Part-Time House Manager
Quintessence Theatre Group now accepting applications: Theater House Manager
Title: House Manager
Reports to: Artistic Director and Managing Director
Status: Part Time Permanent/Non-exempt Position to start late August 2018. $800/month (40 hours/month for 10 months), some flexibility in work times and hours. Experience in house management and/or customer service highly desirable.
The House Manager oversees all activities in the “front” of the house including — but not exclusively – ticket sales, ushers, concessions, maintenance, rentals and management of the theater, to ensure that the experience of each patron is professional, enjoyable and safe. He or she is responsible for everyone in the theater who is not an actor or member of the stage crew.
The House Manager will work closely with the production team to ensure high-quality theatrical presentations. Reporting to the artistic Director and Managing Director, the House Manager will play an essential role in the exciting expansion and growth of an award-winning professional classic theater company located in the Mt. Airy neighborhood of Northwest Philadelphia.
• Oversee all operations pertaining to the “front” of the house when open to the public.
• Resolve any patron complaints/issues arising during productions.
• Work with Volunteer Coordinator to train and maintain volunteer ushers and staffing for
concessions; manage interns assigned to front of house duties.
• Supervise professional cleaning service and ensure the lobbies and theater are tidy before
and after all performances.
• Purchase and market all concessions and merchandise.
• Stock all front of house cleaning and paper products.
• Manage opening night parties including configuring space and ordering food/drink.
• Respond to rental requests; be on-site personally (or schedule an alternate) during rentals;
manage rental calendar; negotiate agreements; show space to prospects; and secure space
• Ensure the theater is safely opened and closed for performances and rentals.
• Be on-site for inspections and maintenance.
• Ensure that the area in front and alongside theater is appropriately cleaned and clear of
hazards and trash.
• Assist to ensure that building trash is set out weekly for pick-up.
• Work with other Quintessence personnel to man booths at local festivals and that the
appropriate brochures, banners and other items are in place.
Quintessence Theatre Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on
the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, height, weight, or marital status in employment of the provision ofnmservices or any other category protected by law.
Please email your resume and a one-page cover letter outlining your suitability for the role to Patricia Stranahan, Managing Director, at Resumes@quintessencetheatre.org with “House
Manager” in the subject line. Candidates invited to interview will be asked to provide 3
references. No phone calls please. Interviews will begin immediately and continue until a
suitable candidate is found.
About the Quintessence Theatre Group:
Founded in 2009, Quintessence Theatre Group is the only professional theater company in
culturally and economically diverse Northwest Philadelphia. It is a member of Actors’ Equity
Association. We fulfill our mission by re-envisioning the classics for present-day audiences while remaining true to the epic scope and poetic text. This approach attracts both nationally recognized and local actors who find challenge and inspiration in Quintessence’s thought-provoking and innovative productions. We encourage young actors to train with and work alongside seasoned actors as an ensemble, and try to hire casts that reflect the demographics of our community, which is 41 percent African-American. We strive for inclusiveness through flexible ticket pricing so theatergoers at all income levels can attend. A robust outreach program introduces thousands of children under 18 to the classics through family-friendly productions, interactive school workshops, and student matinees with talkbacks.
Learn more at www.quintessencetheatre.org
We thank all applicants, but only those considered for an interview will be contacted.
Quintessence Theatre Group is an EOE/AA employer and values diversity in the workplace.
Minority candidates are encouraged to apply.
Apply for this Job