Full-Time Job Assistant Manager of Visitor Experience
The Museum is seeking two new Assistant Managers in the Visitor Experience Department, which works toward ensuring that every visitor has an exceptional onsite experience. These newly created positions will be instrumental in developing, training and overseeing a brand new team of roughly 40 in-gallery staff, and will provide day-to-day leadership to this new team and to the Whitney’s volunteers. This is an exciting opportunity for an enthusiastic and driven self-starter to build the Whitney’s new team of Gallery Assistants. The Assistant Managers report to the Manager of Visitor Experience. The schedule is Wednesday through Sunday, including one evening a week (either Friday or Saturday).
• Assist in planning for, recruiting, onboarding and providing leadership to the new Gallery Assistants team of roughly 40 full and part-time staff
• Oversee Gallery Assistant scheduling by creating daily staff schedules, managing time off and sick requests, minimizing overages, forecasting recruitment needs, and reconciling schedules with payroll
• Ensure that Gallery Assistants are ready for opening on a daily basis; ensure that the team is fully briefed at the start of each day and equipped to address visitor questions
• Provide support to 100+ members of Museum’s Volunteer Program. Responsibilities include but are not limited to, recruiting and onboarding, scheduling, hosting appreciation events, and day-to-day supervision and knowledge briefing
• Inspire Gallery Assistants and Volunteers to achieve excellent customer service standards in the galleries
• Ability to confidently and courteously handle any customer issues or complaints
• Have up-to-date knowledge of all Whitney exhibitions, events and programs; assist the Manager of Visitor Experience in ensuring that this information is readily available to the entire Visitor Experience team
• Assist in the delivery of ongoing training programs for both Gallery Assistants and Volunteers
• 3+ years supervisory experience of a public-facing team
• Strong background in hospitality and customer service
• Genuine interest in creating a warm and welcoming museum environment for visitors and staff
• Friendly, professional and outgoing attitude
• Demonstrated ability with scheduling and payroll
• Adaptable – able to course-correct independently in a fast-paced environment
• Ability to regularly work weekends, holidays, and evening hours
About the Whitney
The Whitney Museum of American Art, founded in 1930 by the artist and philanthropist Gertrude Vanderbilt Whitney, houses the foremost collection of American art from the twentieth and twenty-first centuries. From her vision arose the Whitney Museum of American Art, which has been championing the most innovative art of the United States for 86 years. The core of the Whitney’s mission is to collect, preserve, interpret, and exhibit American art of our time and serve a wide variety of audiences in celebration of the complexity and diversity of art and culture in the United States. Through this mission and a steadfast commitment to artists themselves, the Whitney has long been a powerful force in support of modern and contemporary art and continues to help define what is innovative and influential in American art today.
The Whitney Museum of American Art is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The Museum does not discriminate because of age, sex, religion, race, color, creed, national origin, alienage or citizenship, disability, marital status, partnership status, veteran status, gender (including gender identity), sexual orientation, or any other factor prohibited by law. The Museum hires and promotes individuals solely on the basis of their qualifications for the job to be filled. The Museum encourages all qualified candidates to apply for vacant positions at all levels. This description shall not be construed as a contract of any sort for a specific period of employment.
How to apply:
Please send resume, cover letter and salary requirements to: email@example.com and state “Assistant Manager” in the subject line of the email.
|• Job Title:||Assistant Manager of Visitor Experience|
|• Job Type:||Full-Time Job|
|• Employer:||Whitney Museum of American Art|
|• Location:||New York, New York, United States|