Full-Time Job Assistant Curator
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
The Studio Museum in Harlem is the nexus for artists of African descent locally, nationally and internationally and for work that has been inspired and influenced by black culture. It is a site for the dynamic exchange of ideas about art and society.
Reporting directly to the Director and Chief Curator, this position represents a crucial leadership role within the Curatorial Department. As the Museum prepares for a significant expansion ahead of its 50th anniversary, the Assistant Curator will, working closely with both senior and junior members of the curatorial team, be responsible for the execution and continued articulation of the department’s strategic vision.
The position requires a candidate equipped to think broadly and innovatively about the department’s artist-centered mission, while also independently managing a wide range of administrative responsibilities.
The candidate must be comfortable working in a collaborative, experimental and culturally diverse setting and possess the openness, flexibility and diplomacy required for meaningful collaboration with contemporary artists. Exceptional speaking, writing and research abilities are required.
• Conduct original research
• Create exhibition related proposals and organize exhibitions
• Produce didactic texts and exhibition-related publications
• Manage loans and donation offers
• Create presentations and reports for the Board of Trustees and Acquisition Committee
• Management and coordination of the departmental budget and exhibition calendar
• Work closely with the museum Registrar on the maintenance and care of the permanent collection
• Work collaboratively across multiple departments, including the Director’s Office, the Registrar, Communications, Community Engagement and Public Programs, Education, Development, Finance and Information Technology
• Engage multiple audiences and stakeholders, both internal and external, across a variety of platforms
• Cultivate and maintain relationships with a diverse constituency of artists, trustees, members of the press, professional associations and local non-profit organizations
• Solicit and manage the touring of Studio Museum exhibitions to other museum venues, and coordinate non-Studio Museum, traveling or guest-curated exhibitions presented at the Museum
• Other duties as assigned
• Master’s degree in art history or a related field, with emphasis on Contemporary Art and/or African-American Art, history or culture
• 5-7 years of curatorial experience within a Museum setting
• Outstanding written (both academic and editorial) and verbal communication skills
• Excellent organizational and analytical skills; experience with administrative and clerical duties
• Strong background in the history of modern and contemporary art and art by artists of African descent
• Ability to speak and write persuasively on the role of culturally specific institutions in the museum field
• Supervisory experience and demonstrated project management skills
• Excellent computer skills, particularly MS platforms, including Word, Photoshop, Outlook and Excel, digital imaging experience a plus
• Strong Interpersonal skills and collaborative spirit
• Bi- or Multi-lingual a plus
• Familiarity with New York art and culture communities
Salary commensurate with experience, skills and knowledge.
The Studio Museum in Harlem is an equal opportunity employer and considers all candidates for employment regardless of race, color, sex, age, gender identification, national origin, creed, disability, marital status, sexual orientation or political affiliation.
HOW TO APPLY:
• Cover letter summarizing the applicant’s most relevant work experience; educational background and familiarity with art by artists of African descent; and the candidate’s sense of their own potential contribution to the Museum and its mission
• One writing sample with a focus on artists of African descent or artworks by an artist of African descent
• The names, titles and contact information of three professional references able to speak to the candidate’s skills, experience, character and commitment
Please forward application materials in one PDF to: email@example.com
The subject line of this email should include the applicant’s name and the position for which they are applying (e.g. “Applicant’s Name—Assistant Curator”).
Please note that while careful consideration will be given to each submission, the Museum will only be able to contact those applicants whose knowledge, skills and work experience best fit the requirements of the position.
No phone calls or faxes, please.
|• Job Title:||Assistant Curator|
|• Job Type:||Full-Time Job|
|• Employer:||The Studio Museum in Harlem|
|• Location:||New York, New York, United States|