Full-Time Gallery Director
LUX Center for the Arts is a non-profit organization providing arts education to our diverse community. The Gallery Director works cooperatively with a small, dedicated team of arts professionals and reports directly to the Executive Director.
This is a professional, career position.
Work- week is Tuesday – Saturday and includes First Friday evenings.
A work- week may exceed 40 hours periodically.
• Has extensive knowledge in contemporary art and fine craft.
• Has experience handling artwork and installing exhibitions.
• Communicates effectively both orally and in writing.
• Can lift up to 50 pounds and climb tall ladders
• Is computer literate in Microsoft Office software; QuickBooks Point of Sale a plus.
• Four-year degree in an art-related field, or related experience.
• Can recruit, train, and supervise volunteers and interns.
• Has a valid Nebraska driver’s license, satisfactory motor vehicle record
• Develop and maintain exhibition schedule for 2-5 years in advance.
• Maintain appearance of galleries: patch and paint walls, clean floors, pedestal construction and maintenance, maintenance of other display equipment.
• Install, dismantle and rearrange artwork and rotate displays on a regular basis
• Control inventory: updates, labeling, price sheets for all artwork, manage POS system
• Produce educational materials for showroom galleries and exhibitions describing various media, techniques, biographical information on each artist.
• Maintain adequate levels of inventory of artwork and purchased merchandise
• Develop and implement annual sales plan to meet or exceed budget goals.
• Collect and utilize buyer and prospect information to solicit sales.
• Establish relationships with design professionals, art collectors/buyers, builders, and others to create outside sales leads.
• Communicate with Artists re: exhibitions, contracts, inventory, special opportunities.
• Coordinate with the Education Director for workshops in cooperation with exhibitions
• Work with artists to keep fresh inventory of work
• Secure artist contracts and other information in a timely fashion
• Maintain artist files, including featured show and consignment contracts, bios, inventory, and promotional materials.
• Plan and implement Jewelry Trunk Show and other special sales events.
• Take a lead role with staff and board members to produce the annual gala and art auction.
Storage and Inventory
• Conduct annual inventory at end of fiscal year.
• Keep inventory storage neat and organized
• Maintain up-to-date inventory records.
• Check-in artwork, complete condition report and send to artist.
• Serve on the Exhibitions Committee and Gala & Events Committees.
• Manages the work of a part time gallery associate
• Recruit, train, schedule and supervise volunteer receptionists
• Recruit and train student interns to assist with exhibitions, gallery display, etc.
• Provide detailed schedules and descriptions of exhibitions to the marketing staff in a timely manner for marketing of exhibitions, lectures, etc.
• Provide updated X-cards, artist bios, and the like for public edification
Other duties as assigned
Salary range: $33,000-$35,000
Monthly insurance stipend: $200
Generous vacation time
Discounts on artwork
How to Apply
To apply for this position:
Send a cover letter describing how you can take the LUX to the next level and include salary requirements, work-related resume, and contact information for 3 professional references to:
Jo Ann Emerson
2601 N 48th Street
Lincoln, NE 68504
Or email to: email@example.com
|• Job Title:||Gallery Director|
|• Job Type:||Full-Time Job|
|• Employer:||LUX Center for the Arts|
|• Location:||Lincoln, Nebraska, United States|