Part-Time Job House Manager
POSITION: House Manager (“HM”)
a. This is a part-time regular position.
b. The work schedule is shared by two part-time house managers.
c. The work schedule follows the performance schedule: evening and weekend work; must be flexible. HM may be required to attend special events both on- and off-site.
d. The HM reports to the Patron Services & Community Relations Manager.
Founded in 1982, The Joyce Theater was created by dancers for dance. Today, The Joyce is considered one of the premiere performance venues for dance. Since its inception, The Joyce has welcomed various New York City-based, national and international dance companies to its stage.
The mission of The Joyce Theater Foundation is to serve and support the art of dance and choreography, promote the richness and variety of the art form in its fullest expression, and enhance the public interest in, and appreciation of, dance and the allied arts of music, design, and theater.
The House Manager’s primary responsibility is to oversee all aspects of Front-of-House operations during performances.
Supervising sub-managers, ushers, bartenders, and lobby attendants; maintaining the safety and well-being of all persons in the building and upholding a first-rate level of customer service with all Joyce Theater patrons. The Joyce Theater Foundation is committed to an inclusive work environment as an EOE and AAE.
• Know the season schedule of companies, performances and events. Be aware of changes.
• Assist with the recruitment, maintenance and scheduling of the FOH staff force including, substitute managers, staff ushers, volunteer ushers, bartenders, concessionaires, door guards and lobby attendants.
• Assist in providing FOH staff training in customer service and customer safety throughout the season.
• Be aware of technical issues of each performance that affect FOH such as: strobe lights, nudity, live music, loud music, amount of standing room available, etc. Discuss with the Production department and/or programming department. Communicate issues to the FOH staff as needed in keeping with customer service and safety.
• Be aware of ticketing issues of each performance that affect FOH such as: number of seats sold (compare this to visual), cancellation line organization, problem ticket-buyers and patrons, etc. Discuss with the Box Office department and know the box office policies. Communicate issues to the FOH staff as needed in keeping with customer service and safety.
• Be aware of visiting artist/company issues of each performance that affect FOH such as: “odd” performance times, early or late seating, dancer-audience interaction during performance, company receptions, etc. Discuss with Artist Services Manager or visiting company and know expectations and policies. Communicate issues to the FOH staff as needed in keeping with customer service and safety.
• Via headset, communicate the start and end of each performance to Production staff and Stage Manager including the coordination of timely intermissions and pauses in between performances.
• Receive patrons and supervise audience seating.
• Be available to handle patron and company medical emergencies.
• Be available to handle all issues that may arise during pre-show, show and post-show times such as noisy children, picture-taking, cellphone usage, difficult patrons.
• HM must remain on duty until all patrons and FOH staff leave the Theater.
• Monitor building for compliance with fire, safety and ADA regulations.
• Maintain program book cabinet. Be aware of supply and communicate with Patron Services & Community Relations Manager about quality and quantity.
• Check all public areas of the Theater prior to receiving patrons.
• Report any Theater issues such as broken seats, frayed carpeting, etc. to the Facilities Manager.
• Understand operation of all fire and burglar alarm systems and be prepared to take charge of them in case of an emergency.
• Have thorough knowledge of Theater evacuation procedures and be prepared to take charge of evacuation in the event of an emergency.
• Perform accounting of bar and concessions sales, including sales of visiting company merchandise, after each performance.
• Maintain FOH cash drawers and petty cash fund.
• Act as backup to provide Finance with the bi-weekly payroll and complete paperwork on new hires.
(Training will be provided if not already certified)
• First aid Adult CPR
• FDNY Certificate of Fitness: F03, Indoor Place of Assembly Safety
• FDNY Certificate of Fitness: S95, Supervision of Fire Alarm Systems
• FDNY Certificate of Fitness: S12, City Wide Sprinkler Systems
• Alcohol Seller / Server Food Protection
• Two or more years of experience as a House Manager in comparable theater setting
• Proficient in Microsoft Office
• Confident & gracious personality
Send resume and cover letter to Sharonica Williams at email@example.com
No Phone calls please.
|• Job Title:||House Manager|
|• Job Type:||Part-Time Job|
|• Employer:||The Joyce Theater Foundation, Inc.|
|• Location:||New York, New York, United States|