Full-Time Job Director of Development
Opera House Arts, a non-profit theatre with an annual operating budget of $650,000, seeks qualified and passionate applicants for the position of Director of Development.
Opera House Arts’ high quality, original, professional performance programs serve all of Hancock County’s winter and summer residents and visitors, of all ages, with special emphasis on the residents and students of Deer Isle and the Blue Hill Peninsula. We offer a full year-round schedule of professional theatre, film, educational programs, digital media, concerts, and community events.
OHA is a unique organization. Many of our audiences know us as a professional theatre presenting plays, concerts and family programming in the summer – and indeed we are that, but we are also so much more. As soon as the calendar turns the page from August to September, we dive back into the other half of our identity: as a civic gathering space rooted in the belief that access to and participation in the arts offer transformational potential.
The Director of Development will develop and execute strategies for the cultivation and stewardship of individual donors at all levels, taking a lead on strategy and implementation for major gifts; participate directly in solicitations with members of Board fundraising committee. S/he will develop annual funding and cultivation plans for foundation, corporate and government donors, identifying new potential candidates for support, and evaluating how best to position prospective funders. S/he will also play an integral role in planning benefit events such as the Annual Gala and donor cultivation events, and work closely with Gala event chairs and committee to increase revenue from these events.
The ideal candidate will have a Bachelor’s degree and a 5-7 years of direct fundraising experience, excellent writing and interpersonal skills, ability to effectively multi-task, be self-motivated and eager to take initiative and have a passion for Opera House Arts’ mission.
Send resume and cover letter with salary requirements to email@example.com
No calls please. Opera House Arts is an equal opportunity employer.
– Compose, manage and track all funding proposals and grant applications, as well as final reports to funders, to obtain government, corporate and foundation support for the theatre’s activities and programs.
– Cultivate and maintain relationships (through direct contact including letters, proposals, phone solicitation, and personal visits) with government, corporate, foundation, and individual donors, in order to increase contributed income among these sectors.
– Represent Opera House Arts in the community, through attendance at local and regional cultural programs, lobbying and networking with elected officials, and coordinating development communications and advertising with Producing Artistic Director.
– In conjunction with the Producing Artistic Director, cultivate and steward the Board of Directors, ensuring that the Board is involved in major discussions affecting the theatre and informed of the organization’s development, so that there is a body that guarantees oversight and advocacy.
– Coordinate annual fund through two annual drives, and one annual report mailing;
– Manage development data through OHA’s donor database, including report generation; gift acknowledgement; audit data preparation; and donor analysis;
– Collaborate with OHA management team to budget, coordinate, and execute special events – including annual gala, major donor party, and opening nights;
– Coordinate capital and other special campaigns;
– Assist OHA Board members and staff as requested.
– Bachelors’ Degree required.
– At least five years of fundraising/development experience working directly with donors required.
– Proven ability to successfully solicit financial support from corporations and foundations, or outside sales skill, is required.
– A background in theatre and/or arts education is highly desirable.
– Computer literacy required; knowledge of donor databases desired.
– Some evening and weekend work required.
– Driver’s License required
|• Job Title:||Director of Development|
|• Job Type:||Full-Time Job|
|• Employer:||Opera House Arts|
|• Location:||Stonington, Maine, United States|