Full-Time Job Galleries Coordinator
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
The University of Dayton, founded in 1850 by the Society of Mary, is a top ten Catholic research university. The University seeks outstanding, diverse faculty and staff who value its mission and share its commitment to academic excellence in teaching, research and artistic creativity, the development of the whole person, and leadership and service in the local and global community.
The Galleries Coordinator works with faculty to support the department’s curricular and developmental needs delivered through several university galleries including Radial Gallery, the Index Gallery, and sites across campus. This position is responsible for managing gallery schedules, coordinating exhibitions, installation and de-installation of exhibits, planning gallery receptions, gallery maintenance (inventory and procurement of installation materials, repair and painting of walls and pedestals), administration of artists’ contracts, packing and shipping of art works, writing and disseminating exhibition publicity (announcements, press releases, mailing lists, photographic documentation, social media and gallery website), hiring and supervision of student workers, and collaboration with faculty curators. The Gallery Coordinator works with the Gallery/Events Committee to promote exhibition opportunities to artists, to develop the annual schedule of exhibits, and to support the educational and diversity mission of the department. In keeping with the University’s dedication to fostering diversity and creativity, our Galleries actively cultivate an appreciation for diversity and alternative perspectives through an interdisciplinary program of exhibitions and visiting practitioners.
Recruit and train student gallery workers, maintain professional contact with exhibitors as well as gallery and alumni mailing lists, produce and coordinate quality exhibition publicity materials, schedule and manage exhibits, receive, store, install and de-install exhibits, pack and ship exhibit materials, maintain/repair gallery facilities, organize gallery receptions, procure installation hardware and materials, coordinate information with department faculty and staff. Develop media and community contacts to further strengthen the profile of the university galleries. Create publicity materials, including photographic and narrative documentation that informs diverse audiences about the university galleries. Enact strategies that build diverse audiences both internal and external to the university. Advise and assist students as they prepare work for installation in satellite spaces across campus and in the community.
This is a full-time (35 hours per week) 12 month position with full benefits.
– BFA or BA in art history, art, art administration, museum studies or art-related discipline.
– Three years-experience in gallery operations including publicity, installation of exhibitions, and professional packing and shipping of artworks.
– Three years-experience coordinating projects and multi-tasking varied responsibilities.
– Demonstrated carpentry skills and problem solving abilities related to general maintenance and repair of gallery walls, shelves and pedestals.
– Demonstrated record of outreach to, and support for, diverse and inclusive exhibitions.
– Excellent organizational and time-management skills.
– Demonstrated ability to attend to details.
– Valid driver’s license with low-risk driving record and ability to be insured by the university
• Gallery management experience.
• Experience working in an academic arts-related setting.
• Experience supporting the arts at a university or college.
• Experience managing student workers.
• Experience with photography, social media and digital archives.
• Ability to model a professional work ethic to students.
• Effective interpersonal skills.
• Effective oral communication skills.
Please apply via direct link: http://jobs.udayton.edu/postings/24795
To attain its Catholic and Marianist mission, the University is committed to the principles of diversity, inclusion and affirmative action and to equal opportunity policies and practices. As an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer we will not discriminate against minorities, females, protected veterans, individuals with disabilities, or on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity.
|• Job Title:||Galleries Coordinator|
|• Job Type:||Full-Time Job|
|• Employer:||University of Dayton|
|• Location:||Dayton, Ohio, United States|