Full-Time Job Community Opus Program Manager
• Reports to: Deputy Director
• Supervises: Opus Co
• Reports to: Deputy Director
• Supervises: Opus Coordinator, Community Program Assistants, and Teaching Artists
The San Diego Youth Symphony and Conservatory (SDYS)’s mission is to instill excellence in the musical and personal development of students through rigorous and inspiring musical training experiences. It does this through both its Conservatory Program and Community Program.
Since 2010, SDYS has been committed to making music education accessible and affordable for all. Because of SDYS’ vision and passion, and through our partnership with the Chula Vista Elementary School District (CVESD), in just five years, 46 schools (and 29,000 students) went from having no employed credentialed arts teachers to now providing every school with at least one arts class to every student every week.
The Community Opus Program Manager is responsible for overseeing the Community Opus Project in Chula Vista, which currently serves approximately 350 students and families. Musicians are enrolled in introductory (Esperanza), beginner (Alegria), advanced beginner (Festejo) and intermediate (OHO) string and wind ensembles. He/she is responsible for promoting high standards for the programs and instruction. The Community Opus Program Manager collaborates and communicates with the Community Program team, school principals and teachers from CVESD, families, and the Conservatory Program team to fulfill these responsibilities:
• Identify and propose program expansions and lead the strategic design to meet community needs and advance SDYS’ vision.
• Oversee creation and implementation of curriculum and instructional plans by the Teaching Artist faculty for weekly instruction and intensive camps.
• Provide managerial leadership of the Community Opus Project to achieve student musician learning goals, manage Community Opus Project budget, select performance opportunities, and assess efforts.
• Supervise and support the Opus Coordinator, Program Assistants, and strings and winds Teaching Artists; provide appropriate professional development to team.
• Collaborate with the Instrument Librarian and Production and Operations Manager to ensure a smooth and successful instrument distribution and retrieval process.
• Develop and oversee workshops for parents and/or students, student mentoring program, and chamber music program.
• Ensure strong parent engagement practices are embedded in all aspects of community programs.
Community Partnerships & Relations
• Serve as Community Opus Project liaison to Chula Vista Elementary School District officials.
• Build and maintain strong relationships with CVESD in-school music teachers, site leaders, classroom teachers, and partners.
Internal Coordination and Collaboration
• Communicate with all staff to ensure continuity of programs, attend meetings, and provide content to other departments.
• Work closely with the Deputy Director to hire teaching artists as well as engage coaches, clinicians and guest artists for the Community Opus Project.
Other duties as assigned.
• Knowledge of and experience as an instrumental musician
• 3+ years of program management experience preferred
• 2+ years music classroom teaching experience preferred
• Experience supervising and coaching employees
• Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s degree or teaching credential preferred
• Bilingual in Spanish preferred
• Passion to change the world for the better through music education
• Culturally sensitive
• Role model to students as a musician and citizen
• Organized with attention to details and big-picture vision
• Aptitude for problem solving and flexibility when situations change
• Effective communication in person, over the phone, by email, and through other means.
• Ability to connect with a passionate team dedicated to making music education accessible and affordable for all youth.
How to apply:
Does this sound like you? If so, please email your resume and a thoughtful cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Anticipated start date is July 3, 2017.
|• Job Title:||Community Opus Program Manager|
|• Job Type:||Full-Time Job|
|• Employer:||San Diego Youth Symphony and Conservatory|
|• Location:||San Diego, California, United States|