Full-Time Job Communications Assistant
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
Reports to: Director of Communications and Marketing
Department: Communications and Marketing
The Communications Assistant is a full-time, exempt position at the Contemporary Arts Museum
Houston in the Communications and Marketing Department. The position works closely with the
Director of Communications and Marketing to provide local, regional, and international audiences
with accurate and appropriate information about Museum exhibitions and activities. The
Communications Assistant is instrumental in maintaining and developing CAMH’s social media
presence and press database. Those who apply should be prepared to initiate and complete
innovative concepts across all channels of communication.
Principle Duties and Responsibilities
Social Media and CAMH.ORG
• Manage and update content for website and microsites (Facebook, Twitter, YouTube,
Instagram, Tumblr, Artsy, SoundCloud, Snapchat, LinkedIn).
• Occasionally stream public events on Facebook Live.
• Monitor Yelp, TripAdvisor, Facebook, and Google reviews and respond when necessary.
• Collaborate with the Museum’s Videographer to create high-quality content for all of the
CAMH’s social media channels and weekly e-newsletters.
• Photography for social media and website as needed.
• Develop strategy and grow engagement through Museum’s social media channels.
• Keep abreast of digital trends and suggest those appropriate for the Museum.
• Collaborate with internal stakeholders on marketing and communications efforts to
generate original content for social media outlets and a weekly e-newsletter.
Marketing and PR
• Serve as the first point of contact for members of the press.
• Prepare a press kit for each exhibition.
• Answer press requests for exhibition and public program images and information
• Maintain and update CAMH’s press database on a routine basis.
• Provide research assistance to identify and coordinate outreach opportunities with local,
national, and international outlets.
• Collaborate with the Director of Communications and Marketing to develop, organize, and
distribute marketing materials.
• Traffic press images and field general external press image requests.
• Coordinate fact checking between press, artists, and CAMH’s Curatorial Department, as
• Support advertising placements on social media channels and with print and digital media.
• Monitor digital ad performance and suggest adjustments when necessary.
• Maintain the press archives.
• Scan, format, file, and distribute press clips, including print and web to staff, the museum
board, peer museums, galleries, and artists, as requested.
• Organize and upload press clips to the Museum server.
• Set up and review artist and Museum Google alerts and Vocus News alerts.
• Assist Director’s Office and Community Engagement teams with press highlight packages
for artists and exhibitions to be used in various board and staff presentations.
• Attend and participate in museum programs and events.
Skills and Qualifications
• Bachelor’s degree in related area of study (e.g. fine arts, visual arts, art history,
communications, marketing, etc.).
• 1-3 years in project management, content creation, or public relations in a non-profit or
• Understanding of and passion for contemporary art.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills; ability to communicate effectively and
project a professional image when giving and taking information in writing, in person, and
over the phone.
• Working knowledge of social media platforms (especially Facebook, Instagram, and
Twitter) and new digital trends.
• Exceptional time management, project management and organizational skills.
• Excellent attention to detail, creative thinker, and ability to problem solve.
• Preferred computer skills: Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, PowerPoint, Excel),
Apple’s Keynote and Pages, Adobe products (Illustrator, InDesign, and Photoshop),
Content Management Systems (Hootsuite, Constant Contact, Vocus/PR Web), WordPress,
and basic HTML.
• Ability to work flexible hours, including evenings and occasional weekends.
• Sense of humor, flexibility, and capability to work as part of a diverse team in a creative
How to apply
Candidates should send cover letter, resume, and two writing samples with “Communications
Assistant” listed in the e-mail subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org
No calls or walk-ins please.
CAMH is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
|• Job Title:||Communications Assistant|
|• Job Type:||Full-Time Job|
|• Employer:||Contemporary Arts Museum Houston|
|• Location:||Houston, Texas, United States|