Full-Time Co-Director of Technical Theatre
The Kinkaid School is seeking a uniquely talented educator to become the Co-Director of Technical Theatre at the start of the 2018 school year.
The Kinkaid School is a co-educational non-sectarian day school enrolling 1,400 students in pre-kindergarten through twelfth grade. Located on a sixty-five-acre campus in the heart of Houston, Texas, the school offers a thriving intellectual community in the midst of a vibrant, urban, diverse culture.
The Visual and Performing Arts program benefits from outstanding resources including a 773-seat auditorium, a black box theatre, a dance studio, costume shops and many classrooms and rehearsal spaces. Talented students and generous production budgets allow the School to mount an ambitious season of plays, musicals, dance performances, and concerts each year. The Theatre program currently mounts seven productions each academic year (2 major musicals, 2 major plays, 2 Theatre for Young Audiences productions, and an evening of student-directed one-acts). The full-time Theatre staff includes three theatre teachers, two technical theatre directors, and a costumer.
We are seeking a dynamic, innovative theatre professional with a passion for working with students in an educational environment. The responsibilities of Technical Director include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Teach Technical Theatre electives to students in grades 7th through 12th
• Serve as Scenic Designer
• Serve as Sound Designer
• Serve as Master Carpenter constructing scenery and properties, engineering designer drawings, and working with various materials
• Serve as Lighting Designer for selected productions (non-musical, musical and dance). Familiarity with Vectorworks or ACAD software and knowledgeable of various types of control/dimmer systems as well as direct power/DMX systems
• Serve as Production Manager including working with vendors, coordinating production schedules, and overseeing students, staff, and volunteers
• Provide technical support and supervision for assemblies and special events held in performing arts venues
• Maintain regular school hours (evening and weekend hours are also required)
A Bachelor’s Degree (MA, MFA) or equivalent professional experience in Technical Theatre.
A minimum of 2 years of teaching experience in Technical Theatre, preference will be given to candidates with experience teaching middle-school age children.
• The ability to climb ladders, work at heights and exert heavy physical effort
• Collegial and committed to collaborating with members of the Fine Arts Department
• Exemplifies Kinkaid’s four core values (honesty, responsibility, respect, and kindness) in interactions with all members of the community
• Interest in and commitment to being a full member of the Kinkaid community
The Kinkaid School provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics.
In addition to federal law, The Kinkaid School complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment.
To apply visit www.kinkaid.org/employment
Please Share the Co-Director of Technical Theatre job: