Full-Time Job External Relations Specialist
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world’s most iconic teaching and research institutions. Since 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world. Berkeley’s culture of openness, freedom and acceptance—academic and artistic, political and cultural—make it a very special place for students, faculty and staff.
Berkeley is committed to hiring and developing staff who want to work in a high performing culture that supports the outstanding work of our faculty and students. In deciding whether to apply for a staff position at Berkeley, candidates are strongly encouraged to consider the alignment of the Berkeley Workplace Culture with their potential for success at http://jobs.berkeley.edu/why-berkeley.html.
APPLICATION REVIEW DATE
The First Review Date for this job is: 8/29/2017, thereafter open until filled
The Department of Theater, Dance, and Performance Studies teaches performance as a mode of critical inquiry, creative expression and public engagement. Through performance training and research, we create liberal arts graduates with expanded analytical, technical and imaginative capacities. As a public institution, we make diversity and inclusion a key part of our teaching, art making and public programming.
• Under supervision from the Director of Communications and Development, creates communications and development materials for review, including press releases, profiles, marketing emails, newsletters and annual solicitations. Works on press and community outreach for departmental performances. Helps coordinate activities (including promotional materials and events) designed to promote awareness of the Department and its programs and productions within the campus community and the general public.
• Exercises limited discretion and professional judgment in implementing established components for fundraising and alumni relations programs and activities; or plans, administers, and implements a well-defined or established fundraising program requiring the exercise of limited discretion and judgment. Handles special projects/assignments involving direct interaction with alumni and donors. Helps support departmental events, such as donor events, Fall Undergraduate Welcome, Cal Day, Alumni Panel, and other gatherings.
• Updates department website. Helps maintain departmental records, including archives of promotional materials, photo archives, and alumni database. Reviews general departmental email account and replies or forwards to relevant staff.
• Assists the Director of Communications and Development with developing and implementing comprehensive social media marketing plan. Assists with: planning and maintaining monthly social media calendar, managing and updates departmental social media pages, developing and promoting visual and video content, tracking and analyzing social media performance and makes recommendations.
• Supervises student staff positions (3-4 work study students) in the management and operation of Box Office for Department shows (5-8 annually). Responsible for hiring, training, scheduling and supervision of ticket office staff, which may require on site management of staff during select ticketed TDPS performances (ie: opening nights). Resolves staff personnel problems, and takes disciplinary action in accordance with all applicable policies, procedures, and hiring and firing of student employees. Completes all required paperwork in accordance with applicable university and departmental policies. Compiles reports for managers as required.
• Manages the department’s use of the Arts People ticketing system, including setting up events and pricing, managing lists, handling comp requests, and running reports. In conjunction with TDPS leadership, develops and maintains documentation and training material on Box Office policies and procedures. Monitors box office email and telephone line. Demonstrates excellent customer service skills, responds promptly to customer inquiries and requests, and trains all Box Office personnel in customer service standards. Provides rapid response for critical issues.
• Coordinates with Cal Performances Front of House that are contracted to provide FOH services for all ticketed TDPS productions.
• Ensures general condition of Box Office facility and equipment. Coordinates the ordering and use of materials for Box Office. Prepares deposits. Acts as custodian for petty cash fund for Box Office “bank.” Follows proper cash handling and cash control procedures.
• Excellent writing and editing skills.
• Excellent verbal and interpersonal skills, including tact and political acumen to effectively represent the institution.
• Basic knowledge of the institution, its mission, vision, goals, achievements, policies, and infrastructure.
• Knowledge of basic concepts and principles of building and maintaining effective relations with a variety of constituencies.
• Organizational skills including skill to meet prescribed deadlines.
• Highly developed analytical and critical thinking skills.
• Applicable computer skills (Microsoft Office, In-Design, Photoshop; ability to quickly learn new systems).
• Working knowledge of fundraising, donor relations and public relations concepts, principles, procedures and techniques.
• Ability to maintain confidentiality.
• Bachelors degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training
• Previous event planning experience.
• Video editing skills.
• Background in the arts and/or familiarity with how a box office operates.
SALARY & BENEFITS
$21.70 – $26.34 hourly, commensurate with experience.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying. Apply online: https://jobsprod.is.berkeley.edu/psc/jobsprod/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_CE.GBL?Page=HRS_CE_JOB_DTL&Action=A&JobOpeningId=23724&SiteId=1&PostingSeq=1&
This is a 50% time variable (20 – 30 hours per week) position with full UC benefits.
CONVICTION HISTORY BACKGROUND
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: http://policy.ucop.edu/doc/4000376/NondiscrimAffirmAct
|• Job Title:||External Relations Specialist|
|• Job Type:||Full-Time Job|
|• Employer:||UC Berkeley Department of Theater, Dance, and Performance Studies|
|• Location:||Berkeley, California, United States|