Full-Time Job Community Engagement Manager
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
Sunset Center Job Description
• Job Title: Community Engagement Manager
• Department: Community Engagement
• Reports to: Executive Director
• Job Type: Full-time (1.0 FTE), exempt
Sunset Cultural Center, Inc. (SCC) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit corporation that was formed in October of 2003 to manage the historic Sunset Center. What began as a public school in 1926 has been transformed into a state-of-the-art performing arts center with an intimate 718 seats, stunning gothic architecture, and incredible acoustics. Under the mantle of Sunset Presents, we present a wide range of truly world-class performances and live events including global music, comedy, rock shows, theatre, and dance. We pride ourselves on programming a lineup with diversity, sophistication, and star-power.
Sunset Center undertakes three programs to inject the arts into schools throughout Monterey County. Two new initiatives, Turnaround Arts: California and Partners in Education, combined with our long-standing signature program Classroom Connections have elevated our commitment to providing arts education for local youth. In addition, Sunset Center’s free community series and pre- and post- Sunset Presents performance events offer many ways for our patrons to engage with the arts.
POSITION DESCRIPTION AND PURPOSE
The Community Engagement Manager will develop, strengthen, and maintain collaborative and strategic relationships within the various diverse communities that participate in Sunset Center’s Arts-in-Education programs and community engagement activities, including students and families, schools, business partners, and other local populations. The Community Engagement Manager will coordinate with the Executive, Development, Marketing, and Box Office Departments to maximize engagement and audience development efforts.
The purpose of this position is to support the recent growth of Sunset Center’s Arts-in-Education programs; program and execute community series and audience deepening activities such as master classes, workshops and lectures; and build deep connections with nonprofit organizations and community groups, new audiences, and the local business community to foster a strong and reciprocal bond between Sunset Center and surrounding populations. This individual will enthusiastically liaise with multiple interest groups, positively representing Sunset Center in the community and establishing relationships with untapped audiences and diverse stakeholders.
Applicants from underrepresented populations are encouraged to apply, and Spanish/English bilingual ability is strongly preferred.
The Community Engagement Manager will have responsibilities including the following:
Arts Education and Programming:
• Manage logistics and facilitate strategic growth of Classroom Connections program: create standards-based curriculum and deliver to K-8 classrooms; create complex schedules and accompany Sunset Center artists to schools; and conduct post-program evaluations
• Work with local school leaders to program and facilitate a series of arts integration professional development workshops for primary-level classroom teachers for the Partners in Education program, an initiative of the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts
• Serve as a Regional Coach for two local schools to deliver arts integration resources and strategies via Turnaround Arts: California. Turnaround Arts: California is a nonprofit organization established to administer Turnaround Arts, a signature program of the President’s Committee on the Arts and the Humanities, in the State of California
• Work closely with the Development Department to draft grant requests and implement acknowledgement and reporting needs for granting organizations
• Program Sunset Center’s free event series (Jazz at Lincoln Center live web stream series, Healing Arts Series) and generate new programming possibilities both on- and offsite
• Program, market, and facilitate pre- and post-Sunset Presents audience deepening activities such as master classes, workshops, lectures, parties, and more
• Facilitate all administrative functions including planning and managing program budget
• With a focus on diversifying Sunset Center’s audience base and specifically targeting underserved communities, seek input from community leaders to strategize new avenues for productive and authentic engagement between Sunset Center and constituencies throughout Monterey County
• Conduct regular audience surveys, focus groups, stakeholder interviews, and other methods to solicit community feedback
• Work with Sunset Center Box Office staff to strengthen existing Student and Active Military Rush Ticket Sales program, Group Sales program, and Ticket Donation program
• Work with Marketing Department to strengthen grassroots and guerilla marketing strategies
• Work with Marketing Department to bolster relationships with local media to increase visibility of Sunset Center’s community engagement activities
• Regularly attend local business and government meetings where appropriate such as Monterey County Convention & Visitors Bureau, Monterey Peninsula Chamber of Commerce, Carmel Chamber of Commerce, Arts Council for Monterey County, and the City of Carmel-by-the-Sea City Hall
• In coordination with the Executive Director, develop the position’s operating structure and goals and work to achieve sustainable and measurable outcomes
The Community Engagement Manager will possess the following attributes and/or abilities:
• Bilingual Spanish/English strongly preferred
• Personal commitment to cultural equity in and through the arts
• Demonstrated cross-cultural competencies
• Bachelor’s degree in education, nonprofit administration, social work, or similar field; Master’s degree a plus
• K-8 teaching and/or school administration experience; experience with state and national education standards and curriculum design desired
• Three + years experience in community organizing or education in an arts, social justice, social services, or youth organization
• Strong leadership skills and experience supervising staff or volunteers
• Comfortable presenting to community leaders and organizations and serving as a friendly, open, and passionate advocate for Sunset Center
• Ability to work collaboratively with other experienced professionals including school principals, assistant principals, teachers, and other school administrators
• Professional or personal background in the arts
• Existing ties to Monterey County community organizations (such as social service nonprofits, volunteer service clubs, business associations, youth groups, and worship communities); and local minority populations (racial and ethnic minorities, immigrant communities, LBTQ+, millennials and youth, individuals with disabilities, veterans, etc)
• Commitment to grassroots community work with an eye for the big picture
• Grant or academic writing experience
• Exceptional communication and people skills, including: follow-through, trustworthiness, diligence and patience when working with a variety of personality types, and a sense of urgency and respect for the work
• Strong orientation to detail and exemplary time management skills
• Sense of humor and positive attitude
• Hold a valid California driver’s license, vehicle insurance, and an operating vehicle
• Comfortable traveling throughout Monterey County as part of regular work week, and traveling throughout state and out-of-state several times per year
• Some evening and weekend hours required.
Salary range is $50-55K, plus a range of benefits.
To apply, please send your resume, cover letter, and three current professional references (references will not be contacted until the final stage of hiring) who can speak to your ability to build community in a single PDF document to Alex Richardson at firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, May 19, 2017 at 5PM.
Applications that do not follow this format will not be considered.
Thank you for your interest!
**Sunset Cultural Center, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer, and is committed to a diverse and harmonious workplace. We extend our thanks and appreciation to all applicants for their expressed interest in working at SCC and will contact those selected for an interview.
|• Job Title:||Community Engagement Manager|
|• Job Type:||Full-Time Job|
|• Employer:||Sunset Cultural Center, Inc.|
|• Location:||Carmel-by-the-Sea, California, United States|