Full-Time Assistant Technical Director
AMDA College and Conservatory of the Performing Arts (www.amda.edu), with campuses in Los Angeles and New York City, is one of the foremost performing arts colleges in the country. AMDA offers Bachelor of Fine Arts degree programs in Acting, Musical Theatre, Dance Theatre and Performing Arts, as well as a two-year conservatory programs.
We are currently seeking an experienced Assistant Technical Director for our New York Campus. The Assistant Technical Director will support the Director with the daily technical operations of the Production Department, including lighting, sound, set design, construction, and coordinating necessary maintenance. The Technical Director will work in a demanding environment and is expected to think creatively and respond rapidly to a constant influx of demands.
• Schedule: Monday – Friday 3pm – 11pm EST (Must be available to work evenings & late hours/ weekend hours).
• Assist the Technical Director with all technical aspects of Graduation Performances, Studio & Dance Workshops, Summer Camp performances, Class work Demonstrations, and all school events in multiple locations.
• Operate, maintain and safeguard the technical assets of the theatre, including supervising the use of lighting, sound, communications equipment, and the use and maintenance of stage facilities.
• Determine the necessary technical supports, such as lighting, sound, staging, and special needs, necessary for events and performances in advance of production dates.
• Design, set up, maintain, and operate lighting and sound systems for theatre, dance, music and other productions and projects; assist guest designers and arts with technical matters.
• Plan, construct, and paint sets and complicated props.
• A strong knowledge of sound is requested.
• Ability to guide and teach student worker crews through the technical process is a must.
• This position supervises a small 74 seat block box theatre, alumni staff, and student crew, and often assists with building facilities issues.
• Assist in recruiting, training, and assignment of tasks to student workers and technical production staff members.
• Perform other duties as assigned or necessary.
• Bachelors Degree or equivalent professional experience in Technical Theatre, Experience with Theatre Design & Technology (including CAD programs), or related technical fields.
• Minimum of three (3) years of prior experience as a Technical Director in the field of theatre production.
• Previous theater production experience and hands on technical production experience.
• Working knowledge and skills related to equipment, technologies, and duties associated with the position.
• The ability to work within the vision of each design, producing a finished set in appropriate to the allocated budget and deadlines.
• Strong commitment to excellence in Theatre. Ability to work effectively within an educational environment.
• Professional and resourceful qualities with the ability to work both independently and as a team player with or without direct supervision.
• Experience in a non-profit arts management/leadership position.
• Knowledge of techniques, methods and procedures of theatre, dance, and music productions and presentations including stage, set, sound and lighting design and implementation; stage management; stage carpentry; appropriate safety precautions and procedures.
• Excellent interpersonal leadership, organization, and communications skills (both written and oral).
• Strong work ethic, stamina and passion for the performing arts and working in an educational environment, as well as the flexibility and experience to deal with unpredictable pressures and a variable work flow or work activity.
Please submit resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to NYProductionJobs@amda.edu.
AMDA is proud to be an EOE employer M/F/D/V.
|• Job Title:||Assistant Technical Director|
|• Job Type:||Full-Time Job|
|• Location:||Los Angeles, California, United States|
Apply for this Job