Full-Time Job Executive Director
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
Janesville Performing Arts Center
Job Description: Executive Director
Summary: Janesville Performing Arts Center (JPAC) located in downtown Janesville, WI, provides a professional home venue for 10 local arts groups and serves as a center for community members to become involved in the arts through performances, lectures, gallery exhibits, non-arts public rentals, and educational activities. Recently celebrating its tenth anniversary in 2014, JPAC has hosted over 1,000 events and welcomed more than 225,000 patrons through its doors, becoming a true community center for the Arts.
The Executive Director of the Janesville Performing Arts Center (JPAC) is a vision setting dynamic leader that works closely to implement the strategic plan, Fostering a Creative Community. The position has four main areas of responsibility: operations, strategic communications, fundraising & financial oversight, and programming/audience development. The ED works with and supervises a core staff and volunteer group and serves as the organization’s public spokesperson.
Fundraising and Finance (40%)
• Create budget with staff recommendations and board input. Maintain financial records and be well informed of the organization’s financial status at all times. Assist with the annual financial review or audit. Knowledge of Quickbooks a plus.
• Complete rental settlements in a timely manner and approve all expenditures and deposits.
• Work with the Development Committee to create a fundraising plan to support the center’s goals and maintain and build operating reserve.
• Co-Coordinate key fundraising programs including but not limited to:
o Annual Anniversary Gals Celebration
o Annual Giving Campaign – Arts Angels
o Season Magazine & Annual Sponsorship Plan for Live on Main Street Series
o Other ancillary events as presented
• Maintain accurate donor records.
• Write grant and foundation requests for the center and actively seek new avenues for support.
• Develop strong relationships with current funders and potential donors and foundation leaders.
• Ensure the facility is well maintained by overseeing key maintenance schedule and capital improvement plan and serve as the liaison between JPAC and the owners and tenants of the Marshall Apartments.
• Supervise and support the Technical Director to ensure maintenance plan is maintained and theatre issues are addressed, including maintenance, repair, and replacement schedules, rental agreement violations, and patron safety.
• Supervise and support the Director of Marketing & Operations in establishing and maintaining excellent customer service and ticketing services and participate in recruitment and training of new volunteers.
• Network with other PACs in order to benchmark and learn from other theatres and bring new ideas and improvements to JPAC.
• Serve on important ad-hoc groups such as Janesville Riverwalk Amphitheater Steering Committee.
• Manage personnel and perform annual performance evaluations.
Programming / Creative Content / Outreach (20%)
• Support and assist with the establishment of seasonal calendar working with programming committee, resident groups and other community individuals and organizations:
o Oversee scheduling of auditorium rentals with local arts organizations, local non-arts organizations and others. Proactively manage user relations and help ensure all requirements under the License Agreement and Rider for rentals and ensure all events run as smoothly as possible.
o Work with programming committee to plan and contract arts for upcoming Live on Main Street Season.
• Support the Marketing and Operations Director in working with artist management representatives to effectively negotiate, contract and carry out concert events and be prepared to act as liaison between the JPAC technical director and artist management/production team.
• Review and develop ideas to broaden and strengthen audience reach.
• Supervise and support Ed & Outreach Director in educational and outreach programming goals and ideas
• Identify and pursue partnership opportunities to foster a Creative Community.
Strategic Communications (15%)
• Oversee strategic plan process including development of annual priorities.
• Work with the Marketing and Operations Director to create and implement the marketing plan for the center as well as supporting the Resident Groups individual marketing plans.
• Communicate center’s activities to the board and key stakeholders, provide an orientation for new board members, and identify opportunities for board member involvement.
• Establish ways to measure and monitor JPAC’s ability to Foster a Creative Community.
• Working with the Board President, act as the spokesperson for JPAC and establish opportunities for earned media.
Supervisor: This position reports to the Board of Directors.
Position Hours: 40 hours per week plus meetings and events outside of the regular workday. Early mornings, nights, and weekends are required. Schedule is flexible.
Compensation: Competitive salary in line with experience.
Requirements: Bachelor’s degree in business, marketing, arts administration, or equivalent experience required; Candidates should show success in administration, fundraising, community engagement, special events, experience working with a volunteer board, and outstanding oral and written communication skills. A passion for the arts is essential.
Interested candidates are encouraged to submit a cover letter including salary requirements, resume, and 3 references by March 15th to:
Whiton House Consulting
Email Subject line: JPAC ED Position
|• Job Title:||Executive Director|
|• Job Type:||Full-Time Job|
|• Employer:||Janesville Performing Arts Center|
|• Location:||Janesville, Wisconsin, United States|