Full-Time Job Assistant/Associate Professor of Dance, Tenure Track
The Department of Dance has a strong ballet focus within a liberal arts education and offers BFA, BA and BS degrees in performance, pedagogy and arts administration/dance, with major emphasis on performing and the training of highly competitive dancers. The program is also committed to providing a strong background in teaching and choreography. The Department of Dance is an accredited institutional member of the National Association of Schools of Dance.
• Primary responsibilities include teaching undergraduate dance courses in both studio and academic disciplines; expertise in three or more of the following areas is expected: Dance History, Anatomy, Kinesiology, Ballet Technique (all levels), Choreography, or Pedagogy.
• Choreographing for Butler Ballet, the student performance ensemble, is also expected, as is attendance at casting meetings, rehearsals and performances.
• Academic advising, student mentoring, committee participation, and community service are expected of the successful candidate.
• Continuing excellence in teaching, service, and scholarly activity is expected to qualify for reappointment, tenure, and promotion
• MFA or MA degree in dance; MFA preferred
• Strong evidence of professional performance career
• Evidence of scholastic excellence
• Demonstrated interest/experience in three or more of the dance subjects stated above.
• At least three years of university or professional teaching experience.
• The successful candidate will demonstrate classical ballet as a first language and will possess an affinity for contemporary practices of the discipline.
• Choreographic experience in classical ballet repertoire and a desire to create new contemporary work with a foundation in classical technique.
Experience working with diverse populations of students, faculty, and staff is valued.
Applicants must submit:
• Cover Letter
• Current Curriculum Vitae
• Link to example of choreographic work
• Three (3) current letters of recommendation
• List of three (3) to five (5) references
Please send completed application materials as a single PDF scan to: Marie Gray, Department of Dance Administrative Specialist, at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Review of applications will begin upon receipt and will continue until the position is filled.
Only completed applications will be considered.
Butler University, one of the nation’s leading master’s comprehensive universities, was founded in 1855 on the principle of equal access to higher education for both genders and all races. Butler encompasses six colleges with an enrollment of 4000 undergraduates and 500 graduate students, and emphasizes a liberal arts education with more than 60 majors. The Jordan College of the Arts, one of the five professional colleges, includes undergraduate programs in arts administration, art + design, dance, music & theatre; a graduate program in music; and the Butler Community Arts School, an arts education program.
The Jordan College of the Arts is committed to a diverse faculty and staff. Qualified candidates of diverse ethnic and racial backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply for vacant positions at all levels.
Butler University is committed to enhancing the diversity of the student body and our faculty and staff. In addition hiring decisions are made on the basis of an individual’s qualifications, past experience, overall performance, and other employment-related criteria. Butler University provides equal opportunities for employment and advancement for all individuals, regardless of age, gender, race, religion, color, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, national origin, or any other legally protected category.
|• Job Title:||Assistant/Associate Professor of Dance, Tenure Track|
|• Job Type:||Full-Time Job|
|• Employer:||Butler University|
|• Location:||Indianapolis, Indiana, United States|