Part-Time Job Director of Acting, Maryland Opera Studio (MOS)
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
The Voice/Opera Division of the University of Maryland School of Music seeks a stage director to serve as Director of Acting for the Maryland Opera Studio. As a key member of the MOS faculty, the Director of Acting will work collaboratively within the School of Music, and help to lead the acting curriculum. The successful candidate will actively create an educational environment that teaches skills and fosters curiosity for the changing landscape of today’s opera world while acknowledging the standards and expectations that remain constant for success in the field. Outside freelance engagements are possible to maintain with this position.
The Director of Acting will:
1) oversee the acting curriculum with Director of the MOS,
2) direct at least one full opera production each academic year,
3) oversee the MOS opera scenes program and direct a select number of scenes,
4) work with the creative team as part of the annual Opera Composition Contest,
5) direct the annual New Work Commission in a semi-staged reading,
6) teach classes specific to his/her areas of expertise,
7) provide guidance and work collaboratively with MFA Design Students who are working on MOS productions,
8) attend production meetings related to MOS productions,
9) attend auditions for MOS applicants,
10) provide feedback to the marketing team and assist with writing for programs and online content.
The School of Music seeks a stage director with substantial experience in a variety of settings with a wide variety of repertoire. A thorough knowledge of the operatic repertoire appropriate for emerging artists is crucial. Experience with professional companies at a number of regional and national levels, including young artist programs, is ideal.
Because broad diversity is essential to an inclusive climate and critical to the University and School of Music’s goals of achieving excellence in all areas, we will holistically assess the many qualifications of each applicant and favorably consider an individual’s record working with students and colleagues with broadly diverse perspectives, experiences, and backgrounds in educational, research or other work activities. Candidates with experience working with women and underrepresented groups through teaching, mentoring, research, or administration are encouraged to identify their experience in these areas.
For best consideration, please apply by February 5, 2018.
Applications should consist of a cover letter, a curriculum vitae/resume, and the names of at least three references with accompanying current contact information, including address, telephone, and e-mail. All applications must be submitted by email to: Heather Mundwiler, Assistant to the Director, firstname.lastname@example.org
Please use the subject line “MOS Director of Acting Search” for this message.
Attachments in PDF format should be used for the cover letter, cv/resume, and references.
|• Job Title:||Director of Acting, Maryland Opera Studio (MOS)|
|• Job Type:||Part-Time Job|
|• Employer:||University of Maryland School of Music|
|• Location:||College Park, Maryland, United States|