Full-Time Job Humanities and Sciences Department Chair
The chair is the administrative, academic and artistic department leader, and works collaboratively with other chairs as an academic leadership team on behalf of Cornish College of the Arts and its academic mission.
Full-time, Exempt (12 month administrative position)
Provide academic leadership in the oversight and direction of ongoing operations of the Humanities and Sciences Department, which includes:
1. Articulation of college and departmental mission and policy to the faculty, staff and students within the department
2. Facilitation of departmental meetings
3. Maintenance of departmental records
4. Cultivate faculty excellence through professional development opportunities.
5. Facilitate adjunct mentorship by assigning core liaison relationships.
6. Advises the provost on matters of staff and faculty retention, hiring, corrective action and termination in accordance with collective bargaining agreements of the college
7. Facilitate assignment of departmental faculty to campus-wide committees
8. Oversight of all departmental committee work
9. Advance the college’s inclusivity and diversity by ensuring equitable educational opportunities and diversity in cultural offerings.
10. Facilitation of curriculum development, reevaluation, and revision, student advisement processes, and all other educational activities of the department
11. Development of department and program-level learning outcomes and assessment of student learning
12. Resolution, when possible, of student academic grievances and student requests for academic exceptions
13. Collaboration with the provost and other appropriate Cornish personnel on student disciplinary procedures, issues of sexual harassment and compliance with Title IX regulation, academic probation, suspension and/or expulsion, and all other relevant aspects of student life.
14. Responsible for development, assessment, and oversight of the first year student program
15. Collaboration with Information Technology Department in assessing and addressing the instructional technology and general technology needs of the Humanities and Sciences Department
FISCAL AND OPERATIONAL:
1. Preparation and appropriate administration of departmental budgets according to college policy and procedures
2. Evaluation and recommendations regarding academic planning initiatives in term of educational and financial viability
3. Preparation and submission of staff and faculty payroll information;
4. Oversight of all departmental facilities and equipment to ensure safe and generative educational environments for all Cornish students.
1. Collaboration with department faculty, other department chairs and the provost on long-range college and departmental planning
2. Collaboration as necessary and as requested by the Provost with all administrative units of the college, including Finance, Operations, Student Affairs, Human Resources, Enrollment Services, Registration, Summer Programs, Advancement, Alumni Relations and Publications
3. Serve as liaison with other academic and administrative departments and the greater academic and professional community
4. Support of departmental and college-wide performances and exhibits
5. Attendance at official college functions including graduation, all-school meetings, and others as requested by the president or provost
6. Performance of other duties as assigned by the Provost
7. Chairs serve on the following campus-wide committees:
– Chairs Council
– Curriculum Committee
– President’s Table
– Other Committees as assigned by the Provost
The chair is required to teach one course, or its equivalent, once each academic year. This teaching responsibility is at no additional salary and negotiations as to equivalency must be negotiated with the provost. (Directing a play, choreographing a dance, or mounting an exhibit are examples of possible equivalencies.) A chair wishing to teach more than one course and/or wishing to make additional artistic and/or academic contributions is required to seek prior approval by the provost, who will determine adequate compensation compatible with the chair’s academic rank.
SUPERVISION: Supervises the department coordinator and departmental faculty including:
1. Hiring, training, reviewing and evaluating department coordinator
2. Evaluation of all departmental faculty in accordance with college policy
3. Oversight over substitute teachers
4. Assignment of faculty teaching loads within the department
5. Oversight of staff and faculty attendance
– The chair must have a record of distinguished academic and professional achievement
– Terminal degree or relevant professional equivalent
– A minimum of three years academic administrative experience at a comparative professional level
– 7 years teaching experience in higher education preferred
– Proven effective organizational, communication and interpersonal skills
– Proven ability to work compatibly with a diverse student body, faculty, staff and colleagues
– Collaborative leadership style
For consideration, please submit the following to email@example.com
1. CV or Resume
2. Letter of Interest addressing requirements and College mission
3. Three Professional References
4. Cornish Employment Application
1. Diversity and inclusion are among Cornish College’s values. As Humanities & Sciences Chair, how will you support our culturally diverse student body, build and strengthen our liberal arts education, as the College pursues excellence and innovation in educational programs? (500 words)
2. How do you as an educator and leader bridge difference and advance equity? (500 words)
Humanities and Sciences Department Mission:
The Humanities and Sciences Department provides a curriculum that engages art students in an exploration of the social, environmental and cultural contexts in which artistic production takes place. The aim of the department is to inspire curiosity about the world, cultivate civic awareness and foster the habits necessary for life-long learning.
The Humanities and Sciences Department seeks to provide a curriculum that:
– Introduces students to the epistemological approaches of the humanities, sciences and social sciences and their ways of apprehending the world.
– Promotes a deeper understanding of intersections between the disciplines and what kind of complex issues and questions might benefit from interdisciplinary approaches.
– Exposes students to cross-cultural perspectives and promotes an understanding of how and why cultural assumptions take shape and change over time.
– Promotes the development of students’ capacity to make informed judgments and choices as an expression of civic responsibility and engagement.
Incomplete applications will not be considered. Position is open until filled.
Equal Opportunity Statement: Cornish College of the Arts is an equal opportunity employer intent on enriching the diversity of its faculty, staff, and students. Our goal is to create an intercultural learning environment comprised of people with varied experiences and perspectives. We strongly encourage applications from members of underrepresented groups for all open positions.
|• Job Title:||Humanities and Sciences Department Chair|
|• Job Type:||Full-Time Job|
|• Employer:||Cornish College of the Arts|
|• Location:||Seattle, Washington, United States|