruit an ever-increasing number of ballet dancers of color from around the country and to ensure that SAB is an inclusive and supportive environment for the exceptionally promising ballet students aged 6 to 18 who study here. Job responsibilities include:
• Collaborate with colleagues across SAB departments (Student Life, Recruiting, Development, Artistic) to build consensus and identify strategies for recruitment, retention and student support.
• Serve as program director for SAB’s National Visiting Fellows Program. Manage applications, administration, and programming (in conjunction with SAB faculty) for each annual cohort and ongoing communications with past cohorts.
• Serve as liaison for SAB’s Alumni Advisory Committee on Diversity and Inclusion and SAB’s NYCB Dancer Council on Diversity. Manage membership, event planning, and tap expertise of both groups for the betterment of SAB’s programs and initiatives.
• Build and maintain relationships locally and nationally with other ballet schools, educational organizations and service groups to communicate SAB’s goals, challenges and best practices.
• Nurture the development of an inclusive environment where all SAB students can flourish. Conduct surveys and focus groups of current and former students and parents; provide regular cultural competency training to staff and faculty; develop programming and training for new and returning students; and plan orientation and educational activities for Children’s Division families.
• Liaise with Student Life leadership on an ongoing basis to address student/community concerns as related to diversity and inclusion.
• Maintain metrics and other records of diversity performance and activities to benchmark SAB’s work and measure ongoing progress.
• Create, manage and track project budgets as well as overall program budget.
• Experience managing a strategic initiative directly related to diversity and inclusion
• 4+ years non-profit experience in audience development, programming or education
• Excellent writing, research, and analytical skills
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, including public speaking ability
• Bachelor’s degree. Graduate-level work preferred.
• Background or interest in performing arts
• Availability for some travel and weekend work
• Conversational Spanish fluency a plus
The School of American Ballet is committed to an equitable and inclusive program and a diverse faculty, staff and student body. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Superior benefit package, including full health benefits, four weeks vacation (plus two holiday weeks in December), and generous retirement savings benefits.
Submit resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.
|• Job Title:||Manager of Diversity and Inclusion|
|• Job Type:||Full-Time Job|
|• Employer:||School of American Ballet|
|• Location:||New York, New York, United States|