Full-Time Job General Manager
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
DESCRIPTION OF ORGANIZATION
Chicago Jazz Philharmonic unites jazz, classical, and other genres to create a new and evolved, “third stream” sound. On stage and in classrooms, CJP brings together unlikely audiences, musicians, and cultures, from school age to adulthood, locally and globally. The orchestra is internationally recognized for its cross-collaborations in jazz, classical, and other musical genres while CJP’s educational program works with schools to provide a linear track for music instruction, performance and enrichment from kindergarten through college.
As a key member of the Chicago Jazz Philharmonic team, the General Manager is part of senior management and works closely with staff and outside consultants to manage the daily operations, strategic goals and financial operations of the organization. The General Manager plays a pivotal role in the smooth financial and administrative operations of the organization, while supporting marketing and development functions, and the position requires the highest level of attention to detail, prioritization, foresight and passion. This important position is at the center of all of the organization’s activities and is directly connected with the core and extended Chicago Jazz Philharmonic team, the Board of Directors, patrons and supporters. The General Manager reports to the Executive Director and will have an exciting opportunity to participate in the development and growth of an ambitious and international cultural institution. We seek a dynamic, professional and entrepreneurially inclined individual who is looking for an opportunity to work in a singular environment offering room for professional growth and advancement.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Provide essential support to the Executive Director in the development and delivery of Chicago Jazz Philharmonic’s business development, operational and strategic plans.
• Ensure the effective daily operation of the Chicago Jazz Philharmonic office and staff activities by being the point person for all administration issues and driving effective internal communication and interaction.
• Administer insurance coverage for all areas of the company’s activity including liability, workers compensation, and certificates of insurance for vendors and contractors.
• Solicit proposals and negotiate and manage supplier, venue and consultant contracts and delivery of services.
• Maintain the organization’s donor and sponsor database, and supervise mailing and communication campaigns.
• Oversee IT and CRM (databased) systems to maintain an efficient, working, office environment.
• Order office supplies, maintain office equipment and oversee maintenance staff and office premises.
• Ensure compliance with applicable city, state and federal laws.
Marketing and Public Relations
• Work with Executive Director to develop and implement annual Marketing Plan and Calendar in line with programmatic and institutional activities
• Work with Program Staff to develop and deliver programmatic marketing activities in line with earned revenue targets, budgets, tracking ROI on marketing activities, and evaluating marketing efforts.
• Manage Social Media outlets including post schedule, events, fundraising activity, and reporting – including but not limited to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn – centralizing efforts between all staff
• Ensure Website content is up-to-date with current programmatic and institutional initiatives, meets standard design format and requirements, with all media assets in working order, and is communicating efficiently with back-end database.
Fundraising and Resource Development
• Work with the Executive Director and Board to develop and deliver organizational and programming fundraising targets (particularly on annual fund and special events), track ROI on fundraising activities, and evaluate fundraising efforts.
• Coordinate donor cultivation and fundraising events, including annual “Think Big” Gala – acting as liaison between CJP, Gala Committee, event planners, managing in-house Event Coordinator/Intern and program staff involvement, fulfilling sponsorship requests, and providing stewardship to sponsors and attendees.
• Ensure fulfillment of sponsorship agreements and foundation contracts (i.e. visibility, employee engagement, ticket invitations and requests, etc.)
• Prepare organizational and project budgets for fundraising proposals and funding reports, and ensure that accurate records are communicated to and kept by program departments.
• Oversee and administer Chicago Jazz Philharmonic’s day-to-day human resources functions, including recruitment, hiring and on-boarding processes, maintaining an up-to-date staff handbook, employment policies, contracts, payroll, vacation entitlements, health insurance, training and workers compensation.
• Together with Executive Director and Program Staff, create, monitor and revise operating and projects budgets, and monitor the financial management of the organization, keeping all organizational and programming activity within budget.
• Produce clear and concise financial reports and cash-flow projections for internal use and for regular review by the Board Trustee and Finance Committee.
• Provide support and direction to staff members on the development and management of project budgets, monitor spending and provide guidance on best financial practices.
• Prepare accounts ready for audit, and manage the audit process with the appointed Certified Public Accountants.
• Provide bookkeeping, accounts payable, receivables and cash flow management in conformity with non-profit accounting regulations.
Board and Committee Relations
• Manage the administrative requirements of the Chicago Jazz Philharmonic Board of Directors including the preparation of Board materials and presentations, maintaining Board document archive.
• Assist Executive Director and Board Chair with supporting work of Board committees and Board projects as needed.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
The General Manager must possess a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree and at least 5 years of experience in all the areas of responsibilities of this job. S/he must have strengths in marketing and fundraising skills, and administrative, financial, personnel and managerial experience in a commercial or non-profit arts or culture setting. S/he must be highly motivated, organized, flexible, able to work under pressure, diplomatic, and have superior interpersonal and written communication skills. Experience in financial management and reporting is required and experience in fundraising and/or marketing are highly desirable. The position requires a keen understanding and knowledge of the performing arts and/or arts education world, an interest in music, and a commitment to Chicago Jazz Philharmonic’s mission and programs. The position provides the unique opportunity to be at the center of a growing, ideas-based organization with links to presenters, musicians, educators, and composers around the world.
Full-time exempt position requiring availability during regular office hours (generally Monday-Friday from 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.); evening and weekend work may be required on occasion for special events.
Please send cover letter and current résumé to email@example.com
Chicago Jazz Philharmonic does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, religious belief, gender, sexual orientation, age, national origin, ancestry, veteran status, physical or mental disability or any other protected status in admission or access to, or employment in its programs and activities.
|• Job Title:||General Manager|
|• Job Type:||Full-Time Job|
|• Employer:||Chicago Jazz Philharmonic|
|• Location:||Chicago, Illinois, United States|