Part-Time Job Gallery Attendants – Museum
Title: Gallery Attendant
Location: Contemporary Arts Museum Houston, non-smoking facility
Reports to: Assistant Gallery Supervisor/Gallery Supervisor
Department: Visitor Services
Pay Type: Hourly, Non-Exempt
Work Schedule: To be determined
A Gallery Attendant is a part-time, non-exempt member of the Contemporary Arts Museum Houston’s staff. A critical member of the Museum’s protective staff, the position has as its primary responsibility the safety and security of works of art on view in the Museum. A gallery Attendant represents the Museum to its visitors both assuring the safety and security of works of art and as an occasional relief contact at the Museum’s Visitor Information Desk. A Gallery Attendant shares a flexible schedule with others on the Gallery Attendant staff that is based around the Museum’s regular public hours, including evenings and weekends. A Gallery
Attendant will also be assigned duty during private events that occur outside regular public hours. The uniformed employee has a significant role at the institution and represents the Museum and its mission to the general public.
• Protects works of art from theft, vandalism, and accidental damage.
• Interacts with visitors to give directions, information, and provide general assistance.
• Assures visitor compliance with Museum regulations as listed in the Gallery Attendant Standard Operating Procedures manual.
• Answers general questions from Museum visitors and refers questions concerning works of art or Museum exhibitions to the Visitor Information Desk for referral to appropriate Museum staff.
• When assigned to the information desk, greets and counts visitors; checks all packages and umbrellas.
• Assists the Gallery Supervisor in opening and closing the Museum.
• Assists Gallery Supervisor in managing pantry area.
• Inspects works on view in assigned area at beginning and end of each rotation.
• Assists with other Museum activities as assigned.
Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities:
• Must be able to stand for long periods of time, walk, climb stairs, and lift up to 50 lbs.; (must be able to lift a fire extinguisher or small child).
• Must have good verbal communication skills in order to speak to visitors and be understood.
• Must be tactful and polite in dealing with the public.
• Must be presentable at all times through proper grooming and personal hygiene.
• Must be observant in order to detect and report unusual behavior or circumstances.
• Must be alert and able to respond quickly in an emergency.
• Must be able to work a flexible schedule.
Education and Experience:
• High school graduate.
• Previous customer service experience desired.
Please fill out job application (available online or in person) and email (preferable) to:
Or send job application by mail:
Assistant Gallery Supervisor
Contemporary Arts Museum Houston
5216 Montrose Blvd.
Houston, TX 77006
|• Job Title:||Gallery Attendants – Museum|
|• Job Type:||Part-Time Job|
|• Employer:||Contemporary Arts Museum Houston|
|• Location:||Houston, Texas, United States|