Full-Time Dean of the College of Fine and Applied Arts
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
Appalachian State University
Dean of the College of Fine and Applied Arts
Appalachian State University invites nominations and applications for the position of Dean of the College of Fine and Applied Arts.
The University, located in the town of Boone in the scenic Blue Ridge Mountains, is a constituent institution of the 17-campus University of North Carolina system. Appalachian is a longstanding regional leader whose outstanding academic reputation, significant growth, community engagement, and commitment to sustainability have in the past decade propelled the university onto the international stage. Appalachian State offers more than 185 undergraduate and graduate majors and has a student body exceeding 18,000 students representing 52 countries. U.S. News & World Report ranks Appalachian State among the top 10 regional universities in the South.
The Dean serves as the academic leader of the College of Fine and Applied Arts and its seven academic departments—Applied Design, Art, Communication, Military Science and Leadership, Sustainable Development, Sustainable Technology and the Built Environment, and Theatre and Dance. The College includes 2,700 undergraduate and graduate students, 200 faculty and staff, and nearly 11,000 alumni from all over the country. The Dean reports directly to the Provost as a member of the Deans Council, which includes leaders from the Reich College of Education, the College of Arts and Sciences, the Walker College of Business, the Hayes School of Music, the Beaver College of Health Sciences, and the Belk Library and Information Commons.
The Dean will provide outstanding leadership in realizing the vision and achieving the academic goals of the College; oversee strategic directions, personnel, curricula, and budgets for the College; support integrated strategic planning and institutional effectiveness initiatives; and collaborate with other members of the Academic Affairs team in achieving University objectives.
The specific requirements for the position include the following:
• earned terminal degree, including MFA and MID, in a field represented in the College;
• distinguished record of scholarship/creative activity and teaching, and eligibility for a tenured appointment at the rank of full professor;
• successful administrative experience in higher education; and
• successful leadership experience in higher education.
Preference will be accorded to candidates who demonstrate the following experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities:
• knowledge of the disciplines and programs that comprise the College of Fine and Applied Arts;
• evidence of promoting a diverse and inclusive environment for students, faculty, and staff;
• commitment to support of disciplinary and interdisciplinary environments and curricula that lead to student success, and the ability to lead faculty and staff in creating transformational educational experiences for students;
• commitment to support of faculty development, including research and creative activity;
• exceptional interpersonal communication skills and the ability to interact effectively, decisively, and transparently with academic leadership, faculty, students, staff, donors, and other stakeholders important to the College;
• innovative vision and managerial skills to protect, nurture, and enhance increasingly rigorous and superior-quality academic programs amid current budget challenges;
• demonstrated success with strategic planning;
• demonstrated fundraising experience; and
• dynamic team-building and leadership skills with evidence of deep appreciation of, and support for, shared governance.
Confidential applications and nominations will be accepted until the position is filled. For best consideration, applications and nominations should be provided by February 22, 2016, when candidate screening will begin.
A complete application will include a letter describing relevant experiences and interest in the position; current curriculum vitae; and the names of five references with titles, mailing addresses, best telephone number, and email addresses. These materials should be submitted to the ASU application portal at https://appstate.peopleadmin.com/postings/9651
Individuals who wish to nominate a candidate should submit a letter of nomination, including the name, position, address, telephone number, and email address of the nominee to Greenwood/Asher & Associates, an executive search firm, which is assisting ASU in this search.
Inquiries and nominations should be submitted to:
Jan Greenwood or Betty Turner Asher, Partners
Sharon A. McDade, Principal & Senior Executive Leadership Consultant
Greenwood/Asher & Associates, Inc.
42 Business Centre Drive, Suite 206 Miramar Beach, Florida 32550 Phone: 850-650-2277 / Fax: 850-650-2272
Appalachian State University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. The University does not discriminate in access to its educational programs and activities, or with respect to hiring or the terms and conditions of employment, on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity and expression, political affiliation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information or sexual orientation.
Individuals with disabilities desiring accommodations in the application process should contact Dr. Sharon A. McDade at email@example.com
Proper documentation of identity and employability will be required before the hiring process can be finalized.
Any offer of employment to a successful candidate will be conditioned upon the University’s receipt of a satisfactory criminal background report.
|• Job Title:||Dean of the College of Fine and Applied Arts|
|• Job Type:||Full-Time Job|
|• Employer:||Appalachian State University|
|• Location:||Boone, North Carolina, United States|
Apply for this Job