Contract Job ICE! 2017 Technical Director
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
Hotopp Associates, Ltd. is seeking a technical director with theatrical production experience for a seasonal, part-time position on ICE!, a holiday-themed attraction, built in place in Grapevine, TX by master ice carvers. The Technical Director (TD) for ICE! will be responsible for coordinating the technical aspects of the production among the production team, design team, and related vendors. The TD will work both independently and with an assigned team. The TD must reside within reasonable driving distance of the production venue. Travel expenses will not be reimbursed.
Estimated Time Commitment:
• This is an onsite, part-time, seasonal position, from approximately 8/1/17 to 1/1/18. Hours will vary depending on the phase of the project and overall production schedule.
• Load-in phase (8/1/17-10/4/17, approximately 160 total hours): Hours will vary from week to week, but will be primarily daytime, weekday hours. Daily communication and schedule flexibility are required. Weekend calls may be required.
• Construction (ice carving) phase (10/5/17 — 11/10/17, approximately 140 total hours): Hours will vary from week to week, and will include time on weekends. Schedule flexibility is required.
• Operation phase (11/10/17-1/1/18): Approximately 6 hours per week.
Duties Will Vary With the Phase of the Project, But Will Include:
• Coordinating scheduling information among vendors and the client, maintaining a daily log of vendor progress, and helping to resolve any scheduling or integration problems. Attending weekly production meetings.
• Attending work calls as needed to ensure that all tent doors, ground-support truss, scaffolding, air handlers, ducting, power-drops, masking, and rigging points are positioned according to the drawings, and actively participating in problem solving when adjustments are required.
• Coordinating labor requests and attending work calls for the onsite assembly and rigging of props.
• Participating in floor layout marking, in coordination with the Art Director.
• Unpacking, inventorying, assessing, organizing and tracking of props. Communicating information about any missing or damaged props to the shop. Minor onsite prop repair and assembly. Supervision of prop installation.
• During the operation phase, performing weekly walk-through of ice attraction. Photographing and reporting any issues with ice maintenance to ice carving vendor and client. Reporting any issues with props to prop shop and client.
Skills Needed for Success:
• Excellent communication and client management skills
• First-hand experience and knowledge of theatrical production processes, theatrical rigging equipment and related safety practices
• Knowledge of basic construction techniques
• Ability to understand technical drawings. Familiarity with AutoCAD or other CAD software preferred.
• Experience scheduling and managing temporary labor
• Basic knowledge of trucking logistics
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite
• The TD must provide his/her own laptop computer or other mobile device with Microsoft Excel or other compatible spreadsheet software, email, internet access, and ability to upload photos from a digital camera to file sharing site.
• Cold gear. Note that the ice construction area is kept at a temperature varying from 8-12 degrees Fahrenheit, with wind from air handlers. The TD may need to be in the cold for 30-90 minutes between warming breaks. Appropriate warm clothing, gloves and shoes are required. Hard hats are required during construction.
• This position requires some lifting, up to 50 lbs., when unloading and organizing props, and may require other physical activity such as climbing ladders and working in a construction zone with potentially slippery conditions.
• Drug testing is required for all onsite staff
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter and résumé to email@example.com
|• Job Title:||ICE! 2017 Technical Director|
|• Job Type:||Contract Job|
|• Employer:||Hotopp Associates Limited|
|• Location:||Grapevine, Texas, United States|