Full-Time Job Director of Communications
Job Title: Director of Communications
Reports to: SVP & COO
Status: Exempt, Full-Time job
The Director of Communications will develop a world-class communications plan for the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra, directly managing communications activities that promote, enhance, and protect the organization’s brand and products.
This position will be responsible for the development, integration, and implementation of a broad range of public relations activities relative to the strategic direction and positioning of the organization and its leadership.
As ambassador for the organization, the Director of Communications will advance the organization’s position locally, regionally, nationally and internationally.
• Develop and implement a communications plan to advance the PSO’s brand identity; broaden awareness of its priorities, mission, and vision; and increase the visibility of its programs locally, regionally, nationally and internationally;
• Design content strategies for PSO social media platforms and assets including video production, graphic design, copywriting and editing, and photography;
• Work with all departments and in close cooperation with the Digital Marketing Manager to design and implement social media strategy to increase awareness of the PSO’s concerts, programs, and initiatives, and enhance brand awareness;
• Act as principal interdepartmental liaison to facilitate communication flow and ensure brand consistency;
• Develop community and media partnerships that enhance and grow public awareness and increase potential touch points of the PSO;
• Coordinate all guest artist, musician, and Music Director interviews for live radio broadcasts, pre-concert videos, promotional videos, and miscellaneous projects;
• Coordinate and facilitate media interest in the PSO’s concerts, events, and programs, and ensure regular contact with target media and appropriate response to media requests;
• Organize and manage all interviews and public appearances for senior leadership, Board Chair, Music Director, musicians, and guest artists; coach and provide talking points/key materials as needed;
• Actively participate in creating talking points, collateral, and messaging for Board Meetings and Retreats, and serve as communications liaison in that capacity;
• Attend Orchestra Committee meetings and serve as communications liaison with Musicians of the PSO;
• Deliver status reports to the Board of Trustees and various committees; present critical communications matters at select Board meetings as required
• Actively engage, cultivate, and manage press relationships to ensure coverage surrounding the PSO’s core products, community projects, special events, and public announcements;
• Write and distribute all organizational press releases and public statements for core PSO products, community news, foundation giving, individual giving, financial updates, collective bargaining updates, and institutional progress;
• Work with Marketing Department on creating and aligning content and editing program books, inserts, and letters;
• Work closely with international contacts to ensure optimal international media coverage surrounding the Music Director and the PSO’s international tours;
• Serve as spokesperson and lead point person on media interactions and crisis mitigation;
• Manage the departmental budget.
Necessary skills, experience, and qualifications:
• Demonstrated experience and leadership in managing comprehensive strategic communications that advance an organization’s mission and goals;
• Bachelor’s degree required; Communications, Journalism, Public Relations or related field preferred, and/or eight to 10 years’ communications or public relations experience. Master’s Degree a plus;
• Ability to develop, direct, and manage strategic communications plans and programs;
• Excellent editorial, written, and verbal capabilities, including clear, concise and creative writing skills and ability to line edit with a critical eye for detail;
• Video and Content Production;
• Proficient in MS Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint, Social Media Platforms and Features, and at least a working knowledge of Web Development and Apps;
• Highly self-motivated and able to prioritize multiple projects with a high level of energy.
• Comfortable working independently and taking on multiple roles and responsibilities within the department.
Desirable skills, experience, and qualifications:
• Previous work in a non-profit setting
• Knowledge of Promotion, Marketing, and Branding tactics
• Proficient in Basecamp, Tessitura, and OPAS
• Background or personal experience working in the Performing Arts, and/or knowledge of the Performing Arts or Entertainment Industries
• Knowledge of Search Engine Optimization and Key Words
• Special Event Production
• Project Management
HOW TO APPLY:
To apply, please reference this listing and send a cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
|• Job Title:||Director of Communications|
|• Job Type:||Full-Time Job|
|• Employer:||Pittsburgh Symphony|
|• Location:||Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States|