Full-Time Job Costume Shop Manager
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
The Pittsburgh Opera presents four mainstage and two resident artist productions each season.
The Costume Shop Manager is responsible for managing the Costume Shop, which includes the areas of costumes, wigs and make-up. This position is responsible for overseeing all day to day shop activities, including personnel, equipment, supplies, inventory, workroom and costume storage areas, and local costume rentals. The Costume Shop Manager maintains the costume department in the off season, keeping records current and staying informed of new methods and industry standards while preparing paperwork for the upcoming season. The Costume Shop Manager works under the Director of Production to establish and maintain expense budgets.
Duties will include, but are not limited to:
• Analyzes and implements costume aspects of all Pittsburgh Opera productions and events
• Oversees construction and alteration of all costumes, including builds and rentals
• Prepare projections of time, materials, and equipment required for each production
• Supervises union costume staff and union wardrobe supervisor
• Administers union contract
• Enforces opera policies, procedures, and work rules
• Oversees maintenance of shop equipment and costume stock
• Works with the Director of Production to prepare budgets and forecasts for all costume and wardrobe aspects of productions, including labor
• Coordinates and attends all fittings to maintain consistency and construction standards
• Manages day to day expenses of costume shop
• Communicates with Production Stage Manager regarding fittings, rehearsal needs, and performer requests
• Collaborates with director, designer, and stage management to develop and update costume plot, dressing lists, and other shop paperwork
• Attends management meetings
• Participates in union negotiations
• Attends all dress rehearsals
• Sets calls with union
• Works directly with Costume Designers to balance budget necessities and design integrity
• Advises Production Stage Manager on backstage layout and coordinates all backstage costume activities
• Creates “bible” for each production with financial, artistic, and technical information
• Maintains a positive and communicative atmosphere in the workroom and mediates any conflicts among personnel or with designers
• Coordinates shopping for all locally purchased production specific costume items, as needed
• Manages production costume rentals in collaboration with the Director of Production
• Manages all local and individual small costume rentals and borrowing
• Extensive knowledge of costume history, costume design, costume construction techniques, and fabric required
• Knowledge of art history and opera literature and traditions a plus
• 3-5 years experience managing a costume shop of at least 4 employees preferred
• Has established relationships with designers
• Budgetary experience necessary
• Strong verbal, quantitative, and organizational skills
• Ability to work with artists and designers, anticipating the needs of each while balancing the workroom’s ability to complete the work on schedule
• Strong personnel management skills required
• Flexible, focused, and well organized team player
• Ability to work quickly and accurately with attention to detail
• Demonstrates proficiency in computer internet research
• Demonstrates proficiency in Word, Excel, and Calendar
• Ability to prioritize and multi-task
• Must be able to work nights and weekends, as required
• Must be able to climb stairs and step ladders
• Must have the ability to occasionally lift and carry up to 50 lbs.
• Must be able to tolerate exposure to common laundry chemicals
• Must be able to twist, turn, bend, and reach, and work overhead
• Must be able to push and pull heavy objects
• Experience with union crews preferred
Salary and Benefits:
• The position is full-time exempt. Salary is commensurate with experience and demonstrated skills.
• Benefits include medical, and vision; paid vacation and holidays.
The Pittsburgh Opera is a tax exempt 501(c)(3) organization and is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Please respond by email only to Kristin Gatch at firstname.lastname@example.org
Your application package should include a cover letter providing your salary requirements/expectations and resume
|• Job Title:||Costume Shop Manager|
|• Job Type:||Full-Time Job|
|• Employer:||Pittsburgh Opera|
|• Location:||Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States|