Full-Time Job Assistant Director of Production
GALLO CENTER FOR THE ARTS
Position: Assistant Director of Production
Reports to: Director of Production
The Gallo Center for the Arts enriches the quality of life in California’s Central Valley by providing an inspirational civic gathering place where regional, national and international cultural activities illuminate, educate and entertain. The complex houses the Mary Stuart Rogers Theater (1,250 seats) and the Foster Family Theater (444 seats.)
The Assistant Director of Production organizes and directs the technical requirements for Gallo Center for the Arts events, including stage set-up, lighting, audio and related production functions for professional and local productions (i.e., touring and local theatrical productions, symphonies, operas, dance companies, civic light opera, touring pop, recitals, country western, big band, rock and roll, and other presentations and community productions). The Assistant Director of Production oversees all lighting, audio/visual and mechanical rigging equipment set-up, operation and strike. The Assistant Director of Production also recommends equipment rental/purchase along with other necessary stage supplies. Additional duties of the Assistant Director of Production include training, supervision, evaluation, and coordination of all stage crew and technical personnel and assisting with the maintenance of the facility.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Directs and manages the technical requirements for all theatrical events, including stage set-up, lighting, and sound requirements and related production functions for the wide variety of professional and community events scheduled in all Gallo Center for the Arts venues.
• At the direction of the Director of Production supervises department leads and crews.
• Instructs and trains stage crew, clients and others in a backstage setting regarding the proper and safe use of theatrical equipment.
• Makes safety the “Number One” priority. Evaluates working conditions and equipment use to assure compliance with prescribed operating standards and manufacturer guidelines.
• Installs and replaces theatrical equipment as required by various theatrical events.
• Performs physical inventories of lighting, sound, stage and video equipment.
• Prioritizes work of production staff assigned to an event in collaboration with the other full time crew leads.
• Prioritizes own work as related to care, maintenance, and set up of technical and backstage elements of the Gallo Center for the Arts theaters as well as supervision of rental companies.
• Comprehends and makes inferences from written manuals to maintain, operate, and train others about theatrical equipment. Understands and interprets blueprints, schematic drawings, and light plots to assure successful experiences for all groups occupying theatre spaces.
• Plans and implements training of professional, student and volunteer stage crew and works with other team members to establish safety programs.
• Attends all production meetings to plan and update technical support for all productions.
• Assists in the general maintenance of the facility, including wall repairs, replacing burnt out lights, tile repairs, and other daily maintenance tasks.
• Assists the Director of Production in coordinating with vendors, contractors, and Stanislaus County maintenance staff on larger maintenance projects.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• Ability to work effectively and independently with a high level of productivity
• Experience working with large staffs and complex schedules
• Demonstrated knowledge of theatre operations, including but not limited to, stage lighting equipment and design practices, the applications and design of amplified sound, stage equipment and terminology, scenery construction and assembly, and stage rigging and counterweight systems
• Ability to read and interpret stage drawings including blueprints, sketches, schematics, ground plans, and section drawings, and be able to reproduce accurately from such drawings
• Knowledge of Word, Excel, Outlook
• Ability to communicate effectively in both verbal and written format
• Demonstrated experience working with a culturally diverse workforce
• Ability to exercise tact and diplomacy in dealing with others and establish and maintain cooperative working relationships
• Supervisory and leaderships skills to effectively recruit, select, train and evaluate personnel
• Ability to establish and implement customer service procedures
• Ability to work at a fast pace in easy, calm, professional manner
• Sense of humor
• A Bachelor’s degree in Technical Theatre or a related field, or at least four years commensurate professional, supervisory theatre experience on live events.
• An understanding of operation principles of a multi-venue facility.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Open until filled
SALARY: Commensurate with experience
EMAIL RESUME AND COVER LETTER TO: Al Poulus, Director of Theater Operations, firstname.lastname@example.org
The Gallo Center for the Arts is an equal opportunity employer. The Gallo Center for the Arts policy prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, creed, gender, religion, marital status, registered domestic partner status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical disability (including HIV and AIDS), mental disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state, or local laws.
|• Job Title:||Assistant Director of Production|
|• Job Type:||Full-Time Job|
|• Employer:||Gallo Center for the Arts|
|• Location:||Modesto, California, United States|