Full-Time Job Executive Director
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
Sun Valley Performing Arts; Argyros Performing Arts Center
Sun Valley Performing Arts seeks an Executive Director (ED) who will be an engaging leader and prominent member of a spectacular mountain resort community that is recognized nationally as an arts and culture destination. The ED will prepare to open the new Argyros Performing Arts Center, hire and oversee staff, and work with the board, volunteers, and community while planning inspiring programming for the future.
Sun Valley Performing Arts, a local 501(c)(3) non-profit established in 2001, is building a new, state-of-the-art performing arts center in Ketchum, Idaho, named the Argyros Performing Arts Center after its founding benefactors Julia & George Argyros. This 25,000 square-foot facility is under construction on the old nexStage (former theater) property, opposite the Limelight Hotel, and will include a flexible 450-seat theater, studio/theater, a café and a large outdoor plaza: it is a natural evolution of the nexStage and will be open, spacious, inclusive and a gathering place for the entire community.
The new center will present local, national and international artists, ensembles and events, and will feature a wide variety of programs for everyone including music of all kinds, theater, comedy, dance, speakers, films and educational workshops. Just like the old nexStage, it will also be available for use on a rental basis by other local non-profits, as well as businesses, groups and individuals. The flexible performance and event spaces will enable all manner of small and large productions, events and gatherings year-round: it will be a perfect cultural, educational and social complement to the area’s exceptional outdoor recreational amenities.
Located in South Central Idaho, the Wood River Valley is in Blaine County, at the edge of the Sawtooth and Challis National Forests. Sun Valley has been referred to as “America’s First Destination Ski Resort,” and offers recreational activities galore. Nestled in the spectacular Rocky Mountains, the Sun Valley Resort is one of the great winter ski destinations. Summer offers a multitude of recreational activities and is the time that many cultural events take place including the Sun Valley Summer Symphony. To the north of Ketchum/Sun Valley is the majestic Sawtooth Wilderness Area that boasts over 200,000 acres of natural splendor, with opportunities for swimming, fishing, mountain biking, white-water rafting and more.
With all of these natural amenities and a terrific climate (an average humidity of only 30%) the community attracts an athletic, active population. They are involved and interested in sustaining a healthy, enriched lifestyle. Bright, accomplished professionals and their families typically spend winters and summers in the Valley and many choose to leave metropolitan areas to make this their year-round home. With excellent public and private schools, an abundance of arts, culture, and recreation, this is an ideal place to raise children. The well-educated, well-traveled population demands diverse and exceptional arts and culture programs. Sun Valley Performing Arts will provide those.
In 2013, ArtPlace named Sun Valley one of America’s Top Twelve ArtPlaces—vibrant communities identified as being exceptionally successful in combining the arts, artists, and venues for creativity and expression with independent businesses, restaurants, and a walkable lifestyle. Also, Smithsonian Magazine included Ketchum, Idaho on their third annual list of cultural gems; one of the 20 Best Small Towns to Visit in 2014.
The Executive Director of Sun Valley Performing Arts will be responsible for the overall operation of the organization and facilities of the Argyros Performing Arts Center. The ED will report to the Board of Directors and s/he will hire, oversee and supervise the marketing director, development manager, theater director, controller and administrative assistant. The ED will be both the presenter (selecting, booking and presenting the artists and series for each season) and the chief development officer. S/he will develop and monitor annual operating budgets and collaborate with staff on branding, marketing and promoting the organization and Argyros Performing Arts Center. This spokesperson for the organization will develop effective partnerships with arts and culture groups, the business community, sponsors & donors, full-time and seasonal residents and visitors. The ED will lead the strategic planning process, while expanding and enhancing the organization’s local, regional and national profile and reputation for excellence. S/he will develop and maintain an effective operating model with earned income from a blend of community-based arts organizations, the Argyros Performing Arts Center’s own presenting, concessions, community and business rentals, and contributed income.
In addition to developing the procedures, processes and policies necessary for the successful opening and operating of the new Argyros Performing Arts Center, the ED will be involved in the finishing and opening of the new facility.
• Select, contract and present the best-possible artists and ensembles annually
• Schedule and negotiate contracts with local arts organizations for each season
• Negotiate rental agreements with all other individuals, organizations and
• Assess programming and events to ensure compatibility with mission and goals
• Create and execute an annual development plan designed to maximize contributed
• Identify, cultivate, solicit and steward individual, foundation and corporate donors
• Develop and maintain positive relationships with local, regional and national
• Work with staff and Board members to create a culture of giving throughout the
Governance & Strategic Planning
• Meet and communicate with the board members to make mission-based decisions
on strategic plans, goals and support of the organization
• Partner with the Board of Directors to expand its membership
• Help cultivate and recruit philanthropists, arts enthusiasts and community leaders
• Establish a strong working relationship with the Board of Directors, encouraging all
Directors to participate actively, and facilitate their involvement beyond board meetings
• Lead an ongoing strategic planning process to ensure growth and excellence
Finance & Human Resources
•Work with staff, Finance Committee and Board of Directors to prepare and adopt
the annual budget and development plan
• Monitor budget versus actuals monthly and oversee controller’s preparation of
monthly and quarterly reports
• Oversee an annual review and audit of the financial statements and completion of
the 990 report
• Develop and review position descriptions and annual performance reviews for all
• Work with appropriate staff to recruit, interview, hire, mentor and evaluate staff
• Establish and maintain a climate and culture that attracts, keeps, motivates and
rewards professional staff
• Ensure that sound human resource policies, procedures and practices are ongoing
Marketing, Communications & Sales
• Work with staff to effectively market and promote the programs and events
• Build and enhance the brand and identity of the organization and facility
• Ensure that the messaging developed from the mission and strategic plan are
reinforced through internal and external communications
• Represent the organization at community events, gatherings and local, regional and national conferences
• Determine pricing, ticketing and sales policies and procedures
• Bachelor’s degree required and advanced degree preferred
• Minimum of 5-10 years experience as a director of a performing arts presenting or producing organization
• Longstanding relationships with diverse artists, agents, managers and presenters
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills: a dynamic public presence and
a compelling speaker and storyteller
• Extensive history of having worked with staff and Boards to achieve and exceed
fundraising goals through individual, foundation, business and government sources
• Strong organizational and collaboration skills and the ability to develop and
maintain excellent relationships with colleagues, donors, volunteers and audience
Compensation & Benefits
A significant salary, based on experience & expertise and a comprehensive benefits package will be provided. Relocation assistance, if needed, is available.
Please email a thoughtful cover letter and resume to the attention of Greg Phillips of CSTAR Development to firstname.lastname@example.org
Sun Valley Center Performing Arts is an equal opportunity employer.
|• Job Title:||Executive Director|
|• Job Type:||Full-Time Job|
|• Employer:||Sun Valley Performing Arts|
|• Location:||Ketchum, Idaho, United States|